Yo-Yo-toy with their own hands
Handmade toys have recently enjoyed extraordinary demand, because they have a lot of advantages: cheapness, environmental friendliness, non-toxicity. But the most important thing is that the process of creating a toy with its own hands brings real pleasure and gives exclusively positive emotions.
History of occurrence
Yo-yo - a toy that has ancient Chinese roots. Some sources even report that yo-yo has been practiced by the Chinese since 1000 BC. e. The very first predecessors of modern toys, which history has preserved, is yo-yo from clay, which dates back to 500 BC. e. In the 16th century, these toys were made of stone, which was tied to a rope about 6 meters in length. The rope was held in his hand, and thrown into the animals with a stone. If the attempt was unsuccessful, the stone returned back to the hand.
Yo-yo is two identical coils symmetrically arranged relative to each other, connected by an axis, on which a rope is fixed and wound. The assortment of modern toys is wide, the disks can be made of a wide variety of materials, the bearing is the connecting element.
The principle of operation is a pendulum.
The principle of operation is the mechanical inertia of the rotation of the disks.
Yo-yo: toy and its classification
There are several classifications of yo-yo. Let's consider the main ones.
1. Depending on the material of the case, yo-yo are:
- Plastic. The main material used in the manufacture is plastic. The consumer audience is children and novice users. Feature: bright exterior design, minimum weight, low price.
- Composite. The main material used in the manufacture is plastic, there are separate metal parts (usually a rim). The consumer audience is advanced users and professionals. Feature: ideal for performing tricks of increased complexity and long tricks, have excellent inertia.
- Metal. The main material used in the manufacture is aluminum. The consumer audience is professionals. Feature: maximum weight distribution, ideal for "freestyle", the price is high.
2. Depending on the form:
- Butterfly yo-yo: a toy in the profile is associated with a butterfly. Characteristic is a smooth rounding to the center and a wide space between the two halves (gap).
- Imperial. It is considered a classical form of yo-yo: two convex halves with a narrow gap. Suitable for games characterized by cyclic flights, in particular for Luping.
3. Depending on the design features:
- Demountable. The toy can be disassembled - two halves are removed. It is more widely used than non-folding yo-yo.
- non-assembled yo-yo: the toy is a single whole, and it can not be disassembled.
Among the main characteristics of yo-yo are the following:
1. Gap. The term "gap" has English roots and in translation means "gap". Gap is called the distance between the two halves of the toy. On the value of this indicator (distance) depends on the time spent yo-yo in the slip-mode - the more gaps, the longer the executable trick can last.
2. Bearing type used. The size and shape of the bearings depends on the gap, and consequently, the duration of the slip. There are several types of bearings:
A - provides a minimum gap. The outer diameter is 10 mm, the inner diameter is 5 mm, the width is 4 mm. Typically, it is used in the most primitive yo-yo models, suitable for the average user.
C is the most commonly used bearing size. The external diameter is 12.5 mm, the inner diameter is 6.3 mm, the width is 4.7 mm. Suitable for both the game "Luping", and for more complex and lengthy tricks.
D - provides the greatest distance between the halves of the toy. The outer diameter is 11 mm, the inner diameter is 5 mm, the width is 5 mm. Used in the circle of professionals for the passage of all sorts of competitions and the implementation of complicated and protracted tricks.
The shape of the bearings can also be of several types:
- Standard - standard bearings with flat outer surface.
- ConCave- for such bearings is characterized by the presence of a groove on the outer edge. The groove helps to concentrate the rope in the center of the toy. A variety of yo-yo - a devil on a string - is easy to manage, which makes it possible to use toys by novice users. Analogues are grooved, Center Trac.
- Slim - similar to the type of the form "Standard", but inferior to them in thickness.
3. Type of brake system. The braking system is the most important element of the toy. There are 4 possible types of it: Starbucks (with denticles) - such a system is equipped with a toy yo-yo, the price of which is at a minimum level; rubber labels - more practical than the previous type; Rubber (or silicone) rings - is in high demand because it guarantees soft braking; liquid silicone - is not practical in use, since silicone has the property of rapidly erasing.
4. Availability of additional improvements. These include the grooves, hubstacks (holders), Z-stacks, sidepinners, etc. The presence of this or that add-on is necessary to perform a specific trick.
How to do yo-yo yourself
Consider the simplest example of how to do yo-yo at home.
- tin can - 2 pcs .;
- glue "Liquid nails";
How do yo-yo (toy) do it yourself? The instruction gives step-by-step explanations:
1. Trim the top of both cans. The width should be 1 cm. It is recommended to use unopened cans, the liquid of which must first be drained from the cut (puncture) made from the side. Thus, the detail, cut from the top, will not have a trace from the opening of the vessel, and hence the probability of leakage of the glue is completely excluded.
2. Take the knife and cut it about 3 cm from the pencil. This segment will serve as a bearing. Check the correctness of the work done can be as follows: we take two tin halves of the toy, connect them on the inside with a pencil and measure the gap formed. If the gap is not more than 1 cm, you have done everything correctly.
3. Fix the pencil with tin hemispheres. Insert a pencil in the center of the cut part of the jar and lubricate it with glue. This should be done alternately with each part (half) of the toy.
4. Bend the sharp edges of the cans and process them with a file. This must be done so that the rope is not damaged during operation.
5. Tie the rope. The length of the rope should be about 1 m. We fasten it as follows: at one end we tie a finger loop, and on the second we tie to a pencil-bearing.
That's all! The toy is ready! Now it will be something to do in your spare time.
Tips and Tricks
How much does a toy yoyo cost? The price for the cheapest models of Chinese production - from 35 to 199 rubles. The higher price category is from 216 to 1,000 rubles. Maybe you really should try to make a toy yourself?
Yo-yo (toy) with their own hands can be made and using already opened tin cans. The main requirement is to close the holes qualitatively, by bending them back.
When gluing a pencil and parts of glue cans, do not regret! Remember that to get a quality and easily rotated yo-yo you need to make it hard. This can be achieved thanks to glue, which is poured into the interior of the homemade tin half of the toy.
When choosing a rope, it is recommended to give preference to elastic ropes made of silk or kapron.
Toy yo-yo: how to play
The most common question among beginners: "How to play yo-yo?" In nature, there are several styles of the game.
Luping - a toy powered by hand movements - describes the elliptical flight trajectory and does not return to the hand for a long time. When performing tricks, various manipulations with the rope (wrapping around the fingers, sharp tension, gripping, twisting, etc.) are possible.
String - all the tricks performed with the toy, result in the return of yo-yo into the player's hand, on which the rope is fastened. To play the string is used yo-yo butterfly.
Frigand - in some ways is analogous to string games, but the rope to the player's hand is not attached. The hand is replaced by a counterweight, which is a small figure that is attached to the hand. That is, the toy and the player's hand are joined by a counterweight.
Offstring - games with yo-yo without rope.