Than to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy: list of foods, medications and recommendations
Pregnancy is a difficult time for the female body. At this time, the load on the internal organs increases significantly. For this reason, the expectant mother is under constant and close surveillance. One indicator of concern is the reduction of hemoglobin. So what is a anemia and how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy? Let's deal.
Hemoglobin – a protein of animal origin with a complex structure. It is associated with entering the blood with oxygen and carries it throughout the body.
There are certain levels of hemoglobin. So normal for a pregnant woman is considered if its concentration in the blood reaches 120-160 g/L. If the figure is lower, we are talking about a certain degree of anemia (90-110 g/l – mild, 80-90 – medium, less than 80 severe form of anemia).
To maintain an average hemoglobin level of the average person needs to consume between 5 to 15 milligrams of iron per day. For pregnant women, the minimal index is multiplied several times (up to 15-18 milligrams).
The lowering of the level of iron contributes to the reduction of hemoglobin, which ensures the saturation of blood cells with oxygen. Oxygen deprivation can harm not only the expectant mother but also her child, so the question of how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy, you should ask as soon as you feel the first symptoms of anemia.
The characteristic sign of a decrease in hemoglobin
For anaemia characterized by certain symptoms. So, a woman may feel weakness, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness. It may begin to disturb shortness of breath, possible fainting. Appearance also changes. The hair starts to fall, the skin becomes pale, dry and dehydrated.
Despite the seeming harmlessness, anemia carries a lot of possible complications for both the future mom and her baby. Can start morning sickness increases the risk of miscarriage may develop preeclampsia, placental abruption and premature birth.
How to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy? Ways
The use of a particular method depends on the severity of the disease. So, if you are diagnosed with the early stages of anemia, the doctor tells how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy, and always recommends improved nutrition, sleep, relax more and spend more time in the fresh air.
In more severe cases, the risk is not recommended, it is better to start medication.
A change of diet
One of the ways to get rid of the symptoms of anemia is proper nutrition. The diet of a woman who bears a child should be varied and enriched with various vitamins. In cases of anemia it is recommended that the inclusion of a high number of products that contain iron.
So what foods increase hemoglobin during pregnancy? A leader in the content of iron is meat. Especially notable is the liver (and veal, and pork, and chicken). It can contain from 7 to 20 mg of iron per 100 grams of product. Rich in this element and the egg yolk. It contains at least 7 mg of iron.
That meat products contribute to the qualitative and rapid increase in hemoglobin. This is due to the rapid assimilation of all trace elements from animal products.
Food of plant origin is also rich in iron. For example, some cereals such as lentils, peas, buckwheat, can contain up to 12 mg of iron per 100 grams of product.
A large number of mandatory body element contains nuts. So, pistachios and almonds contain up to 4 mg of iron.
Do not forget about vegetables and herbs. Tomatoes, dill, parsley, pumpkin, beets, spinach, dandelion leaves and tops of young turnips – all products, not less rich in iron.
Fruit and berries can distinguish green apples, persimmons, bananas, pomegranates, peaches, apricots, quince, blueberries, strawberries and black currants.
However, despite the large contents of nutrients in plant foods, absorb their body is harder and slower. For this reason, use of herbal products have in larger quantities than meat, to achieve the desired result and maintain good health.
What else contributes to iron and how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy?
Do not neglect foods rich in vitamin B12, because it promotes the assimilation is so important for a woman's body element. It is contained mainly in meat. In smaller amounts vitamin is found in eggs and dairy products.
Good quality treatment of anemia helps sufficient use of berries, citrus fruits rich in vitamin C.
Very often, doctors recommend to Supplement the treatment with folic acid intake, because the need for it during pregnancy greatly increases. In addition, the vitamin promotes the absorption of iron.
Another method of getting rid of anaemia is the use of medication. The doctor watching the course of pregnancy, be sure to tell, than to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy.
With an average degree of development of the disease state are assigned to the iron-containing capsules, and syrups. In severe cases, use intravenous solutions.
For medication, there are some rules. So, they are not recommended for use with dairy products, as well as black tea. These types of foods can reduce the effectiveness of the pills. As already mentioned, to achieve the desired result, it is often recommended to Supplement the treatment with folic acid supplementation and use of vitamin C.
Drugs that increase hemoglobin during pregnancy:
- "Sorbifer Durules". Drug contain not only iron, but also ascorbic acid, which promotes its absorption. The tool is only accepted on the recommendation of a doctor because it may cause malfunction of the digestive tract.
- "Maltofer". Used in milder forms of anemia. The drug is often administered because of its good portability.
- "Ferrum Lek". The tool is available in several forms: tablet, syrup, liquid for injection.
- "Totem". A generic drug that is administered only to pregnant women but also children.
- Replace black tea green.
- Enter in the diet of pomegranate juice. It promotes the absorption of iron.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C: fruit and tomato juices, fruit.
- Do not mix foods rich in iron, with drugs and food to increase the level of calcium.
- Take drugs containing folic acid. It promotes the absorption of iron.
Folk remedies in the treatment of anemia
If your doctor's advice about how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy, seem to you insufficient, you can always turn to proven methods. There are a huge number of means, no less effective than the use of drugs. So as to raise the hemoglobin in pregnancy folk remedies?
Here are some tested recipes:
- Prepare a decoction of the fresh leaves of wild strawberry.
- The rule is before each meal to eat a spoonful of honey with garlic.
- Prepare a tincture of decoction of nettle and wine. Take a day one spoon.
- The buckwheat is very rich in iron. Fill it with boiling water over night, and by morning you will have prepared delicious and healthy Breakfast.
- Juice from fresh apples, cranberry juice, tablespoons of beet juice will help to increase hemoglobin.
- Grab a handful of walnuts and green buckwheat. Mix in the flour and add the honey. The resulting mixture is useful to use once a day on a tablespoon.
- A mixture of dried fruits such as prunes, apricots, raisins, honey, nuts and lemon will not only prevent anemia, but also strengthen the immune system. Take three times a day for one tablespoon.
- Combine in equal proportions of Apple, beet and carrot juices. Eat a drink twice a day.
Excess iron levels in the blood
If you still have not escaped the frequent diagnosis of pregnant women is anemia, you should not rush to use all the existing methods. Ask your doctor for advice, he will tell you how to increase hemoglobin during pregnancy quickly and without harm to health.
Excess iron in the blood may be no less dangerous for the body. The maximum rate of Fe should not exceed the border of 140 g/L. otherwise, it will talk about blood clots, which can lead to poor nutrition and oxygenation of the fetus.
Thus, low level of hemoglobin is not a death sentence. There are plenty of ways and means to improve it. Do not run this state, and then you and your baby will be happy, beautiful and healthy.