Care for the elderly - social service
Elderly and sick people need special care. The time comes when parents who have raised their children need the help of their sons and daughters. Age and acquired diseases take their toll. Elderly people find it difficult to serve themselves, cook food, go to the store, do cleaning, and sometimes do not have enough strength even to dress.
Care for an elderly person
Relatives and relatives, as a rule, take care of the old people for themselves at first, but when it lasts for months and even years, it will be most reasonable to turn to specialists.
Caring for an older person is not easy, it takes a lot of time and dedication. And if caring for the elderly person is carried out by working relatives, then they simply do not have time for rest and personal life. In this case, the social care service for elderly people will come to the rescue.
What is the social assistance to the elderly?
Such a service exists in any city, even in provincial towns with a very small population. Social workers care for the elderly person. It consists in the following:
- hygienic care;
- assistance in taking medications and monitoring the frequency of their intake;
- conducting medical procedures or accompanying the ward to the place of their conduct;
- purchase of necessary food and medicine, this is done at the expense of the client;
- cooking for the elderly;
- assistance in taking food (feeding);
- hygienic cleaning and ventilation of the room where the elderly person is;
- washing and ironing clothes and bed linen ward;
- escort for a walk.
Such social support can be provided at various levels. You can ask for help for just a few hours to change bed linens or to bathe an elderly person. But sometimes a 24-hour presence of a social worker is required, and this is also possible. In this case, it is assumed that the employee of the social service resides in the ward's territory. Often social care for an elderly person is carried out by workers with medical education.
Where is the social service for elderly people?
How to find a service that cares for an elderly person? It's very simple - you need to contact the local municipality. It is necessary to come in person or call and inform that you need help caring for the elderly person. You will be informed about what you need to do for this.
Most likely, you will have to answer some questions and fill in the necessary papers to help you. If the person who needs help comes to the social service and he is not able to independently approach the municipality, the employees of this service will pay a visit to his house and help fill in all the necessary documents.
If necessary, social workers will advise relatives how to behave with elderly people. Sometimes the morbid state of older people severely spoils their character. They become capricious and intractable. The main thing here is patience and self-control.
Basic rules for communicating with older people
In order for the psychological atmosphere in the family where the elderly relative is not broken, it is necessary to follow a few simple rules.
- Avoid criticism, conflict situations and disputes in communication with an elderly person.
- If an elderly relative is dissatisfied with something and rebels, take it easy. You need to understand - this is a sign that he is bad. Find out the cause of discomfort.
- Help your old man talk about the fears that bother him, and it will be easier for him.
- Always listen to the old man to the end, do not deny him communication. But also to impose their presence, if the elderly relative is tired and wants to rest, it is not worth it.
- If he is not in the mood or state of resentment, do not continue the conversation. Gently stop it and promise to return to the topic later.
- Slowly, clearly and loudly say the words when talking with an elderly person, they often do not hear well. Treat him with respect.
- Remember the caress - when talking with an elderly person sit next to him, take him by the hand. If he sees and hears poorly, he needs tactile contact in the same way as little children need.
- Sometimes old people need to have their little secrets - it can be a secret place to store money or sweets, memorabilia. Do not forbid them this.
- No need to prohibit your elderly relatives to communicate with friends, talk to them on the phone.
- Accompany the old men for a walk.
Why contact a specialist?
A competent care for an elderly person will help improve his quality of life. Applying to the social service for the care of elderly people will help maintain the psychological balance in the family. There is such a work - caring for the elderly. They are specialists in their field, who clearly carry out competent care for the elderly. In this service there are medical workers and psychologists, whose professional help is sometimes very necessary.