How to make a cat an injection in the withers: step by step instruction and recommendations
For every loving owner, the need to put a furry pet into a prick seems like a real tragedy. Of course, how can you betray an infinitely trusting creature to you, grab, press and cause pain? Not always the procedure is painless for the master himself. No matter how tender the cat might be, it can easily scratch or bite in such a situation. Today we will talk about how to make a cat an injection in the withers yourself, causing him a minimum of pain.
Actions for the benefit of
First of all, put up with the idea that this is a necessity. And extremely important for the health of your pet. And of course, do not do it yourself. Only the appointment of a veterinarian should be carried out unconditionally. By the way, in this case a specialist on the spot will explain to you how to make a cat an injection in the withers.
The second step is to calm down. Animals respond very strongly to your emotions, so before you start chasing a cat, prepare a syringe, a blanket into which you wrap the pet, and take a few deep breaths. Now you can go in search of the patient.
Syringes and medicine
Typically, the veterinarian explains in detail how to make a cat prick in the withers. That is, you will only have to follow his recommendations. Prescribing injections, doctors will tell you which syringes to take. If this moment has been overlooked, then it is best to stop the choice of insulin. The needles are thin and short, they will not cause much pain to your pet. The dosage is usually small, so the size is enough. Ask the doctor about the nature of this injection. For oil-based preparations, it is best to take syringes with a removable needle. In other cases the whole is good.
Since you will have to make an injection in the withers yourself from the beginning to the end, it's best to cook everything in advance. In particular, the ampoule with the drug should be used only if it is at room temperature. Taking it out of the refrigerator, first bury it in the palms of your hands.
Even before the procedure begins, evaluate the nature of your pet. There are among the representatives of the cat world courageous individuals who will endure any torture. In this case, the cat, most likely, only will dissatisfiedly shake paws and will leave to put in order the crumpled wool. However, as among people, there are hysterical personalities who will scratch, bite and scream. That's why it is important to prepare a diaper or blanket, quickly wrap the cat and, until he does not understand anything, make an injection. The less you fear yourself, the more successful the procedure will be.
It seems to many owners that an intramuscular injection is easier. In fact, this is not the case. If you know how to properly inject a cat into the withers, then once again do not have to go to the veterinarian. This does not mean that you can treat the animal at your own discretion. But the clinic usually carries a pet once a day, in serious condition - twice. And besides this, additional injections may be required (several times a day). That's it, you just can do it yourself.
Only at first glance this procedure is so terrible. To make a prick a cat subcutaneously in the withers is easier because this place is not too sensitive. The little kitten is picked up by the mother for him, and he never shows signs of displeasure. However, piercing the withers with a needle can be difficult, especially if you get into the muscle.
But there are also physiological reasons for choosing a place. Subcutaneous fatty tissue has a loose structure and good absorption capacity. This is why large volumes of liquid, in particular, oil solutions, can be introduced into this part of the body. Because of their slow absorption, use medicines necessarily in a warm form and in small amounts.
The subcutaneous fat layer has a good blood supply, which provides an excellent effect on all organs and systems. At the same time, absorption is faster than with oral administration, but slower than with intramuscular injection.
- Best if the animal is quiet. So you are much more likely to perform the procedure painlessly. Since it is not hard to subcut the cat in the withers, it is possible to act alone, but it will be easier to get together. One distracts the animal, ironing and holding, and the second quickly injects.
- Disinfect the place of introduction with alcohol is not necessary.
- Fill the syringe with a medicine, be sure to cover it with a cap. Do not touch the needle with your hands. Remove the protective cap can only be done before the injection.
- The drug should be at room temperature.
- The needle is inserted no more than one centimeter.
Preparation for the procedure
The most important thing is sterility, because you do not want to hurt your pet even more with your prick.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Then open a sterile syringe. Be sure to take a new one at each injection, otherwise you risk infecting the wound.
- If the ampoule was opened earlier, its contents can not be used. Do not endanger the health of a cat.
- Make sure that you have taken exactly the medicine you need.
- Open the ampoule.
- Collect the drug.
- Drive the air out of the syringe. For this, holding it up with a needle, slowly press the piston until the first drop of the medicine appears.
