How to suck out a snot from a baby: advice from a doctor and a description of various methods
On the question of how to suck out a snot from a babe, one can not answer unequivocally. Some pediatricians do not advise using this method, and some people welcome it so as not to apply medication. In any case, cleansing the nose of the child is a separate procedure that requires study and accuracy.
Causes and treatment of cold in children
In medicine, there are several causes of a common cold in newborns. It can occur because of the penetration of infants into the body of the infection or various allergens. Snot can also appear due to teething in the baby's teeth, although physicians do not officially confirm this theory.
If the parents complain to the doctor about the snot in the baby, then in the first place, he can advise them on medication, but experienced moms strongly recommend sucking out the snot, so as not to harm the weak immunity of the child.
Cleansing the baby's spout from secretions
So, first you need to figure out whether you can suck the snot from the baby. Many parents strongly recommend doing this procedure, because stuffy nose prevents a child from eating normally and sleeping. However, any mother should take it very seriously. It is important to control the force so as not to harm the baby's mucosa.
There is another reason why doctors do not recommend this method of treating the common cold. The fact is that too frequent removal of a snot from a child from the nose can increase the number of excretions.
Then there is another question: how many times can you suck the snot in a baby for a day? It can not be answered unambiguously. Experienced moms never do this procedure often. Only in cases of extreme necessity. With an infectious rhinitis, it is enough to clean the baby's nostrils from the secretions no more than 3 times a day.
How to suck the snot from a baby? Methods
In emergency situations, when a child suffocates from a cold, the mother can use the improvised means. There are a lot of different ways to remove from the baby's spout of excreta, however, the main methods can be attributed only three:
- Aspiration by aspirator, which is sold in any pharmacy. This method is the most sparing, because this device was created specifically for this purpose. These devices are inexpensive, and any parent will understand the operation. How to suck a snot from a baby with an aspirator, we'll tell you later.
- Removing the snot with the mouth. To some, this method will seem unacceptable, and doctors with these will agree. The fact is that this is very unhygienic, but it is when using this method that the mother can independently control the strength and quantity of secretions.
- Use of a rubber pear small in size. This method has long been a thing of the past, although because of its cheapness, many parents still apply it in the case.
Now it's time to examine each of the three main methods more closely.
Cleansing the nose with the mouth of the mother
A simple and effective way. Probably, it is not necessary to describe step by step how to suck out a snot from a baby with a mouth. It should only be noted that the method absolutely does not require any financial investment. It is enough for parents to have at hand only a tube with which it will be possible to remove the contents of the nose.
Generally, doctors are surprised that in modern society, such methods are still practiced by mummies, but there are also those who do not consider the suction of secretions by the mouth something awful. Such a method has the right to exist. The fact is that it is good in the event that the parent does not have the opportunity to go to the pharmacy, and to save the baby is necessary. Also it can be used on the road or where there is simply no opportunity to buy a more modern product.
Some moms also call a rubber pear enema. Pears, like aspirators, are sold in pharmacies. They were used before, when the medicine has not yet come up with more modern ways of removing the secretions from the baby's nose. This method is already morally obsolete, although some parents still resort to it.
How to suck a snot from a baby pear? Very simple. The nose of the device is inserted into the nostril. Then the pear should be pressed and released, like a pipette.
Despite the fact that the method seems understandable and simple, the pear has several drawbacks. Firstly, it is very difficult to wash it after removing the secretions. Mom has to repeatedly draw water into the device, but this does not guarantee a complete purification. Also, doctors say that the pear is not very effective in removing the discharge from the nose. She takes only the most liquid snot.
Still it is necessary to tell, that in some cases allocation at children settle down too deeply. Closer to the bridge of the nose. In this case, the rubber pear will be an absolutely pointless device, because its spout can not be entered at the required distance.
Using an aspirator
Experienced mothers, when they are faced with the question of how to suck out the snot from a baby, use modern and patented devices - aspirators. They are specially created in order to maximally save the baby from secretions, and also help to do it quickly and safely.
All aspirators can be divided into three main groups:
- mechanical (look like a tube with a special tip.) Removal of the snot occurs with the help of the inspiration of the mother: you need to insert the tip of the tube into the baby's spout and suck in the air);
- electronic (the principle of operation, like the mechanical ones, only thus the help of the parent is not necessary: you simply insert the tip into the nasal passage and press the button);
- vacuum (create a light vacuum in the nostril. They work with a vacuum cleaner, which is connected to them).
Each category of aspirators is good in its own way. Each also has its drawbacks (see table).
Advantages and disadvantages of aspirators
High noise level, can not be used if there are crusts
Proper process management
After analyzing all the methods that help to cleanse the child's nose, there is only one question left. How to suck the snot from a baby? How is it true to conduct this procedure to an inexperienced mother?
So, there is nothing complicated in this. It is enough to remember a few simple rules:
- To clean the spout, Mom will need some turundochka. Of course, it can be made from a regular piece of cotton wool. However, then the turunda will turn loose and you will not be able to clear the nose of the discharge. For these purposes, a plain wadded disk is better suited, divided into two parts.
- In order not to damage the baby's nostril, the turunda is best dipped in some oil. Then cotton wool will easily go deep and remove the most inaccessible selection.
- It is strictly forbidden to use cotton buds for parents, especially inexperienced mothers. They, at first glance, will clear the nose much better than ordinary cotton wool, but if the depth of insertion is not respected, it is easy to damage the baby's mucous membrane.
- It would be useless to have special children's cotton swabs with a stopper. The fact is that the limiter on them is set too high. Mom will only reach the lowest parts of the spout.
- Also, doctors strongly recommend washing the baby's nose before sucking out secretions. This method will soften the existing crusts and remove the snot as much as possible.
Washing of the nose with saline solutions
Salt solutions, according to many pediatricians, are the best way to wash children's spouts. Sea salt has a positive effect on the dynamics of treatment of the common cold, especially if it is of an infectious nature.
But how to suck the snot from the baby with a saline solution?
This method perfectly dilutes the existing secretions and removes even a strong nasal congestion. After using it, you must immediately remove the liquid with an aspirator. Repeat several times.
The disadvantage of salt solutions is the presence of a number of contraindications. Some parents forget to consult their doctor before using them, which aggravates the situation even more. In no case should you use medicines such as "Aquamaris" or "Aqualora" yourself.
Washing of the nose with saline solution
And if parents who care about their baby's health do not have the opportunity to visit a pediatrician? How to suck a snot from a baby in this case? Or can we neglect this stage?
In no case. In such situations, you can use the saline purchased in any pharmacy, which is intended for intravenous injections. Of course, some parents use different herbal decoctions or simple mineral water, but a special solution will still be the best remedy.
Fizrastvor perfectly softens the crusts in the spout of the baby and does not hurt him. The only drawback of this tool is the form of release. The solution is sold in large cylinders, and with its introduction, the mother will need to use a syringe, so maximum care is required.