Thermotransfer labels: types, description, application
Thermotransfer labels are the best alternative to tags traditionally sewn on clothes as a means of marking products. Printing can occur both on the underside, and the front side of the fabric bases. This type of marking is extremely convenient because it shortens the time required for the work. Ready-made labels on clothes can be stored in stock and consumed as needed.
Moreover, the method of thermal transfer printing is applicable for the manufacture of all sorts of price tags, barcodes. To its application is often resorted to when applying information on the packaging.
Production of labels
The labels of this plan received their name, based on the thermal transfer method of printing, on which their application is based. The production of labels takes place using ribbon, which is a special type of ink ribbon. When exposed to high temperature, the dye is transformed onto the surface of roll materials, which can be covered with glossy or matte paper, nylon.
Principle of printing
The marking of the material using the thermal transfer printing method can be described as follows. Powdery, hard dye can be heat treated in a special printer. Then, under the influence of the print head, the image is transferred to the roll or directly to the fabric surface during dressing.
In the manufacture of price tags and bar codes, the underside of the thermal transfer ribbons is coated with a sticky compound. Thus, in the following, the label can be applied to any substrate, in particular a dusty and damp surface.
Currently, thermal transfer labels are widely used:
- trading networks for printing bar codes, self-adhesive price tags;
- organizations whose activities are aimed at the production of mass consumption products, packaging;
- transport and logistics companies;
- factories for the production of clothing, private sewing workshops.
Time of printing
The application of a thermotransfer label to clothing takes a few seconds. Any person who is previously unfamiliar with this method of printing can cope with such a task. Depending on the required circulations, the production of a lot of thermal transfer labels takes on average 1 to 3 days.
On the contrary, preparations for the release of large quantities of clothing on the market with the use of sewing labels can take weeks. In addition, this method is morally obsolete and extremely inconvenient.
When registering an order for the manufacture of thermal transfer labels, their parameters are important. Here it is recommended to focus on the model and characteristics of existing printers that will be used for the application of tapes.
The diameter of the rolls in which labels are distributed must necessarily be comparable with the parameters of the printing equipment sleeve. Zebra thermal transfer labels, which are suitable for desktop models of printers, differ in diameter of 0.5 inches. Industrial printers usually work with 1 inch tapes.
It should be understood that the width of the roll is slightly larger than the width of the label on its surface. Therefore, selecting an excessively wide tape will not allow the latter to enter the opening of the printer's print head.
Types of labels
There are such types of thermal transfer labels for printing:
- Vellum - are applied when it is necessary to apply to the surface of products, the maximum life cycle of which ranges from several months to a year. As an example, we can mention containers for storing cosmetics, household chemicals, printed products, packaging.
- Polypropylene - labels made on the basis of this material are designed for operation in premises where there are sharp changes in humidity and temperatures, there are other unfavorable conditions. Often used for marking goods with an indefinite shelf life.
Quality of application
In fact, thermal transfer labels are a special kind of stencils. Such printing methods are also called silkscreen printing. Images that go to the surface of the marked materials under the influence of high temperatures, do not fade, withstand the aggressive impact of the environment. All this also applies to the application of labels on fabric substrates. When dressing clothes using the thermal transfer method, there is no risk of harm to the health of the consumer, who will use the finished product.
Labels for thermal transfer printing have the following advantages:
- the widest range of standard sizes;
- the possibility of using in the organization of production of products in small or large quantities;
- creation of any kinds of labels of large and small sizes;
- high quality of applying fonts, images, bar codes, etc .;
- printing using a wide range of printers;
- the possibility of applying labels on the surface, both automatically and manually and semi-automatically.
How do thermal transfer labels differ from conventional thermal labels?
First of all, it is worth noting here the increased stability of thermal transfer means for transferring images on the surface to temperature differences and fading. For this reason, their use is resorted to when it is necessary to produce products that are planned to be sold over a long time period.
Based on the storage and operation conditions, the customers select different types of thermal transfer labels. Depending on this, their surface can be covered with resins, wax or a mixture of both.
Self-adhesive thermo-transfer labels are a fairly new type of product on the domestic market. For their manufacture, it is possible to use a wide variety of materials, which allows customers to find optimal solutions for subsequent operation under certain conditions.