Banana in pregnancy: benefits and harms
In our country, bananas are no longer considered exotic and inaccessible fruit, despite the fact that they grow far beyond its borders. Malaysia – the birthplace of bananas, but now the cultivation of this culture is practiced in many countries around the world.
Bananas are very tasty and healthy, they are given as complementary foods to young children, used for diseases of the intestines and stomach. Do not prohibit to use this product and pregnant women, except in certain cases.
Bananas during pregnancy
Pregnancy is a special period in every woman's life. And, of course, during this period the expectant mother thinks about what foods you can eat, and from eating any better to refuse. It's not always exotic fruits and fancy desserts as delicious as they were, beneficial to the body of a pregnant woman. And many doctors do not advise to eat exotic fruits in large quantities. Doubt in women and causes this fruit, like a banana. Let's try to understand whether there is any benefit from eating bananas during pregnancy, and what possible bad can.
Can pregnant women bananas
Most gynecologists believe that to eat banana during pregnancy is very useful. This is especially true for women suffering from toxemia. It is this fruit can be their salvation. The pulp of banana contains almost all vitamins and minerals required by the woman during pregnancy. Also this fruit is rich in proteins and carbohydrates.
Need and, of course, you can eat bananas during pregnancy during severe toxemia. Thanks to the mild and unobtrusive smell, it is very well tolerated in the period when food intake for the mother becomes pure torture, and the sharp smells cause new bouts of nausea and vomiting.
It is also important that a banana falling on the mucous membrane of the stomach, helps to eliminate bouts of heartburn that are often found in pregnant women.
Caloric content of banana
Banana is a very nutritious fruit. Eating one banana during pregnancy, the woman provides your body with a daily norm of almost all vitamins and nutrients. And it helps the baby to fully develop inside the uterus. The caloric content of one banana is approximately 100 calories, this provides about 3 % of the daily requirement of a pregnant woman in energy.
How many bananas are allowed to eat during pregnancy?
To eat banana during pregnancy during early toxicity can be unlimited, if more woman are not able to eat anything. So she will be able to support forces of the body. In the second and third trimester the use of bananas is to be reduced to one fruit a day.
Bananas during pregnancy: the benefits
In addition to protein, the banana is rich in carbohydrates, iron, zinc, folic acid and b vitamins, and vitamin C.
Protein is the main construction material, ensuring proper development of the fetus in the womb. In order for the pregnancy proceeded safely, the future mom needs to consume approximately 15 grams of protein per day, and the pulp of one fruit provides the body of a pregnant woman about 1.5 g of protein.
Carbohydrates stimulate the production of serotonin, known as happiness hormone. Through what an expectant mother feels a surge of energy and mood elevation.
But that's not all, benefits of banana during pregnancy, the composition of the fruit includes a number of minerals and vitamins:
- Zinc – improves the condition of hair and nails of a pregnant woman provides healing of the skin cracks and small wounds.
- Folic acid – a deficiency of this substance in the body of the expectant mother, especially in the first weeks of pregnancy, can lead to violations during the formation of the neural tube in the embryo. The consequence of this can be a possible pathology of fetal development of the baby.
- Magnesium – prevents the possibility of getting cramps in the calf muscles of a pregnant woman, and stabilizes the nervous system and improves mood.
- Fibre banana is particularly rich in this substance. Eating bananas for constipation during pregnancy, the expectant mother will be able to forget about this issue for the entire period of carrying a baby.
- Calcium – deficiency of this substance in the pregnant woman's body leads to impaired formation of bone system of the fetus, and the destruction of tooth enamel of the expectant mother and possible night-time calf muscle cramps. Just eat one banana a day will help a woman to maintain the level of calcium in the body at the appropriate level. And if you combine fruit with cheese or milk, it is possible to obtain not only highly beneficial dessert, but incredibly delicious snack.
Contraindications to the use of bananas during pregnancy
Use banana undeniable. But there are cases where use may cause the pregnant woman's body irreparable harm.
It is not recommended to eat bananas, if the expectant mother:
- Diabetes mellitus – in this case, the amount of sugar and carbohydrates found in banana pulp, can cause women sharp increase in the level of glucose in the blood, which will only lead to a deterioration in her condition.
- Food Allergy. Despite the fact that bananas are not allergenic product, with burdened allergic anamnesis is to abandon the use of this fruit in period of waiting for a baby.
- Overweight pregnant women: remember that bananas are high-calorie product, and expectant mothers who have problems with excess weight, you should limit yourself in eating this fruit. Because every extra pounds gained in pregnancy, significantly increases the risk of fruit injury during labor, and possible perineal tears mothers.
To buy banana must also be approached with the utmost seriousness, you need to choose fruit is ripe. Unripe fruit can cause indigestion and abdominal pain during pregnancy.