How and when to wean a child from a pacifier, at what age
A kid is not only a joy for the parents, but also a lot of hassle, taking up all the free time. Feeding, entertaining, telling a fairy tale before going to bed - all these are the standard duties of each parent, but when we wean a child from a dummy - the question is not so simple. After all, for him this thing is the most interesting and soothing. Thanks to the baby's dummy, parents can rest for at least 5 minutes, then to meet the needs of their child with new strength.
Why the child gets used to the nipple
The newborn has several refrexes, the main one of which is sucking. In fact, it is because of him that the baby can develop normally in the future.
Some babies calm down when they are applied to the chest, so they quite easily manage without a pacifier. But there are also such kids who do not know how to control a reflex and pull anything into their mouth if there is no nipple. With such troublesome kids, parents have much more trouble, because the chances of bringing the infection into a small organism are quite large.
Often there are situations when it is necessary to wean the child from a dummy, but the child does not agree to it at all. Doctors have presented three main problems in which it is very difficult to part with your beloved nipple:
- Unfed children. This category includes babies who have not had enough breastfeeding since birth or were absent at all. Because of this, the sucking reflex can not be naturally matched, and the craving for the "sucking subject" becomes more and more.
- "Flukes". Recently, only 3-4% of such personalities have been found. In fact, such children are special, because they learn the world through taste sensations. They like to take toys, paper and any other objects into their mouths - this is their natural need, which must be satisfied.
- Survived injury. If the baby has experienced a long-term illness, then he can pretty much stick to the nipple, because it calmed him in the most difficult times. Therefore, even after recovery, the dummy remains for the child the best and most faithful friend.
In general, the baby gets used to the pacifier for various reasons, but how much to wean the child from a dummy is every parent should understand by himself.
Is the dummy harmful?
As already mentioned, not all parents can easily disaccustom a child from a nipple. Therefore, the question arises: "Is it necessary to wean the child from a dummy in general and does it harm?". Overly caring mothers are afraid that in the future the child will have problems with speech and he will not be able to correctly pronounce all the letters of the alphabet. In addition, there is also another precaution, which is the growth of ugly and crooked teeth, which, according to the parents, will contribute to the constantly existing in the mouth of the nipple.
In fact, doctors do not confirm these theories, although there is another precaution - children who are accustomed to a dummy are not at all interested in the outside world, so they can grow self-contained and less sociable than other children.
The theory of curves and ugly teeth, of course, is not true, but the bite can deteriorate quickly. Therefore, doctors recommend wean the child not only from the pacifier, but also from the fingers that children often suck, replacing the selected nipple.
What is forbidden to do in the process of weaning
Not only young, but also experienced moms can make a lot of mistakes during the weaning. Therefore, before you understand the age at which a child should be weaned from a dummy, you should find out what you should not do:
- spoil the nipple (parents often try to cut a pacifier, bend it, hold it on fire, etc. All this is done in order to make the child uncomfortable sucking her and he has disaccustomed to it himself. But few people think that the child can accidentally bite off a piece of spoiled soothing object, which is quite easy to do and swallow it);
- lubricate the pacifier with food additives (the worst method of weaning is lubricating the nipple with mustard, pepper or salt). Here, from the love of his own child, even speech can not go. After all, not every adult person can tolerate such supplements. Moreover, a small organism is not adapted to such tastes. As a result, the child is waiting for a violation of the function of the taste buds, throat spasm and edema. A lubrication of sweet additions will spoil your teeth and only cause an even greater craving for a dummy);
- shouting at the baby (if the child can not calm down and demands his pacifier, then do not raise his voice to him.) After all, the child feels the anger of his parents and begins to be capricious even more);
- to wean during the period of illness (when the baby suffers a disease or when the teeth begin to be cut, the dummy is a universal way of helping.In such periods it is strictly forbidden to limit the child in a dummy, because this can lead to irreversible consequences).
If there is a "relapse"
Dismissing from a dummy is a rather complicated process, so you need to know all the nuances in order not to harm the baby. Many parents have already decided for themselves when it is necessary to wean the child from a dummy, but not all of them considered possible complications, often appearing after a successful weaning.
The most common cases are that the child behaves calmly in the next couple of days, and then again begins to demand his friend. At the same time, the psychological condition worsens, and the perseverance of the child becomes stronger. If he does not cease to get irritated without a pacifier for 10 days, then it is necessary to purchase a new one and after a while again to repeat the ablation.
