How to make a cat shot in the withers: step by step instructions and recommendations
For every loving owner, the need to put fluffy pet shot seems to be a real tragedy. Of course, as infinitely to betray those who trust you creature, to grasp, to squeeze and hurt? Not always the procedure is painless for the owner. No matter how gentle the cat, and in such a situation, it may scratch or bite. Today we will talk about how to make a cat shot in the shoulder on their own, causing him minimal pain.
Action for the benefit
First and foremost accept the idea that it is a necessity. And extremely important for the health of your pet. And of course, do not have a choice of drugs themselves. Only the appointment of a veterinarian should be performed unconditionally. Incidentally, in this case, the specialist will explain you how to make the cat a shot in the withers.
The second step is to calm down. Animals are very responsive to your emotions, so before to start to chase the cat, prepare the syringe, the blanket that you wrapped pet, and take a few deep breaths. Now you can go in search of the patient.
Syringes and medicine
As a rule, a veterinarian explains in detail how to make the cat a shot in the withers. That is, you will just have to follow his recommendations. Prescribing the injection, the doctors will tell you what to take syringes. If this point has been overlooked, it is best to opt for insulin. They have needle thin and short, they will not cause severe pain for your pet. The dosage is usually small, so the size will be enough. Ask the doctor about the nature of the injection. For preparations oil-based is best to take the syringes with detachable needle. In other cases, a good solid.
So how to make the cat a shot in the withers you will need from beginning to end, it is better to prepare in advance. In particular, a vial of medicine should be used only if it is at room temperature. After removing it from the refrigerator, first heat in the palms.
Before the procedure, rate the character of your pet. There are among the representatives of the cat world courageous individuals who will endure any torture. In this case, the cat is likely only dissatisfied shake paws and go to tidy the rumpled hair. However, as among people who meet the hysterical personality who will be clawing, biting and screaming. It is therefore important to prepare a diaper or blanket to quickly wrap up the cat and while he did not understand, to get a shot. The less you will fear yourself, the more successful the procedure will be.
Many owners think that an intramuscular injection is easier to perform. Actually this is not so. If you know how to inject a cat in the withers, once again do not have to drive to the veterinarian. This does not mean that you can treat the animal at their discretion. But the clinic usually pet carry once a day, in critical condition twice. And in addition, may require additional injections (several times per day). Here is something just you can do yourself.
At first glance this procedure is so terrible. A shot cat subcutaneously in the shoulder easier because this place is not too sensitive. A little kitten the mother picks for him, and he never expresses signs of discontent. However, to pierce the withers with a needle can be difficult, especially if it gets into the muscle.
But there are physiological reasons for the choice of location. Subcutaneous adipose tissue has a loose structure and good suction power. That is why in this part of the body can introduce large amounts of liquid, in particular, oily solutions. Because of their slow absorption use medication necessarily in the form of heat and in a small amount.
Subcutaneous fat layer has good blood supply, which provides excellent impact on all organs and systems. The absorption occurs faster than when used by mouth, but slower than intramuscular injection.
- It is best if the animal will sit quietly. So you have much more chances to perform the procedure painlessly. So as to inject the cat in the withers subcutaneously difficult, you can act alone, however, will be easier to gather together. One distracts the animal, strokes and holds, and quickly makes a second shot.
- Disinfect the injection site with alcohol is not necessary.
- Filling a syringe, be sure to close the cap. Do not touch the needle with your hands. Remove the protective cap only before making the injection.
- The drug should be at room temperature.
- A needle is inserted not more than one centimeter.
The most important thing is sterility, because you don't want even more harm to pet his prick.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Then open the sterile syringe. At every injection to take new, otherwise you risk to introduce the infection into the wound.
- If vial was previously opened, its contents cannot be used. Don't endanger the health of the cat.
- Make sure to take the exact medication that you need.
- Open the vial.
- Collect the drug.
- Expel air from the syringe. To do this, keeping it up with the needle, slowly press the plunger until the first drop of medication.
We came close to how to inject the cat into the withers. The scheme is simple enough, but requires practical skills. The first time everything seems difficult, but it is necessary to perform this procedure properly once from the beginning to the end, as you will understand that there is nothing to fear.
- Pull the skin on the withers of the animal. Here it is possible not to be afraid, surely you've done it before during games with it, fingering the silky fur. Three to four centimeters up the skin rises quietly and painlessly. This will be the site of drug administration.
- Now it's time to put a shot cat. How to make at home this procedure less painful, we are trying to figure out. Pulling the fold of skin, push her middle finger to form a pocket. This will inject the drug.
- It is very important to keep the syringe. It needs to go parallel to the spinal needle penetrates the skin no more than an inch. If you use an insulin syringe, it is possible not to worry about it. He has a short needle so it can be entered almost completely.
- This is the crucial moment, but now you know how to do a cat shot in the withers. Manual says that at this point the animal usually ceases to resist. The needle is already under the skin, and you can start to introduce the medicine.
- The main thing now is not to hurry. The slower you perform this procedure, the less painful the process. For example, 20 ml of medication is injected about two minutes. To calculate the proportion is a snap.
- Carefully follow the process. If the coat near the injection start makret, so you don't penetrate the skin, and the medication the right place.
- Removing the needle, a few minutes hold the animal on his hands, calming him. To disinfect wounds is not required, but if you will be calm, then take pre-pharmacy chlorhexidine.
- After the procedure you need to gently massage the injection site to the medicine dispersed.
Withers and not only
We discussed how to make the withers shot the cat. The manual emphasizes that it is the easiest method of medical care to the animal, which easily mastered every owner. However, the injection of medication can be not only withers. A similar procedure can be performed on any area of the body of the animal, where fairly well drawn skin and a well-developed subcutaneous tissue. However, withers wins in the sense that here the least amount of nerve endings.
There is nothing easier than to take a shot in the withers cat. How to put a shot into the muscle, the question is more complex. Usually such procedures is the responsibility of the veterinary nurse. However, there are times when help is needed immediately, and the time of day or distance makes it difficult to call a specialist.
- So, for intramuscular administration is not recommended a large amount of drugs. This is usually not more than 1.5 ml.
- Open vial, remove a sterile syringe and draw him the cure.
- It is now important to determine the location for the injection. To do this, stretch the back leg and feel the muscle. She rolls under the fingers. The best place is the middle of the thigh.
- Be sure to palpate with your fingers to the bone. It is important to determine the drug administration, the owner did not hit it with a needle.
The technique of injection
This procedure is transferred heavier as it is painful. However, in your power to make things right, then the discomfort will be short-lived.
- The syringe to take in hand so that you do not intercept.
- The movement should be fast, sharp and accurate. The slower part of the needle into the muscle, the more it hurts. Often animals are very patient. This is because the pain threshold is higher than in humans. But do not abuse it.
- Correct direction of the needle from the backside of the legs. It is introduced at an angle of 45 degrees, not more than 1 cm.
- After the puncture is made, don't hurry. Each ml of solution will take at least 3 seconds. With each successive ml is injected slowly, already for 6-8 seconds.
If the cat is very tense, try to calm her down before the procedure. Pat and set before her a plate with a treat. You can do a shot in a forepaw, but the muscle is smaller and you will be much more difficult. Immediately after the injection, the cat can be let go. If you require multiple injections of the same, each time we change a paw into which you are entering medicine.
Instead of a conclusion
To master the technique of injections is a snap, once is enough to carry them into practice. But we should not abuse his ability. To prescribe drugs, dosage and duration of therapy should only veterinarian. Following his recommendations, you can do some treatments at home, alone. Following the given instructions, you will not harm your pet and quickly pass the full course of treatment.