Greenland dog - description of the breed
The development of the North and South Poles can not be imagined without the help of sled dogs. The Greenland dog helped the Norwegian traveler to come to the south pole first. Born in a harsh climate, this breed of dog for many hundreds of years has been a faithful assistant of man.
History of the breed
For the first time the Greenland dog came to Europe in 1936, after the end of the polar expedition they were brought by Paul Emil Victor. Nevertheless, this is one of the oldest breeds of dogs on Earth. Her homeland is Denmark.
The first and only breeders of the breed were the Eskimos. Carrying out artificial selection among the livestock, they left the tribe of the strongest and hardiest representatives. They are referred to the Spitz, in their veins, undoubtedly, the blood of the northern wolf flows. Severe conditions of the North hardened and determined the direction of development of this breed, creating an ideal sled dog.
The main task of animals is the transport of goods. There was no other so universal transport in the Far North (deer could not be used everywhere). The Greenland dog (the photo of which is presented in this article) can be a good watchman and, if necessary, stand up for oneself. Previously used to hunt for seals, bears or reindeer, but still it is, above all, sled dogs.
The Greenland dog is a large beautiful animal, a powerful physique. She has a well developed musculature of the body, strong bones, dark small eyes look unexpectedly affable on the stern wolf's muzzle.
Dogs have a thick straight smooth coat with a very thick undercoat. Color is allowed except for albino. The tail lies on the back. Pointed erect ears are triangular in shape. Large and strong paws. The structure of the body with a powerful chest is ideal for working in harness.
The standard for the breed was approved only in 1997. Working trials for a breed such as the Greenland dog are not carried out. All animals have excellent working qualities.
According to accepted standards, dogs must comply with the following description:
- Housing. Strong, compact, in format a rectangle on the long side. Broad, deep well expressed thorax. The straight back passes into a wide loin. Croup slightly deflated.
- Head. It has a wedge-shaped shape - broad (between the ears is the widest) at the base and narrows to the nose. Nose straight with large lobe. Color can be in red dogs - hepatic color or dark. In the winter, it has the property of discoloration, a phenomenon called "snow nose". Expressed the transition from the muzzle to the skull. Cranial part of head somewhat convex. Strong jaws with strong teeth, with a scissor bite. Animals have tightly fitting, thin lips. The color of the eyes is dark or in tone of suit, a little obliquely set. Small triangular erect ears with rounded tips. Muscular short neck.
- Legs. It has strong, straight, muscular front and rear (with a moderate angle) limbs. Muscles are well expressed on the hips. Shoulders slightly inclined, elbows tightly pressed to the body. Flexible and strong wrists, the pastern has a slight slope. Paws rounded, large, with strong pads.
- The tail is high set, thrown back, fluffy, thick and short.
- The coat is thick, dense, long, stiff with a well developed undercoat.
- Color is allowed except for albino.
- Growth. Relate to a group of large dogs - the growth of females not less than 50 cm, males not less than 60 cm.
- Weight on the average 30 kg.
Dogs have a wonderful run - harmonious, relentless and fast, for which, in fact, and appreciated.
The drawbacks include any deviations from the standards. Not allowed for breeding breeding aggressive or too timid dogs, albinos and animals that have either a different eye color or blue.
The Greenlandish dog character is mild, lively and sociable. Animals are smart, do not show aggression towards people, even strangers. Hardy and energetic, able to withstand the severe frosts.
Animals do not show obvious attachment to the owner, demonstrating their love for him by conscientious work. Clever by nature, independent in nature, a workaholic as a matter of fact - all these are features of the Greenland dog breed. Puppies require attentive attitude, patience and consistency in training.
Freedom-loving nature is not so easy to combine with unquestioning obedience to the master. Education gives in to animals is difficult. For dogs of this breed, it is important to live in a pack, and the owner must constantly prove that he is the "leader". Once losing the "respect" of pets, it will be very difficult to restore dominance over them.
Features of the content
Dogs are incredibly strong health. Absolutely unpretentious to the conditions of detention, calmly tolerate the cold, bad heat. The temperature of +15 degrees already gives the animals discomfort. Animals require active physical activity, otherwise the psyche may suffer. Long runs for the owner's bicycle are a great alternative to driving.
A Greenland sled dog needs care of the coat. Dense and dense undercoat should be periodically combed to avoid the formation of coils. With the appropriate care and maintenance in can live to 15 years, the average duration is 9-10 years.
The breed was not widely spread. It is appreciated by fans of dog races and residents of the North for their unique endurance, ability to navigate the terrain and skills of a sled dog.
The breed is not very popular in Europe, including the Scandinavian countries. This is clearly not a "sofa" option. A lot of freedom and movement, life in a pack and work in a harness, with a good load - such conditions of content quite suit the representatives of this breed. Breed the breed in Canada and Greenland.