Than to raise a hemoglobin at pregnancy: the list of products, preparations and recommendations
Pregnancy is a difficult time for the female body. At this time, the load on all internal organs increases significantly. For this reason, the state of the future mother is constantly and closely monitored. One of the indicators that cause anxiety of the doctor is a decrease in the level of hemoglobin. So what is anemia and how to increase hemoglobin in pregnancy? Let's deal with it.
What is hemoglobin?
Hemoglobin is a protein of animal origin, having a complex structure. It binds to oxygen entering the blood and carries it throughout the body.
There are certain norms of hemoglobin. So, it is normal for a pregnant woman if its concentration in the blood reaches 120-160 g / l. If the indicator is lower, then we are talking about a certain degree of anemia (90-110 g / l - mild, 80-90 - medium, less than 80 - severe form of anemia).
To maintain the average level of hemoglobin, it is enough for an average person to consume between 5 and 15 milligrams of iron per day. For a pregnant woman, the minimum indicator increases several times (up to 15-18 milligrams).
Lowering the level of iron helps reduce hemoglobin, which ensures saturation of blood cells with oxygen. Oxygen starvation can harm not only the future mother, but her child, so the question of how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy, it is worth asking immediately, once you feel the first symptoms of anemia.
Characteristic signs of a decrease in hemoglobin
Anemia is characterized by certain symptoms. So, a woman can feel weakness, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness. It may start to worry about shortness of breath, fainting is possible. Appearance is also changing. Hair starts to fall out, the skin becomes pale, dry and dehydrated.
Despite the seeming harmlessness, anemia carries a lot of possible complications for both the future mother and her baby. It may begin toxicosis, the risk of miscarriage increases, it is possible the development of gestosis, detachment of the placenta and premature birth.
How to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy? Ways
The use of one or another method depends on the severity of the disease. So, when diagnosing the initial stage of anemia, the doctor tells how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy, and definitely recommends eating, sleeping, resting and spending more time in the fresh air.
In more severe cases, it is not recommended to take risks, it is better to start medical treatment immediately.
One way to get rid of the symptoms of anemia is proper nutrition. The diet of a woman bearing a baby must be varied and enriched with various vitamins. In cases of detection of anemia, it is recommended that an increased amount of products containing iron be included.
So what foods increase hemoglobin in pregnancy? The leader in the content of iron is meat. Especially the liver (and veal, and pork, and chicken) is allocated. It can contain from 7 to 20 mg of iron per 100 grams of product. This element is also rich in the egg yolk. It contains at least 7 mg of iron.
It is the meat products that contribute to a qualitative and rapid increase in hemoglobin. This is due to the rapid assimilation by the body of all trace elements from animal products.
Food of vegetable origin is also rich in iron. For example, some cereals, such as lentils, peas, buckwheat, can contain up to 12 mg of iron per 100 g of product.
A large amount of compulsory for the body element is found in nuts. So, pistachios and almonds contain up to 4 mg of iron.
Do not forget about vegetables and greens. Tomatoes, dill, parsley, pumpkin, beets, spinach, dandelion leaves and young turnips are all foods that are no less rich in iron.
From fruits and berries, you can distinguish green apples, persimmons, bananas, pomegranates, peaches, apricots, quinces, blueberries, strawberries and black currants.
However, despite the large content of nutrients in plant foods, digestion by their body is more difficult and slower. For this reason, the use of vegetable products will be in large quantities, rather than meat, to achieve the desired result and maintain a good state of health.
What else contributes to the increase of iron and how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy?
Do not neglect food rich in vitamin B12, because it promotes the absorption of such an important element for the body of a woman. It is found mainly in meat. In smaller quantities, vitamin is found in eggs, as well as in dairy products.
Good and high-quality treatment of anemia is helped by a sufficient intake of berries, citrus fruits rich in vitamin C.
Very often doctors recommend supplementing the treatment with folic acid, because the need for it during pregnancy is greatly increased. In addition, vitamin promotes the assimilation of iron.
Another method of getting rid of anemia is the use of drug treatment. The doctor, who watches the course of pregnancy, will tell you what to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy.
At an average degree of development of a morbid condition iron-containing capsules, and also syrups are appointed. In severe cases, solutions for intravenous administration are used.
There are some rules for using medicines. So, they are not recommended for use with dairy products, as well as black tea. These types of food can reduce the effectiveness of tablets. As already mentioned, to achieve the desired result, it is often recommended to supplement the treatment with folic acid and vitamin C.
Preparations that increase hemoglobin during pregnancy:
- "Sorbifer Durules". The drug contains not only iron, but also ascorbic acid, which contributes to its assimilation. The drug is taken only on the advice of a doctor, because it can cause malfunction in the digestive tract.
- "Maltofer". Used for mild forms of anemia. The drug is often prescribed because it is well tolerated.
- "Ferrum Lek". The product is available in several forms: tablets, syrup, liquid for injection.
- Totem. A universal drug that is prescribed not only to pregnant women, but also to children.
- Replace black tea with green.
- Enter the pomegranate juice in the diet. It promotes the assimilation of iron.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C: fruit and tomato juices, fruits.
- Do not mix foods rich in iron, with drugs and food to increase the level of calcium.
- Take medications that contain folic acid. It promotes the assimilation of iron.
Folk remedies for the treatment of anemia
If your doctor's recommendations on how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy seem to be inadequate, you can always refer to proven methods. There is a huge number of funds that are no less effective than the use of medicines. So how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy with folk remedies?
Here are some proven recipes:
- Prepare a decoction of fresh strawberry leaves.
- Take the rule before each meal to eat a spoonful of honey with garlic.
- Prepare the tincture from the decoction of nettle and wine. Take a day, one spoonful.
- Buckwheat is very rich in iron. Pour it overnight with boiling water, and by morning you will have a delicious and healthy breakfast.
- Fresh from fresh apples, cranberry mors, spoons of beet juice will help to increase hemoglobin.
- Take a handful of walnuts and green buckwheat. Grind into flour and add honey. The resulting mixture is useful to use once a day on a tablespoon.
- A mixture of dried fruits such as prunes, dried apricots, raisins, with the addition of honey, nuts and lemon will not only relieve anemia, but also strengthen immunity. Take the drug three times a day for one tablespoon.
- Mix in equal proportions apple, beet and carrot juices. Drink twice a day.
Excess of the level of iron in the blood
If you still did not escape the frequent diagnosis of pregnant women - anemia, then do not rush to use all existing methods. Ask your doctor, he will tell you how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy quickly and without harm to health.
Excess iron in the blood can be no less dangerous to the body. Maximum Fe should not exceed 140 g / l. Otherwise, it will speak of a thickening of the blood, which can lead to poor nutrition and oxygenation of the fetus.
Thus, a low level of hemoglobin is not a verdict. There are a lot of ways and means to improve it. Do not run this state, and then you and your baby will be happy, beautiful and healthy.