When you need an emergency dummy
Despite the fact that parents with the help of doctors have determined the exact time when to wean the child from a dummy, there may be emergency cases.In these situations, one does not have to wait for the "right day", it is necessary to act quickly and effectively. For example, an adult who is already sufficiently grown does not want to empty a pacifier out of his mouth and is very irritated when it is lost, then it is necessary to act immediately:
- Explain the situation. Without swearing and laughter, it is necessary to tell the child in a calm tone that the nipple is hurting his teeth, does not allow him to speak normally, and so on.
- Accidentally forget the "soothing" at home and the whole family go, for example, to visit relatives or friends. In this case, the child will have to accept the loss, because he will not have the opportunity to go home and take her with him.
- Cut a small part of the nipple (but so that the baby can not bite off a piece and swallow), and then in a comic form to explain who and how to spoil it.
The best time for weaning
The most suitable time when weaning a child from a dummy, parents often decide on their own or consult with a doctor. If there are no euternic situations, then the process can begin at any time, but it should be done smoothly, without harming the still unformed nervous system.
Retirement before the age of 2
The period when it is better to wean a child from a dummy begins with 2 months. From this moment and up to six months, the first signs of complete readiness for failure are formed. The best option is to get rid of the nipple for up to 6 months, which will ensure the absence of a lot of unnecessary problems. Adhering to a few prudent rules, you will see that the abstinence will pass quickly and successfully:
- If a sedative is required only when it is in sight of the child, then the process of weaning can begin immediately.
- You can replace the pacifier with motion sicknesses, songs, fairy tales or any other actions that will soothe just as the nipple did before.
During the period from 6 months to one year, the energy overflows, so when depriving the nipple, all actions will be directed to its return.To avoid trouble and worsen the situation, you should follow the following rules:
- During this period, drinking from a special children's cup will help to forget the skills of sucking, and you can start to feed not from a bottle, but give food on plates.
- It is allowed to give the pacifier only at the request of the child himself, it is not worth showing it just like that.
- Frequent games and walks will occupy the baby and he will forget about the need for a dummy in his mouth. Interesting and developing toys can even contribute to the fact that the dummy will be transferred from children's hands to adults without any resistance.
If the kid has already celebrated his first full birthday and he turned a year old, then you should not be upset. This period is also favorable for weaning, but we will have to exert more forces.
Parents should understand that it was they who showed their child a pacifier, and after all, the kid trusts these people most and during the period of weaning he can not understand why his best friend suddenly began spending less time with him and why he became so harmful.
In the period from one to two years, the children are good enough, so you can start the abortion by offering to share a pacifier with a passing dog or give it to another child.
After 2 years
Sometimes it happens that it became impossible to wean from the nipple. It is not always easy to chuck off a baby from a pacifier at the age of two. The easiest way - this is a normal conversation, in which you need to mention the need to leave a pacifier in the game form. If this option does not bring success, you can regularly reduce the time of finding the nipple in your mouth. This will take more time, but the result will be successful.
How and at what age to wean the child from a dummy - has already been said above. But these methods may not be enough, if the whole family does not participate in the process. Each member of the family puts in the development of the child something of his own that will help him develop further. Therefore, the weaning from the dummy should take place with the participation of the whole family, with the observance of all rules.
Recommendations and advice of professional psychologists will help in those moments when weaning the child from a dummy will be necessary. For example, requiring a pacifier while in active state, the child says that the cortex of his brain is tense and urgently needs relaxation. Therefore, the dummy will prevent information from being memorized. In such situations, you need to distract him as quickly as possible from the soothing object and begin to explore the world with the baby.
Recommendations of experienced moms
Not all parents know how much to wean a child from a dummy, so they are interested in other mothers who have already passed this difficult period. Some could not even accustom to the nipple, so these children could themselves control and abandon it. Others advise us to begin the process of weaning from 5 months, because at this age the sucking reflex itself begins to fade. The main thing here is not to miss the moment. Also, parents note that it is necessary to distinguish crying and screaming of the baby when he needs a sedative or just something that hurts. After all, often a dummy distracts a child from pain, but then there are health problems, getting rid of which is very difficult.
In order for the baby to grow up healthy and less capricious, it is necessary to spend more time with it. Then his development will aspire upwards, together with his parents he will make discoveries and grow up to be a full and interesting person.