St. Nicholas Day: a holiday scenario for children
If you look at the calendar, though ecclesiastical, even secular, then the obvious thing strikes us - there are many holidays in our life. There are small, purely professional celebrations, for example, the day of a geologist or cosmonautics, but there are global world celebrations. These include Christmas, New Year, Easter and, of course, the day of Nicholas the Wonderworker.
Did Saint Nicholas exist?
Unlike the beloved, but invented by Grandfather Frost, St. Nicholas really lived in the city of Patara, located in Asia Minor. It was in the distant 3 century. The boy was long-awaited, parents considered the child a divine gift, so they gave him everything possible: wealth, warmth and love. When he grew up, he decided to devote his life to God and people. Saint Nicholas became a priest, and later - Bishop of Myra. The peculiarity of this holy man was that he tried to do good anonymously, trying not to betray himself.He is credited with many miracles and good deeds: the revival of the sailor who crashed in the storm, the unprecedented recompense of almsgiving, the help of orphans and the needy. For merciful activities, which all the same became known to people, he was called the Savior, or Wonderworker, and the date of birth began to be celebrated every year. A man who helped people all his life, was ranked as a saint. Today he is considered the patron of travelers, sailors, needy and afflicted. In addition, he became an eternal example of altruism and true kindness.
They say that a long time ago in a single family there were three daughters, homeless women, whom the father could not marry in any way. It came to that the parent was going to force his children to earn money in an unworthy way. Nicholas the Wonderworker, learning about this, began to throw gold for the unfortunate sisters of gold in the chimney. And near the fireplace the girls just hung out to dry their stockings, in which gifts fell. Thus, Saint Nicholas saved the girls from dishonor and made their destinies happier. Later he began to give gifts to all those in need: medicines for the poor, warm clothing for orphans, toys for children from unsecured families. Since then, people are sure that in case of extreme need, Nikolai Sadnik will certainly help.
Traditions of Nikolin of the Day
A tradition was established to celebrate St. Nicholas Day on December 19. It is with this celebration in the post-Soviet space that the New Year's Eve begins. Unfortunately, there were times when people tried to take away faith in God, miracles, a fairy tale: forbade religious holidays, ruined churches. Because of this celebration of St. Nicholas for a while were undeservedly forgotten, but now the traditions are revived.Today, people gather in their homes for lean, but rich tables, both friends and foes (there is a belief that the feast will reconcile the warring), and children find under the pillows of sweetness, funny "nikolajchikov" and other gifts.
In children's institutions, traditionally, the day of St. Nicholas is honored. The script is usually made in advance, and a holiday, very much expected by children, takes place in a fabulous atmosphere.
It is noteworthy that the beginning of the celebrations was laid in Cologne. In ancient Germany on December 6 (according to the Gregorian calendar), children were given sweets in honor of St. Nicholas Day. Then the tradition spread to homes: according to the legend of the sisters, the children began to hang socks on the fireplace or put their boots on the threshold waiting for gifts from a good saint. And disobedient children found rods in the morning instead of sweets.
In Holland it is believed that the Wonderworker sails on the ship, so people put polished shoes on the threshold from the evening. On the day of St. Nicholas the script of the holiday is prepared in advance in Italy, France, Germany: there are theatrical processions, mummers sing traditional songs, and have fun with the soul. The Austrians and Poles believe that on the eve of the holiday the devilry is naughty, which the saint will successfully drive away, not forgetting to throw gifts into boots.
Feast for the youngest
Children of any age are waiting for holidays and gifts. Naturally, adults should support this blind and naive belief in a miracle. Such holidays, like beads, will be strung on a thread of childhood memories, without which life is boring. The scenario for Saint Nicholas Day for young children should be made according to the following principle: the simpler, the better. There is no sense in going into the widespread theological discussions about the meaning of the holiday from the point of view of the orthodox church or trying to cover the topic from the standpoint of philosophy. For a small group of kids, which can be collected both at home and in a children's cafe, on the day of St. Nicholas, the script of the holiday can be held according to this scheme.
- Children will be interested to hear the exaggerated story of the boy Nikolai, who knew nothing of failure. One day he noticed that his friends want to eat deliciously and play with beautiful toys, but they do not have the opportunity. Then the boy decided to give his children toys, clothes, sweets, which he had a lot. But he gave gifts secretly and only to obedient children. So, people still found out who this unknown donor is, and called him a saint.
- Next to the children comes a doll-boy, who asks "tricky questions" of the type: "Do you obey your parents?" Or "Do you eat porridge?".
- All children are declared very obedient, kind and good, so Nicholas opens his voluminous bag and generously gives them gifts.
- After such a positive follow funny games.
This express version can be safely used on the day of St. Nicholas. The script of the holiday for children of younger preschool age, similar to the above, is easy to implement in any convenient place.
For older children, an interesting, more fabulous version will be of interest. Scenario of the fairy tale to the day of St. Nicholas can be realized in a comic bed. After all, the information will still be reported, but it will not be boring for sure.
- Initially, you need a problem situation: for example, a bad character bewitched the beloved donkey Nicholas, and the children must spell it.
- For this they perform serious and ridiculous tasks: guess riddles in rhyme, find differences between pictures, jump, imitating animals.
- After the donkey recollects everything, Saint Nicholas turns an evil hero into a good one and generates presents under general enthusiasm.
School morning performance
For younger students it is also worthwhile to prepare a matinee for St. Nicholas Day. The script of the action can be expanded, adding to it the intrigue in the form of an evil character, such a "wrecker." The story about the history of the holiday and traditions should also be slightly complicated, according to age.
- On the day of St. Nicholas the script must contain a short story about the holiday, but you should not drag out this part of the celebration. It is better, if it will make a fairy or mythical character, for example, an angel.
- Before the main character of the holiday enters, a negative hero enters into the hall (house, devil, blizzard, fool) and begins to "troll" the little one: asks stupid questions, provokes (reads puzzles with ridiculous, wrong guesses).
- You can use a great idea. Having found out by common efforts that Nikolai will come only to obedient children, the participants of the holiday pull out black men (flaws) from under the chairs prepared in advance by the teacher, and solemnly throw them out.
- When, finally, St. Nicholas enters, then comes the time of fun games, fun and poetry. Games can be different. For example, a comic play "Dress a friend" is perfect. Its rules boil down to the fact that one participant wears mittens, and the other - a robe. And the buttons on the friend's dressing gown should be fastened as quickly as possible. Or the contest "Whose teeth are stronger": the boiled egg should be carried in a spoon, clamped in the teeth, and try not to drop it. Also interesting is the game "Laughter": it is necessary to fill the bag with laughter, extracted by tickling.
Poems for Nicholas the Wonderworker
On the day of St. Nicholas the script is unthinkable without an abundance of poems. To replenish their quantity with fresh texts, we propose, for example, the following:
Whose footsteps creak at the door?
And with a huge sack,
Nikolai hurries to your house!
He drags gifts to children,
Bring them all to the world,
Look at the slipper:
What did the old man bring you?
In addition to sweets and dolls,