Snot in a dog: symptoms, treatment characteristics and recommendations of professionals
With the onset of autumn cold weather, not only does a person become ill with colds. Snot from a dog is far from a rare occurrence, even beginner cynologists know about it. However, it can indicate many deviations in the animal's body. In order to understand why a dog has runny nose and how to cure it, you need to know the causes and accompanying symptoms of this phenomenon.
Causes of a cold in the dog
You can safely start treating a cold at your pet if the dog has touched one of the following reasons:
- Allergic reactions. In this case, the discharge from the nose of the dog is not thick, having no color.
- If the dog has narrow nostrils, the runny nose is just a phenomenon inherent in the breed. Therefore, if you are the owner of a pug, bulldog, Pekingese or griffin, then you do not have to worry.
- If foreign bodies get into the nose, then the dog rubs his paws, then the discharge can be with blood impurities.
- If the animal inhaled smoke or hot air, then the snot from the dog will pass very quickly.
- Viral infections can also cause rhinitis in the dog.
- Like a person, a dog can subcool, resulting in a cold.
These reasons are quite common. Treatment of each of them must be carried out in a complex manner. You can not use the same technique for all reasons. If in doubt, an animal has a rhinitis or problem in another factor, then study the symptoms of a runny nose in a dog.
Symptoms of rhinitis in dogs
If the dog is flowing snot, then you need to pay attention to the attendant symptoms of this phenomenon. It often happens that it is impossible to detect rhinitis, because there are no excretions from the nose of the animal. Then pay attention to the following symptoms:
- The dog is breathing heavily or snorting.
- The pet breathes with his mouth, with running shortness of breath appears.
- Cracks are visible on the nasal mucosa.
- The dog loses weight.
Usually it is not difficult to diagnose a runny nose in a dog. Your task is to correctly determine the cause of rhinitis, because it depends on her treatment.
If you are not sure that you have correctly diagnosed the animal, it is better to seek advice from a veterinarian. If you treat the animal in the wrong ways, you risk not only not achieve the desired result, but also aggravate the situation, provoking a number of complications.
How to treat a cold caused by surface factors
If you know for certain that snot from a dog is provoked by an allergic reaction, a foreign body or rhinitis, then getting rid of the pathology will not be difficult. So, the methods of treatment include:
- If an allergic reaction occurs, the cause must be eliminated. An allergen can be dust, the presence of other animals, an insect bite, the material from which a bowl is made for eating, certain types of food, plants.
- If a dog has a foreign object stuck in its nose, it is necessary to help the pet to remove it. If in a natural way you can not do this, ask your veterinarian for help.
- If the dog has green snot that smells unpleasant, then most likely the cause is a viral infection. In this case, you can not prescribe the treatment yourself, you need to take the pet to the vet.
If the cause of nasal discharge is anatomical defects, then the treatment takes on a different character.
How to treat anatomical disorders
Problems with the structure of the nasal area of the animal are rarely the cause of the common cold. However, it is worthwhile to know about such facts:
- If the animal has no hole between the nasal cavity and the mouth, then you will see a transparent selection. Without surgical intervention, this problem can not be solved.
- If the animal snores at night and breathes heavily, then perhaps it has an elongated soft palate. Such a defect is also eliminated by an operative route.
- If the dog's nostrils are narrowed, then there is nothing surprising in the discharge from the nose. You can solve this problem by surgery, but this is not an obligatory procedure.
If the dog has serious illnesses, the discharge from the nose becomes purulent. They need to pay special attention.
The dog snot: what to do with purulent discharge
If you see that the dog has a purulent, mucous and dense formations of green or yellow from the nose, the animal must be urgently taken to the vet. The reasons for such phenomena can be:
- Plague. This name often infuses people with horror, and in this case it is justified. From 30 to 100% of pups die within the first 3 months of life if they have a plague. You should worry if the dog begins to fear the light, hide in the dark, at the same time it starts diarrhea. Cough can also develop, the animal can wheeze. A particularly dangerous symptom is the red pimples on the abdomen of the animal. To diagnose the disease, it is necessary to take a sample of excreta from the nose of the animal and take it to the laboratory. After confirming the presence of pathology, the doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment.
- Adenovirus. This disease is accompanied by sneezing and coughing. If the dog has red eyes, then, most likely, you were not mistaken with the diagnosis. Remember that this pathology is very contagious, so do not immediately take the pet to the vet. It is better to call a specialist at home. The veterinarian will quickly determine the presence of the disease and prescribe the treatment.
Remember that when purulent discharge from the nose immediately need to send a pet to a specialist, because one of the above pathologies may well manifest in the dog.
Snot in a dog: how to treat properly. Advice of specialists
Experienced veterinarians say that a runny nose in an animal can be determined by the nature of snot. To raise panic and go to the hospital is only when there are accompanying symptoms and profuse purulent discharge.
The best advice from specialists is that it is necessary to constantly monitor the behavior and health of the pet. No disease passes unnoticed. In observational hosts, dogs are rarely ill, and any pathology is quickly eliminated.