What helps with heartburn during pregnancy? Medicines, traditional medicine
It is difficult to imagine a happier and more responsible time for a woman than the nine months she carries under the heart of her child. Each trimester of pregnancy has its own characteristics, both pleasant and not so. Here, for example, is heartburn, which affects most women in the second half of pregnancy. Why does it arise? What to take from heartburn? Will the medicine not harm the baby? About everything in order in this article.
Side effects of an interesting situation
Throughout pregnancy, the body of a woman undergoes numerous changes. Even before the test shows the long-awaited two strips, the expectant mother may feel malaise, drowsiness, nausea. In the body there is a colossal hormonal restructuring, a small man is formed all the organs and systems, so such symptoms are not surprising. Toxicosis at an early age overshadows the lives of many women, some even persist for the duration of the entire pregnancy.
The second trimester is the quietest time. The baby is growing up, my mother is not so sick, the hormones are not so raging in the blood - it seems that life is getting better. But already at the end of this period and the beginning of the third trimester, many women face new troubles: vascular asterisks appear on their feet, veins start to swell. So the varicose develops, therefore at the first signs it is necessary to run to the doctor. The same thing to do in case if you found blood during defecation, it creeps up another "sworn friend" of pregnant women - hemorrhoids.
Heartburn in the form of an unpleasant sensation of burning sensation in the chest and throat during this period begin to experience about 80% of women. Heartburn in the early stages is also not uncommon, but it has other causes.
Mechanism of heartburn
In the third trimester, the baby in the womb of the mother is getting bigger every day, and there are fewer and fewer places for it. On all internal organs of the mother begins to be strong pressure, including on the stomach.
Between the esophagus and stomach is a special valve, it is called the sphincter. Thanks to him, the food passes into the stomach and stays there. Under pressure, the sphincter ceases to cope with its function, and gastric juice is thrown back into the esophagus. The burning sensation persists for a period of a couple of minutes to several hours.
Other causes of heartburn
The decrease in the function of the sphincter can be affected by the hormone progesterone, which is intensively produced in the body of a pregnant woman, to relax the uterus and prevent her hypertonia. Together with the smooth muscles of the uterus, other muscles, including the sphincter, also relax.
On the other hand, the change in the hormonal background also affects the digestion of food itself, which moves much slower along the esophagus. As a result, digestion is delayed, which causes stomach upset and heartburn.
Hormonal changes can affect the acidity of the gastric juice. The higher it is, the stronger the burning sensation.
The occurrence of heartburn in the early stages
What causes heartburn in pregnant women in the early stages? The main reason is the wrong diet. The use of unhealthy food by a woman, namely, very salty, fatty or roasted, as well as constant snacks into dry foods can cause heartburn even in an absolutely healthy person. The risk is also those who like to eat up before going to bed, do not thoroughly chew food, abuse carbonated drinks and coffee.
Heartburn, although it causes some discomfort, does not carry any danger to the health of mom and baby. It arises from the natural, listed above reasons. But if heartburn tormented you and before pregnancy, this is a clear sign of disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. Pregnancy will only enhance your problem. Be sure to consult with a specialist.
Products that provoke heartburn
What helps with heartburn during pregnancy? To begin with, the refusal of unhealthy food. To reduce the appearance of heartburn, it is better to avoid the use of certain products that can provoke it:
- alcohol - it is completely contraindicated in pregnant women. We also disappoint those who believe that a glass of wine to the child will not hurt. Maybe so, but the heartburn will definitely cause, especially red;
- fatty food slows the digestion of food, especially smoked meat;
- spicy food - seasonings stimulate increased production of gastric juice;
- coffee, strong tea helps to relax the sphincter;
- citrus - oranges, lemons - and other acidic fruits increase acidity;
- sugar and chocolate;
- fresh bread;
- some vegetables, such as onions, garlic, tomatoes.
Nutrition of the future mother
With a list of prohibited products have already been determined, now we turn to the diet. Diet for heartburn in pregnant women means eating the following foods:
- low-fat fish;
- dietary meat - rabbit, chicken, turkey;
- vegetables, especially those that facilitate easy emptying of the intestine;
- bread - dried or in the form of crackers;
- warm milk in small amounts is, by the way, a good home remedy for heartburn.
