Baku pigeons (slaughter pigeons): a description of the breed
Poultry breeders have known Baku pigeons since the 18th century. Registered and first described this breed was in Iran. Viability, achievements in sports, unique exterior - the obvious advantages of this breed of birds.
Pigeons of the Baku breed have many varieties, but all of them have common features that make it possible to identify birds belonging to this breed:
- The average size.
- Wide back.
- The oblong skull.
- Powerful wings.
- Extended torso, with developed muscles.
- Curved long neck.
The colors and other details of the exterior vary depending on the variety. The special popularity of the Baku pigeons was acquired in the north of Azerbaijan. This bird fell in love for its unpretentiousness, high flying qualities and beauty. The slaughter pigeons excelled at the Caspian coast. Even today, sport characteristics of a bird are primarily appreciated here.
The Baku people are one of the most picky poultry farmers who are well versed in the breeding of birds. Thanks to them the Baku pigeons became widespread in the Krasnodar Territory, in the Caucasus, in the middle zone of Russia, and in the future - all over the country.
Such a wide distribution of the bird could not have been obtained had it not been for its high adaptive properties. It is especially important that when moving even long-range flight performance, they do not lose. The birds of this breed are undemanding to the conditions of their maintenance, they quickly adapt to any food and are almost not susceptible to disease.
Baku pigeons have many varieties, which can differ only by, for example, longer feathers on their legs. Others can have a smooth skull, the third - thick chubchiki.
The most common species are as follows:
- Baku wide-tailed pigeons. Their main difference is the long duration of the flight. This is a strong and beautiful breed. They can have a variety of colors, but most often these birds are light, ashy or milky in color.
- Baku high flying pigeons. By their nature, these birds tend to fly as high as possible, why the species has received such a name.
- White Baku pigeons. It's not even a species, it's a whole group of representatives of the breed of different appearance, which unites the coloring. These birds can have tufts, can be with feathers on their feet, raised by the breast - in short, the main thing is that they are white.
It is important to note that the Caucasian poultry farmers paid little attention to the appearance of birds. For them, the main qualities are always the altitude of flight, flight and combat.
Changes in appearance
Since the first description of the breed Baku doves have undergone significant changes in appearance. If earlier they were mostly ordinary-looking birds, today they please with colors and plumage.
A huge contribution to the development of pigeon breeding was introduced by the Krasnodar region's poultry farmers. By 1990, they managed to get an amazing color. The result of many years of work - new amazing variations of colors and changes in the exteriors of pigeons. Breeded birds had an elongated head, a spindle-shaped body, a long beak, a raised chest and completely white eyelids. This made it possible to form from a low middle rack. It is very unfortunate, but Krasnodar lost a lot in the beauty of the battle, yielding to traditional Baku residents and flying qualities.
The fighting pigeons are distinguished by some peculiarities
- height of summer;
- good orientation;
- duration of summer;
- variety of plumage;
- virtuoso "game".
Baku pigeons win for each of these indicators.
If the bird has a forelock, its front side will be white, and behind it - colored feathers. In the tail there will also be colored feathers.
Features of the summer Baku pigeons - placer. Each individual flies completely independently, demonstrating an excellent game. They rise high above the ground, becoming barely perceptible marks in the sky. Often it is quite impossible to distinguish them at altitude. At the same time, even if they are far from home, they are perfectly oriented in space. Thoroughbred, well-trained "Bakinian" will find a house, even if it is taken away for hundreds of kilometers.
The slaughter pigeons are called not because they participate in battles, battles - sounds that the bird emits during flight, with wings of wings.
The battle is divided into several types:
- Exit to the post - noisy, sharp strokes carried out by the bird in flight. It soars up steeply, turning over the head at the highest point and descending. In this case, during a revolution, a sharp click is heard, issued by the wings. This sound effect is called combat. Most of the "Baku people" make the first exit to the post by doing a lot of somersaults and rises - up to 10 times, taking off at that higher than 15 meters. Sometimes a variety of this take-off is distinguished: a "pillar with a screw", accompanied by spiraling in different directions, with simultaneous coups. At the same time, coups must necessarily be followed by clicks
- Hangman fight - a game in which pigeons fly slowly, hovering in the way. After that they turn over, gradually flying up. Turns in this kind of combat are almost smooth, but clicks are mandatory.
There are two more types of combat, which are recognized by the Bakuis as a disadvantage. This is a "fight tape" and "clogging".
Variations of coloring in the Baku pigeons are mass: from snow-white to bronze. It is worth considering some of them.
- Agbash. This is a variety with white plumage of the head. There are birds with feathered or bare legs, with chic chubs or smooth-headed ones. In terms of their viability, these birds are not inferior to sports varieties. This breed has a wide distribution, because they can adapt to any climatic conditions.
- Chile. Motley birds are black or red. In this case, the mottled can be anywhere - on the head, cheeks, tail. These birds prefer an individual long and high flight, during which they go to the rack. After it, sudden somersaults and clicks occur. Birds do not require special conditions of detention. These individuals have a strong physique and medium size. The elongated, shaggy head crowns the body. The shadow is flat and rectangular, the forehead is rounded. The eyes are predominantly light, light yellowness is welcomed. Eyelids white, narrow. Beak is white, thin and straight, its tip slightly curved. Birds, whose head is dark, have a beak of the same color with a smooth, poorly developed wax.
- Marble. Outwardly, they look like chili, but their color is more mottled. In general, this is a very attractive bird. With each subsequent molt, the color becomes saturated, which makes it possible to determine the age: the more intense the color, the more mature the bird. There is a chubry and nonchuboid variant.
- Bronze. This is the most beautiful breed. Their feathers are mostly brass, with irregular black and red impregnations.
Recently, you can meet pigeons with spots on their necks. For this reason, this variety was called "neck".
Any bird can have both acceptable flaws, and those that are considered impermissible for this breed.
- a hump on the back;
- short torso;
- colored iris of the eyes;
- high forehead or nape;
- short neck;
- great wax;
- cut tail feathers, insufficient length, touching the ground with tail feathers;
- short wings;
- breast with strong bulge;
- short beak;
- stand "candle";
- looseness of the feather;
- fingers with feathers.