Pediashur: reviews, instructions, prices
Few parents heard about the mixture of "Pediashur". Healthy babies do not need it at all, but babies who have had a serious illness, surgery, or lack of weight, this remedy is absolutely necessary. However, only your pediatrician or gastroenterologist can prescribe this medication.
Confusion among parents
For Russian citizens, this is a mysterious product ("Pediashur"). Reviews about it vary: some say it's dry powder for premature babies of Spanish origin, others say it's a milk drink for children from the year, made in the Netherlands. Confusion arose because of the company-manufacturer Abbott ("Abbott") and its products.
On its official website there are about 19 different types of dry and milk mixtures "Pediashur" with various additives made in Canada, Pakistan, the Netherlands and the USA. The Russian portal of this company includes mixtures of "Similak" and "Pediashur" (1.0 and 1.5). It is in the first catalog of products that dry powder for Similac NeoSure premature babies of Spanish origin is presented, and in the second department there is a mixture of PediaSure. But these are completely different mixtures.
There is one more point that causes doubts among parents. Russian mothers and dads are looking for a dry mix of Pediashur in pharmacies, which can only be found on the company's official website. In Russia, ready-made milk drinks are sold in plastic bottles.
Brief description of the product "Pediashur"
The feedback from specialists only confirms the need to use this mixture for enteral nutrition (this is one of the types of therapeutic nutrition, when the food comes physiologically through the natural way - through the mouth). He is prescribed oncological patients, after severe or chronic long-term illnesses, with hormonal disorders or surgical interventions, which result in underweight in children. Also, doctors in individual cases can prescribe a curative mixture to children who are fastidious in food, refuse solid food or those who lack appetite.
In the Russian pharmacy you can find two types of drink "Pediashur" (the price starts from 120 rubles per 200-gram bottle):
- the mixture of 1.0 has the taste of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla;
- product 1.5 - only vanilla.
The difference of mixtures is not only in the variety of taste, but also the number of calories per milliliter, which are denoted by a figure. Abroad, this product is also produced in metal cans (dry powder), but it has not yet been brought to Russia.
Product "Pediashur 1.0"
Produced in plastic two hundred-milliliter bottles with a tube. In closed packaging, the mixture can be stored for a year at a temperature of up to twenty-five degrees. The therapeutic product should not be frozen, boiled, heated in a microwave and diluted with water.
This type of mixture "Pediashur" (reviews emphasize this) should not be given to infants until a year, as well as children with hereditary galactoseemia (when the process of converting galactose into glucose is broken).
This product is recommended for babies who do not tolerate lactose or are hypersensitive to it, and it can also be used by children with gluten enteropathy. It is absolutely safe balanced mixture, which does not contain preservatives, gluten, dyes, genetically modified products.
This type of mixture contains 5.6 grams of protein, fifteen minerals and fourteen vitamins, the most necessary for the growth and development of children.
In the first form, the content of the mixture is the same, only the flavors (vanilla, strawberry, chocolate) are changing. The product includes:
- sucrose, l-carnitine, water, flavor, xanthan copper stabilizer
- maltodextrin, m-inositol;
- oils: sunflower high-oleic, soy, oil with triglycerides (medium-chain);
- whey protein concentrate, sodium caseinate;
- emulsifiers: soy lecithin and monoglyceride;
- vitamins: biotin, choline bitartrate, folic and ascorbic acid, riboflavin, phylloquinone, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, vitamin D3, A, E, K1, B1.2.6, 12, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate;
- minerals: potassium chloride, citrate, hydrophosphate, iodide; sodium citrate, fluoride, selenite, molybdate; magnesium chloride, tricalcium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, copper, manganese; chromium chloride.
The composition of the mixture "Pediashur 1.0" is fully balanced and suitable for the growth and development of the child.
Product "Pediashur 1.5"
Mixtures of this type contain dietary fibers, fructo-oligosaccharides and have a vanilla taste. Just like the first type of "Pediashur" -1.0, this product is recommended for children over the age of one year and up to ten years who do not have the opportunity to eat solid food, refuse to eat and have insufficient body weight.
A mixture of "Pediashur" can also be bought in plastic bottles in the pharmacy. It is used instead of the main food or as an addition to the dish two or three times. But how many days to drink a dietary therapeutic mixture, appoints only the doctor individually.