The technique of introduction
We came very close to how to make a prick a cat in the withers. The scheme is quite simple, but requires practical skills. For the first time, everything seems complicated, but it is necessary to perform this procedure correctly once from the beginning to the end, as you will understand that there is nothing to be afraid of.
- Pull the skin back on the animal's withers. Here you can strongly not be afraid, for sure you already did it while playing with it, fingering a silky fur. For three to four centimeters up the skin rises quite calmly and painlessly. This will be the place of introduction of the medicine.
- Now it's time to put a cat prick. How to make the procedure at home the least painful, we are trying to find out. Pulling out the skin fold, press it with your middle finger to make a pocket. This is where we will introduce the drug.
- It is very important to keep the syringe properly. It must go parallel to the spine, the needle penetrates under the skin no more than a centimeter. If you use an insulin syringe, then you can strongly not worry about this. His needle is short, so it can be injected almost completely.
- This is the most crucial moment, but now you know how to inject a cat into the withers. The instruction says that at this moment the animal usually ceases to resist. The needle is already under the skin, and you can start injecting the medicine.
- Now the most important thing is not to hurry. The slower this procedure is executed, the less painful the process itself. For example, 20 ml of the drug is administered for about two minutes. Calculate the proportion is not difficult.
- Closely follow the process. If the hair near the injection site began to wet, then you did not pierce the skin, and the medicine did not get anywhere.
- After taking out the needle, hold the animal on your hands for several minutes, soothing it. It is not required to carry out disinfection of the wound, but if it makes you feel better, take chlorhexidine first in the pharmacy.
- After the procedure, you need to massage the injection site a little, so that the medicine dispenses.
Withers and not only
We examined in detail how to properly make a wit in the wit of a cat. The instruction emphasizes that this is the simplest way of medical assistance to an animal, which every master will easily master. However, the place of drug administration can be not only the withers. A similar procedure can be performed on any part of the animal's body where the skin is stretched well enough and there is developed subcutaneous tissue. However, withers win in the sense that there is the least amount of nerve endings.
There is nothing easier than to do an injection in the withers of a cat. How to put an injection in the muscle - this is a more complicated matter. Usually such procedures are handled by a veterinary nurse. However, there are cases when help is needed immediately, and the time of day or distance does not allow you to quickly call a specialist.
- So, for intramuscular injection a large amount of the drug is not recommended. Usually it is not more than 1.5 ml.
- Detach the ampoule, remove the sterile syringe and take the medication.
- Now it is important to determine the place for the injection. To do this, slightly pull back the hind foot and feel for the muscle. It rolls under your fingers. The best place is the middle of the thigh.
- Be sure to feel with your fingers a bone. It is important that, after determining the place of administration of the drug, the host does not get into it with a needle.
Technique for the injection
This procedure is more difficult to bear, because it is painful. However, in your power to do everything right, then the discomfort will be short.
- You need to take the syringe into your hand so that you do not intercept it later.
- The movement itself should be fast, sharp and accurate. The slower the needle enters the muscle, the more painful it is. Often animals are very patient. This is because the pain threshold is higher for them than for the person. But do not abuse it.
- The correct direction of the needle is from the back of the paw. It is introduced at an angle of 45 degrees, not more than 1 cm.
- After the puncture is completed, it is not necessary to hurry. For each ml of the solution, it takes at least 3 seconds. In this case, each subsequent ml is injected more slowly, already in 6-8 seconds.
If the cat is very tense, try to calm it down before the procedure. Stroke and put in front of her a plate of delicacy. You can make an injection in the front paw, but here the muscle is smaller, and you will be much more difficult. Immediately after the introduction of the drug, the cat can be released. If several similar injections are required, then each time change the paw to which you will inject the medicine.
Instead of concluding
It is not difficult to master the technique of injections, it is enough to execute them once in practice. However, do not abuse your skill. Prescribe drugs, dosage and duration of therapy should only be a veterinarian. Following his recommendations, you can perform some procedures at home, yourself. Observing the above instructions, you do not harm your pet and will quickly undergo a full course of treatment.