Rickets in puppies: symptoms and treatment
Rickets affects dogs at a young age, when the animals, especially the large breed, rapidly growing. The most dangerous is the age from three months to a year. Pathology may be associated with vitamin D deficiency and newstories phosphorus and calcium. Rickets in puppies is treatable, but the process is long, and it will require from the owner a lot of effort and patience.
Rickets is translated from Greek as "the spine", and refers to disturbances in bone formation with insufficient coverage of bone minerals during the period of active growth of the animal. Rickets in puppies at an early stage can detect x-rays. The photograph shows changed the end portions of the long bones.
Rickets is also called English disease, because it was first described by orthopedic Englishman Gleason. In the study of the disease were identified the ways to prevent its development. For the prevention recommended that the receiving fish (cod) fat, and to treat in the early stages of prescribed irradiation by quartz lamps.
Rickets in puppies, photos of which are presented in the article is of several types, each of which has its own characteristics and varieties.
The classical type (vitamin D deficiency) rickets distinguish clinical variants:
1. Saturation of blood phosphorus and calcium rickets is:
- unexpressed changes in the rate elements.
2. The occurrence of isolated forms:
- sharp — osteomalation and neurological symptoms
- subacute — hard to grow osteoid tissue: the formation of the frontal and parietal tuber, thickened Metacarpals, phalanges and ribs at the point of transition to the cartilage
- recurrent (wavy) after previously suffering active rickets.
3. Severity there are three degrees of the disease:
- easy — the initial stage
- moderate — with moderate-to-severe deformity of the bone tissues and organs
- heavy defeat of many parts of the skeleton, internal organs and nervous system, the animal lagging behind in development, manifest complications of the disease.
The development of secondary rickets:
- syndromes of malabsorption, when the nutrients are absorbed in insufficient quantities, that is poorly absorbed
- chronic kidney disease and biliary tract
- long-term use of anticonvulsants.
There are also vitamin D-dependent and vitamin D-resistant (phosphate diabetes) types of rickets.
The etiology of the disease
Rickets in puppies can develop for several reasons. The most common are:
- Insufficient intake of dogs of phosphorus, calcium and vitamin D or the inability of their assimilation leads to a rapid progression of the disease.
- Disruption of parathyroid gland prevents the intake of essential elements and leads to an imbalance in hormonal levels.
- Cell trait, handed the puppy from their ancestors.
Vitamin D helps absorb calcium, and its deficiency occurs as a result of a violation of the biosynthesis by UV light in the skin, the subcutaneous tissue and in the liver. Will help to compensate for the lack of this vitamin consumption of fish (cod) fat, dairy products (cottage cheese, cheese), vegetable oils, seafood and some types of herbs.
Improper conditions of detention in premises with high humidity and lack of sunlight hinder proper physical development, and rickets in a German puppy (or representative of any other large breed) develops from the first month of life.
For the timely diagnosis of the disease must carefully observe the development of the pet from birth. The first notable sign of a lack of important elements in the animal body are dental enamel defects.
The rickets in a German shepherd puppy at an early stage can be determined by:
- reduced activity and fatigue during walks
- the lack of desire to play and meet other dogs.
Often these symptoms are confused with personality and situational manifestations of a pet and do not pay them enough attention. But if you do not take any action, the situation will worsen, leading to more pronounced symptoms:
- curvature range and strong stoop
- to reduce muscle tissue when walking the animal bowed legs, the limbs become flabby and soft muscle tone is not observed
- osteochondrosis, which manifests as a thickening of the joints of the feet, on the edges of formations in the form of nodes
- destruction and tooth loss
- brittle bones — frequent fractures, even minor exposure to provoking serious injuries
- change the chest, which rises and sticks out due to the fact that bone no longer cope with the weight of the dog
- the sagging belly
- disproportionate big head and short limbs
- problems with the hair, which becomes dull, dandruff appears and baldness
- the dysfunction of internal organs
- frequent disorder of the gastrointestinal tract
- disturbances of mental development.
Especially should pay attention to inappropriate behavior, which is manifested by the fact that the puppy starts eating, gnawing and licking inedible objects: the earth, the stones, the walls, the floor — this is a clear indication that he is actively developing the disease.
To diagnose rickets in puppies, symptoms of which are at an advanced stage visible to the naked eye, it is necessary to conduct a series of surveys. The vet prescribed:
- Analysis of blood biochemistry and levels of calcium and phosphorus.
- Evaluation of motor functions.
- We conducted a General inspection of the pet.
Upon confirmation of the diagnosis is assigned to the appropriate treatment.
Rickets in puppies, treatment of which is discussed below, require the owner of patience. This is a long process that requires attention and effort. But if you start therapy immediately after diagnosis, it can be fast enough to achieve good results.
How to treat rickets in puppies, the vet will tell you, after using the tests to determine the deficiency of which element led to the development of the disease, and prescribe appropriate therapy.
- Shown aqueous solution of vitamin D in combination with calcium gluconate injection. Vitamin used every day, and injections performed two to three times a week. The course is one month.
- Assign trivitamin in the form of daily drops or injections every seven days.
- To improve the condition of the joints can be shown of the mummy.
- Artificial ultraviolet radiation through a quartz bulb, which is held under the supervision of a specialist.
To complicate the course of disease may be infected with worms. Therefore, it is necessary to conduct regular antihelminthic therapy and control the treatment process by means of tests.
You should also provide pet frequent exposure to the sun and to enter into the diet more liquid gelatin, dairy products, cod liver oil (one teaspoon every other day) and vitamin complexes.
Treatment of rickets is quite expensive. Therefore, in order to keep the family budget, you should provide your pet in good conditions, complete meals and long walks in the fresh air.
The proper diet — rather difficult occupation. After all, it is necessary to consider not only the presence is necessary for the development of nutrients, but their absorption by the body. To devise a scheme proper nutrition will help the technician, the basic principles are as varied and useful feeding, which should contain dairy products, vegetables, fruit, meat, cereals, balanced feed and vitamin complexes. Food should always be fresh and in the quantities that you want the puppy of a certain age.
What is the importance of walking
Ultraviolet light stimulates the natural production of vitamin D. it is Therefore particularly important to provide your pet long walks in Sunny weather. In cloudy weather time-range should increase as the amount of ultraviolet radiation is reduced.
In the winter time it is recommended to artificially irradiate puppies quartz lamp. This procedure can be performed at home or going to the sessions to the vet.
Rickets in puppies is a very dangerous and common disease. Timely diagnosis and the necessary therapy to help cope with the disease and put pet on his feet. Do not forget that the healing process is significantly influenced by the love and attention of the owner, so take care of four-legged friend need to learn.