This product also does not contain GMO, gluten, lactose, so it can be prescribed as a diet drink of a certain category of children (to whom lactose and gluten are contraindicated). But it is forbidden to give babies up to a year and children with hereditary galactosemia.
Storage times in closed and open packages are the same. After the expiration date, the open package must be discarded, even if the child has not touched it.
Which components contain the mix type 1.5
According to the nutritional value, this type is more rich in vitamins, minerals and other useful substances than the first "Pediashur". Its composition is as follows:
- sucrose, l-carnitine, water, vanilla flavor,
- maltodextrin, m-inositol, taurine, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose,
- oils: sunflower high-oleic, soy, with triglycerides (medium-chain),
- whey protein concentrate, oat fibers,
- emulsifiers: soy lecithin, di- and monoglyceride,
- vitamins: biotin, choline bitartrate, folic and ascorbic acid, riboflavin, phylloquinone, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, vitamin D3, A, E, K1, B1,2,6, 12, pyridoxine hydrochloride, nicotinamide, cyanocobalamin, calcium pantothenate,
- minerals: chloride of magnesium, potassium, chromium; phosphate tricalcium, dicium; citrate of potassium, sodium; sulfate of iron, copper, zinc, manganese; potassium iodide, sodium molybdate, sodium selenium salt;
- soy polysaccharides, fructo-oligosaccharides, gum arabic.
Should I use the product "Pediashur"?
This balanced diet is designed to increase appetite and optimize the nutrition of children between the ages of up to 10 years. The variety of flavors contributes to the fact that the child drinks the mixture with pleasure, getting the necessary complex of vitamins, protein, minerals.
If, however, to indulge children's whims and allow the child to eat selectively, then after a long time, less and less useful substances will start to enter the body, which will lead to a developmental lag, both physical and mental. Long-term studies of specialists have confirmed the positive impact of therapeutic components on the baby's organism.
In this case, the mixture can be used as a substitute for basic food or used as a supplement to dinner. Standard per day you need to drink 2-3 bottles of "Pediashur" (the price will fluctuate around 240-360 rubles (per day)). The product is not cheap, since open packaging is stored in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours, and if the child has not touched the mixture, next time it is necessary to open a new bottle.
The advantages of the mixture. Dosage
The Dutch dietary product (both types) has several advantages over other means for children with malnutrition.
- It contains all the necessary nutrients for the growth and development of the body.
- Each type of mixture has a balanced amount of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and substances necessary for intellectual development.
- A therapeutic drink can be given to children with gluten enteropathy and being on a lactose-free diet because of the absence of lactose and gluten in the product.
- The taste is excellent for the mixture "Pediashur" (parents' testimonies indicate that children drink especially well the first kind, where there are more flavor options).
- Convenient packaging allows you to drink a drink through a tube or using a lid like a glass.
- Unopened packaging can be stored for a long time in the refrigerator.
- The mixture is ready for use.
The doctor appoints an individual dose of Pediashur for each specific case. The instruction recommends the following:
- a day to drink no more than 3 bottles;
- before use, shake the mixture;
- drink small sips or through a tube in a cooled form (you can room temperature, but do not heat).
What do parents say about this magic mixture?
Now let's pay attention to the quality of the mixture "Pediashur". Reviews about this from moms and dads are ambiguous. Some do not understand what is unique about this mixture, since there is nothing "magical" in it, but children grow "as leaps and bounds". There are parents who believe that this is a placebo, and the product is no different from the usual dry mix.
But get into the composition of any similar product, and you will see that the therapeutic drink "Pediashur" is leading in terms of energy value. This is his secret! In 200 milliliters contains the maximum amount of proteins, vitamins and minerals necessary for the growth and development of children. Its effectiveness is noticeable with daily use for 2-4 months for one bottle (average weight gain - per kilogram per month). However, the final dosage is prescribed by the doctor, based on the specific case.
In conclusion - a few words about what you can replace "Pediashur". Analogues of this product, equally effective, are absent. Some parents believe that it can be replaced with a double dose of an ordinary dry mix. However, this position is unjustified, because "Pediashur" is a unique product with a specially saturated balanced composition.