Why a child often hiccups and what to do
A newborn child in any family brings joy and a happy laugh. Newly mummified are very timid and literally keep an eye on the child. They do not sleep at night, looking at their baby, and try to study their baby right up to the last birthmark. However, from time to time, her mother notes with fright that her child shudders convulsively, hiccups and cries. Frightened, she rushes to look for information - why the child often hiccups and what does it mean?
Nature of hiccups
In order to understand the causes of childhood hiccups, it is necessary to remember why this process happens in adults and what this threatens. We often hiccup, but it does not last long, so sometimes we do not notice the beginning and the end of the process, especially if we are passionate about something at the time. Hiccups, in fact, is a convulsive contraction of the diaphragm, arising from irritating factors.
The causes of hiccoughs can be:
• Binge eating. Alas, but this is the most frequent stimulus causing seizures.
• Cooling. Cold is a fairly common cause of hiccups.
• Frightened. Yes, yes, fright also can cause convulsive attacks.
• Swallowing the air. Accidentally swallowed air is often capable of causing this trouble.
However, everyone knows that hiccups are a fairly fast passing thing, disappearing in just a few minutes.
Hiccups in children
The answer to the question, why the baby often hiccups - lies on the surface: for the same reasons as we are with you. Attacks arise from hearty food, from hypothermia, from air, etc. The main thing is to understand what affects the occurrence of this trouble.
For example, swallowing air can be caused by the wrong shape of the nipple on the bottle, through which the baby gets food. Or the cause may be the incorrect position of the baby during feeding. These 2 reasons happen most often, the elimination of which will save Mom from such problems.
Sometimes hiccups can occur after bathing a baby in the bath. Usually in such cases, newly mums can not understand for a long time what is the matter, if the child is a week, often hiccups after bathing. The problem is that babies have very tender skin, and even a slight change in air temperature can cause them to shudder in attacks of hiccoughs.
How to help your baby
Some women, still carrying a future baby under the heart, prefer to learn all the information in advance, which will be useful to them in the future, and are engaged in preliminary preparation for the upcoming care of the baby. Some of their questions worry the whole pregnancy - why the child often hiccups, for example, and how to deal with it. Here are some useful tips on this:
• Watch the baby during feeding. You can not give your baby a chest, keeping it in a horizontal position, because it is more "natysya" air than milk. Also, you should carefully choose a newborn baby's nipple, with which it will eat. It should ideally be suitable for feeding your child.
• Do not allow loud noises, bright light and other irritating factors in the baby. By this you will prevent the appearance of fright and hiccup attacks.
• After bathing, wrap the baby in a warm blanket. It is desirable to produce this procedure as quickly as possible so that the baby does not have time to freeze.
• Do not overfeed your baby. The fact is that a full stomach presses against the diaphragm, which causes its convulsive contraction. Feed the baby in smaller portions. Very often this problem occurs with older children, therefore, in order not to suffer the question - why a two-month-old child often hiccups - do not try to force food into the baby.
• Give the baby a few drops of lemon juice under the tongue or a little freshly chamomile. This should affect the process of hiccups and stop it. It is worth remembering that this miracle cure should be used only in the most extreme cases.
Here are a few tips that will help you in the care of a tiny lump, keeping to which you will not have a question - why the child often hiccups.
That is categorically forbidden
It is not recommended to frighten the baby in the hope of getting rid of hiccups. This method not only does not justify itself, but also it is capable to do much harm to the kid. The fact is that a child after severe stress will begin to suffer even more hiccough attacks. Such situations are not uncommon. Moreover, from a sudden fright the child can be so much frightened that later you will have to treat it also from stuttering.
In order not to ask then why the monthly child often hiccups, one does not need to listen to "kind" counselors, in whose role grandmothers or compassionate neighbors can often be.
Hiccups as a dangerous symptom
Sometimes hiccups can serve as a kind of bell, calling parents to be on the alert. It should be remembered that a normal hiccup should stop within 20 minutes. If the seizure lasts more than half an hour - this is an alarm.
Often repeated seizures indicate that not everything is in order with a small organism. So, why does a baby often hiccup?
If you carefully checked and removed all the factors that could affect the occurrence of seizures, but it did not help, you need to urgently go to the pediatrician, on the account of which your baby is. The fact is that a long and painful hiccup may be evidence of such pathologies:
• typical poisoning;
Elevated blood sugar;
• mental disorders;
• malignant neoplasms in the brain;
• pinched nerve of the diaphragm;
• parasites in the intestine.
Only after full delivery of all necessary tests the doctor will be able to diagnose and give a detailed answer to the question - why the child often hiccups. Do not be frightened by the above list, it is possible that the baby had a pinch of the diaphragmatic nerve during childbirth - this situation is most common.
When to contact a doctor
If you are alerted to the above symptoms, you should observe the baby for several days. 3 days is enough. If the hiccups indicate a pathology, then it will be accompanied by pain in the child - he will scream and cry at the same time.
Also worth paying attention to the duration. As already noted, a normal attack lasts for about half an hour, and at the last minute, everything passes and the baby does not notice that he is hiccuping. If it happens loudly and enthusiastically - write down to the pediatrician.
Prevention of hiccups
A newly mum can still notice in the hospital that the baby is often subjected to convulsive seizures. This can alert her and make her worry. Yet, why do newborn children often hiccup? What is the reason for this?
Our body is designed in such a way that all the organs and functions performed by them are interrelated. Ickanie, in fact, helps excess food to digest faster in the stomach, and is also sometimes a signal of some kind of need. For example, in a liquid. Or warm.
Scientists have long proven that the baby starts hiccup while still in the womb, and this is a perfect normal natural process. Do not focus on the attacks. However, if you are still worried about periodic hiccups, then there are certain preventive measures that are well known to doctors.
Prevention of hiccups
For example, after each feeding you need to achieve belching from the baby. For this, there are special techniques that can be learned in the maternity hospital. Nurses and neonatologists will gladly tell you about them and teach them how to apply.
Also, you need to ensure that the baby does not want to drink. Sometimes strong thirst is a source of seizures. Therefore, in time, drink the child with water, and you will not have a question - why the child often hiccups.
It is advisable to pay more attention to the fact that the baby is not in the cold for a long time. This can lead not only to bouts of hiccoughs, but also to hypothermia and, as a consequence, to colds.