How to make an injection to a child
Sometimes there are situations when a doctor prescribes an intramuscular injection of certain drugs for successful treatment of a child. You can contact your nurse or friends for help. However, it is better if you yourself learn these skills and know how to properly inject a baby. After all, it is not always possible to invite a doctor, but it is necessary to make an injection.
In order to deliver an injection to a child, the following items will be required:
- cotton wool or a small piece of bandage;
- a disposable syringe of the required capacity, by the way, special drugs for children are sold in pharmacies, which are distinguished by a thinner needle;
- injectable drug corresponding to the prescribed dosage. To avoid unpleasant situations, be sure to check the expiration date;
- medical alcohol, vodka or alcohol wipes for injection.
Preparation for intramuscular administration of drugs
In order to give an injection to a child, you need to follow some simple, but at the same time important rules:
- Wash hands with disinfectant or soap or rub them with alcohol.
- Injection should be done in the gluteus maximus muscle. To get to the right place, the buttock must be visually divided into four equal parts and put a shot in the upper outer corner.
- It is the most difficult to make injections for small children, so during the procedure you must be calm and confident.
- In that case, if the required drug is in a liquid state, it is necessary to make an incision in the file of the ampoule with a nail file, which is sold with the solution, and then open it. After that, unpack the syringe, connect with the needle and fill with the preparation.
- If the drug is dry, then it is diluted with a special solution recommended by the doctor.
- The syringe needs to be positioned with a needle upward and knock on it with your finger so that all the bubbles will rise to the very top. After that it is necessary to press on the syringe piston, having squeezed out all air outside. If done correctly, a drop should form at the needle tip, which should be removed with alcohol wadding.
Before you give an injection to the child, you should massage the buttock with gentle, slow movements, and the hands should be warm. The place where the needle will be injected, must be treated with cotton wool.
At this time with one hand you need to gather in the fold part of the buttocks, and the other - to hold the syringe. Introduce the needle with a sharp movement, while observing an angle of 90 °. At the same time, place the thumb on the piston, and hold the syringe with the middle and index finger. The slower you inject the medicine, the better. Haste in this matter should not be. When the medicine is finished, press the place of contact between the needle and the body with a cotton wool and with a sharp movement remove the syringe. After that you can massage the injection site a little.
It is difficult to put injections in the ass to children, as they fear them terribly. Therefore, it is not necessary before the child to draw medicine into the syringe or to splash its remnants - this will scare him even more. Also, do not submit the form that you yourself are nervous. If the child begins to break out and cry, do not scold him, on the contrary, try to somehow distract and calm. And do not deceive the baby, telling him that it will not hurt. It is better to praise him for being so brave and able to tolerate this procedure.