Water heater for aquarium: overview, types, instructions for use and reviews
To maintain the normal life of your domestic fish you need to install a water heater. Its presence is mandatory. It does not depend on the temperature in the room. In this article, we will try to answer the questions: how to choose the right water heater for the aquarium and how to install it.
What is a water heater for fish?
Aquarium water heater is a special device for water heating. It helps to provide a comfortable life for your fish. Especially it is necessary for tropical species, where the water temperature should be at a level of not less than 22 and not more than 30 degrees. It is often believed that a water heater for an aquarium is a simple and optional device. Although in importance it is equated to a water filter.
Previously, it was often possible to meet salt heaters. They functioned by passing electricity through the solution. But consumers had to independently regulate the level of salt liquid. So gradually this kind of thing is gone. At the moment there is a large number of different devices for heating water in a house for fish.
Types of water heaters
There are various devices for heating the water in the aquarium. Basically, they can be divided into four main types. Firstly, they are submersible models. They have several subtypes:
- Glass. The case of the device is shockproof, heat resistant. It closes tightly. Turns on and off automatically, while maintaining the set temperature.
- Plastic. Technically advanced heater in comparison with glass. It has compact dimensions, flat shape and LED signal.
- Model with a titanium heating element. Can be used for any aquarium. Perfect for heating large volumes of water, for example, if you keep not fish, but turtles.
- Mini Heaters They are characterized by a flat design that allows you to hide such a device even under the ground in the aquarium
Secondly, there is a running water heater for the aquarium on sale. It is mainly used for external filters, which allows you to leave more space in the aquarium itself. A vertical filter return hose is attached, which makes it possible to distribute heat evenly. Third, you can buy heating cables for heating water. They also provide a smooth flow of heat, pass along the bottom, are attached with suction cups. Fourthly, it is possible to use heating mats. They can be located under the aquarium. Provide a smooth heat dissipation.
We make the water heater in home conditions
Sometimes it is not possible to purchase even the simplest device for heating water. In this case, you should make a water heater for the aquarium with your own hands. For these purposes, there are many different ways. Let's consider one of them step by step:
- First you need to find a container that would withstand temperature changes and not burst. A plain glass jar of medicines may come up. To check, put it in a container of water at room temperature, holding it with tweezers. Pour boiling water: if there is no damage, you can use this container.
- The heater can have one or more series-connected resistors. In this case, there will be several. Prepare the resistors for placement. You can make a kind of valve to prevent sand from getting outside the heating part.
- Optionally, you can solder the LED. It will signal that the heater is turned on.
- We check whether the part responsible for heating works. To do this, plug the device into the socket for a short while and check the temperature of the device. Place the resistors in the prepared container. Only pre-fill it with sand or salt.
- We take a thermogun or glue for sealing aquariums. And fill all the remaining space in the water heater.
- For easy mounting, you can purchase a suction cup. It is only necessary to remove the hook from it.
- With the line we attach the suction cup to the heater.
That's all the actions that will be required for the self-made device for heating the water in the aquarium. If you are not ready to take up work yourself, it is better to contact specialized stores. The choice is very diverse: you can buy this or another water heater for the aquarium. The price will vary depending on the type, capacity and manufacturer's company. Usually the cost varies from 800 to 2 000 rubles.
Popular brands of water heaters for aquarium
When you come to a pet store to purchase a device for heating water, the question arises: which model is better? As practice shows, to acquire a better water heater for the aquarium of well-known and proven brands. The leading manufacturers of such devices include products Aquael, Eheim, Hagen, JBL, Tetra and Xilong.
So, water heater for aquarium Aquael has long won the markets, thanks to a good price-quality ratio. In the main the lineup is replenished with glass and plastic models. To optimize the use of such a device, the manufacturer of plastic water heaters proposes to install control buttons and an integrated electronic thermometer.
Eheim offers water heaters in the form of a rod. Thanks to the glass case and full immersion, the water is evenly heated. And such a manufacturer of thermoregulators for the aquarium, like Tetra, equips the device with an additional temperature regulator. Such devices effectively operate in an automatic mode.
How to choose the right water heater for you?
Let's say you decide to buy a water heater for an aquarium. How to choose it? It is worth thinking about this in advance, so that when you come to the store, you already know exactly what you want. Pay attention to the length, which should correspond to the level of water in the tank. Domestic heaters are all the same in length. If you buy a model without automatic adjustment, you will have to calculate the temperature so that in the heat the water does not overheat. Or it is possible to put two such devices, and in summer weather to disconnect one of them.
There are two opinions about the advisability of using an automatic temperature controller. Some believe that the liquid at different times of the day should change its thermal regime, as in a natural environment. This automation can not provide. Others, on the contrary, are sure that the aquarium should have a constant temperature.
To not lose with the power, the water heater for the aquarium is better to choose the stronger, with automatic adjustment. So you can set the heating shutdown when a certain temperature is reached. At the same time, always pay attention to the quality and, accordingly, the manufacturer.
What information will you find in the instructions for use for the water heater?
In addition to the technical characteristics of the device, which can be found in the instructions for use on the water heater, it is worth considering the recommendations for installing and adjusting the device. When you purchase a water heater for an aquarium, how to install it correctly will be written in the annotation. There you can find the following recommendations: the device can be completely immersed in water, as it is waterproof. Do not install the heater in gravel or sand. Do not forget about the lowering of the water level due to fumes. The water heater must be secured in a place where a constant and uniform circulation of water is ensured. Pay special attention to the following point: only 15 minutes after lowering the device into the water, you can connect it to the network.
The adjustment recommendations are as follows: it is necessary to wait for the heater to warm up a little - to the temperature of the surrounding water. Only after that it should be included. When the indicator light is on, this means that the unit is switched on. Further recommendations will be different depending on the presence or absence of automatic adjustment. Read the instructions before installing the device. Important recommendations for a particular model will be indicated exactly in it.
Reviews of different water heaters
And of course, any person will look at the reviews about the device before buying a water heater for the aquarium. The price will be taken into account, as well as the positive and negative moments of the operation of this or that device. For example, here are a few reviews about different models:
- Water heater for the Xilong AT-700 aquarium. On this model, buyers generally respond positively, because it is quite powerful. Workability of the device is from 20 to 30 degrees. There is a manual adjustment, it is located on top. Well thought out way to fix the water heater in the aquarium - there are suckers. Perfectly suits the volume of 100 liters of water.
- Aquarium Comfort Water Zone. The users themselves are satisfied with the work of such a water heater. Stops before buying only the fact that it is made using a single case. Because of this, many problems arise during the repair of the device.
Tips for purchasing a water heater
If you have an aquarium, do not forget that in addition to the water filter, especially for tropical fish, you need a water heater. When buying it, consider the capacity of your tank. It is worth buying only proven brands of water heaters. In addition, determine in advance the type of device that will best answer all your needs. Before installation, read the instructions for use.