Products should be boiled, steamed, baked in foil. Frying in a frying pan and even on a grill, and even more so in deep-fried, has nothing to do with a healthy diet.
Prepare soups, but in no case do not cook broths on bones, they stimulate the production of gastric juice and adversely affect the liver and pancreas.
What helps with heartburn during pregnancy? Simple recommendations
Before deciding what to take from heartburn, pay attention to some tips:
- Do not eat at night, it is recommended to eat at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Eat often, but in small portions.
- It is good to chew food so that it is digested more quickly, and try not to drink during meals, so as not to increase the production of acid.
- After eating, do not immediately take a horizontal position. Sit with a straight back, this will increase the chances that the acid from the stomach will not make itself felt.
- Avoid conflict situations, quarrels. Moreover, stress affects the mother's body negatively, even on the stomach, so it is still able to significantly harm the baby, so "calmness, only calmness."
How to deal with heartburn without drugs?
People say that if a mother has heartburn, then the baby will be born with hairs. In practice, this assumption is not always confirmed, but the folk remedies for heartburn are very effective. Let's analyze them further:
- To remove symptoms of heartburn and eliminate eructations use potato juice. You need to drink it before breakfast and in the evening, before going to sleep.
- A more pleasant taste is another home remedy for heartburn - a kalinovye jam, which should be diluted with boiled water.
- Fight with the disease will help crushed nuts, the best are walnuts and almonds. Kernels must be crushed into powder and take 1 tablespoon per day.
- At the first sign of heartburn, chew raw potatoes or carrots - these are very effective folk remedies for heartburn.
- The celery root is especially effective, and it can be chewed, made from it a drink, used as a puree.
- To eliminate heartburn, you can turn to a very allergenic product - honey. It is important to know the measure and not to abuse, so as not to harm yourself and the child. If you slowly chew honey combs, the wax from them protects the esophagus walls from acid and, importantly, neutralizes the pain.
- Help her cope with this problem herbal preparations, in particular wormwood and chamomile, but their use, as well as treatment of heartburn in pregnant women by any other methods, it is better to discuss with a doctor.
What if the folk remedy does not help?
What helps with heartburn during pregnancy is better than folk remedies? The answer is obvious: medicine. Do not be afraid of everything related to the pharmaceutical industry. There are drugs that can be taken with pregnant women, so do not tolerate it. Be sure to consult with your doctor and carefully read the leaflets.
Medications for heartburn affect differently. Some drugs are taken before meals, they envelop the walls of the esophagus, so that the gastric juice does not affect them. For these purposes, pregnant women often use Smecta, which is absolutely harmless, as it is not absorbed in the stomach.
The second group of drugs - antacid, designed to neutralize the acid in the stomach. They are taken with the appearance of heartburn, they are most often produced in the form of tablets, gels, suspensions. The most safe preparation of this group for pregnant women is Rennie. This includes "Maalox", "Almagel", "Talcid". But in any case, it is necessary to use medicines as rarely as possible and not earlier than the second month of pregnancy.
There is a group of drugs that can reduce the amount of gastric juice (for example, "Ranitidine"), but they should be taken strictly under the supervision of a doctor.
Soda in the fight against heartburn
According to many people, soda is exactly what helps with heartburn. At pregnancy to this question it is necessary to approach with special responsibility.
Getting into the stomach and connecting with hydrochloric acid, soda turns into carbon dioxide, salt and water. Heartburn really recedes, but after a while comes back with renewed vigor. The fault is carbon dioxide, which irritates the walls of the stomach.
Formed sodium salts also have their negative impact - they contribute to fluid retention in the body and the development of edema, which the future mother does not need.
Soda is an excellent remedy for a person, if applied externally. For example, as a rinse for a sick tooth or whitening agent for tooth enamel with a yellow coating, it can be added to the foot baths to soften the calluses and coarsened skin.
But the consumption of soda inside, especially during pregnancy, is unreasonable and even dangerous.
The implementation of simple recommendations will significantly ease your condition, because in heartburn there is nothing pleasant and it is not worth it. It is better to chew on raw carrots or take a pill than to spoil your mood: the baby needs a cheerful and happy mother. The main thing is to remember that all these inconveniences are temporary. When you take your child in your arms, even birth pain will be forgotten, not that there is some heartburn.