How to choose a harness for a dog, how to dress an accessory
A harness is a handy accessory for providing complete control over the animal during a walk. But if the device has never been worn on a dog, its use can cause discomfort and even frighten the pet. Let's find out what to orient ourselves in order to properly choose a harness for a dog, how to dress the specified product.
What is a harness?
To understand how to properly wear a harness on a dog, it is worth considering the design of such an accessory. The device looks like a thin strap that wraps around the animal's body in the chest and shoulder blades. The harness is fastened on the neck and on the stomach. The ring from which the leash departs is on the withers, which does not make the pet feel uncomfortable as a result of excessive pressure on the neck.
Types of loops
- Standard - are an ordinary walking variant. The ring for fixing the leash is placed between the shoulder blades of the animal. Devices with a minimum number of belts are used for walking small dogs. For large enough pets use standard harnesses with an abundance of thongs.
- Towing - the use of such ammunition is used primarily during the competition. Harnesses of this type can be seen in dog sleds. A decisive difference from the previous version is the presence of wide, stronger belts and fasteners.
- Harnesses with weighting - apply when it is necessary to train a pet, to strengthen an insufficiently developed muscle mass. Often such devices are used in the period of recovery of the pet from the received injuries, limb fractures.
How to train the animal to the harness?
Experts recommend starting from the first months to throw a harness on the dog. How to dress such a device, we will consider further. Puppies are more easily accustomed to the new attributes that appear in their lives. Therefore, in this case, the harness will not cause them unnecessary discomfort.
To accustom an adult animal to use an accessory, you need to be well-stocked with patience. To start, wear the product at home. Once the dog gets used to such a leash, the owner can move on to controlling the movement of the animal. After this, it takes some time to practice on the street, choosing for this place without people, other animals and urban transport.
How to dress a dog with a harness: step by step instruction
To quickly prepare an animal for a walk using a harness, it is worth using the following recommendations:
- How to dress a harness on a dog? The scheme assumes straightening of the leash in such a way that its soft part is located from the inside. If the animal resists, it is necessary to clamp its body between its legs.
- The top and bottom loops of the harness should be put on the dog's head. In this case, the supporting, vertical strap should be located in the chest area of the animal.
- On the side of the hinges, which are already worn, there are several straps, where it is necessary to pass the paws of the pet. The ends of the paw straps must be connected with a buckle.
- In the end, just fix the harness, make the necessary adjustments by pulling the fasteners and fasteners. Before you take your pet out for a walk, it's worth checking to see if the harness is removed through the head. It is also necessary to assess the reliability of fixing the elements where the paws of the animal are poured. If the harness falls, you should tighten the fasteners more tightly. In the end, the front strap should be located in the chest area of the pet, and the D-ring for the leash - between the shoulder blades.
How to make this accessory yourself?
If desired, you can try to make a harness with your own hands on the dog. How to dress your own made accessory will be much easier to understand. In the course of the work, such tools and materials will be required:
- nylon sling with a width of about 30 mm;
- material for the production of a flannel fabric or felt felt;
- steel rings;
- snap buckle-lock;
- strong threads;
- sewing machine.
For the manufacture of a harness, it is better to use solid steel rings. If these elements of the construction will contain slits, with strong jerks the latter can straighten. Pick up is worth the ring, in which you can freely stretch a few loops of lines.
How to make a harness for a dog, how to dress such an accessory? To begin with it is necessary to make measurements of parameters of an animal's body. Measure should be the girth of the chest behind and in front of the limbs of the pet. Next, determine the distance between the shoulders of the dog.
Work begins with the lining of the lining. The material, folded in half, is superimposed on the slings that will pass in the area of the animal's chest. Kapron slings are sewn together with the lining. With the help of scissors, all unnecessary parts are carefully removed, the edges are machined by the machine line.
The lock buckle is attached to the lines in the chest area of the animal. An additional length of material is provided for the adjustment. The ring for the leash is sewn on the top of the product. It is desirable that the latter ultimately be located exactly between the pet's shoulder blades.
During the assembly of the device it is recommended to periodically put it on the animal, performing the necessary adjustments. This will ensure not only a comfortable fit of the product on the dog, but also make sure that the four-legged friend does not break out during the walk.
So we looked at how to put on a harness. The dog's instruction is to hold tightly during this procedure. A suitably sized product will not only provide complete control over the animal during the walk, but also make it wearing the accessory least discomfortable. Proper use of the harness does not make one worry about the safety of a quadruped friend and allows the animal to know the world around.