Nut and bread saved: signs, customs and congratulations
In the summer time, Orthodox people adhere to the Assumption Post, which lasts exactly three weeks. It ends with the onset of the Three Spas. The very first one is the Honey Spas which is celebrated on August 14. Five days later, on August 19, it's time for the Apple Savior. The last, the third is the Nut Savior, in the people it is also called Hlebny. It is celebrated before the fall - August 29.
History of occurrence
Nut and Hlebnaya Spas was first celebrated back in 944. It was August 29, by order of the Byzantine emperor Constantine, the Image of the Savior appeared in Constantinople. Employees moved it from the ancient city of Edessa.
In Russia, Nut and Bread Savior is not usually celebrated in a special way. Usually this day is honored only by deeply orthodox people. What can not be said about the Apple Spa, which in our country is quite popular.
Since ancient times, August 29, it was decided to work. No one was happy with his days off, did not allow himself to relax and celebrate. As a rule, everyone was interested in harvesting and working in the fields.
The only thing that happened on that day was the people's fairs. There was a belief that on this day, trade will be more fruitful than ever. At that time, each person took into account the following formula:
- First, the Honey Spas stands on the water.
- Apple is content with the second Savior.
- The third Savior - bread in store.
After a hard working day, the peasants spoiled themselves with a festive dinner.
What should be on the table on this day?
The Third Savior, Nut-Hlebny, is usually celebrated at a round table in the circle of the closest people. Housewives carefully prepared for dinner and tried to surprise their guests with a pie with nuts. A necessary attribute on the table was bread. Previously, he was consecrated to the church. God's "gift" could not be cut with a knife, all guests broke off a small piece of it and ate it.
This conditional tradition exists today. But you can not buy bread in the store, his mistress must bake on their own.
Another important attribute on the festive table is the nut branch. She acted as a symbol of this sacred day. They were also tentatively assigned to the church. It was believed that after the consecration they were endowed with powerful power. This branch had to be brought into the house in Orekhovy and Hlebny Spas and left it there for the whole year. According to ancient tradition, this amulet brings happiness to the house.
Men celebrated this holiday with a strong beer, but they drank no more than one large glass at the festive table. They stretched it for the whole evening. On this day, it was also customary to visit friends with a holiday cake. It was believed that if a person does not eat a hunk of this day on a given day, then the next year he will fail.
There are several signs that take their power in Nut and Bread Spas.
- It is believed that it is after the Nut Savior that a sick person can be cured, and a healthy person can strengthen his health. To do this, the house must bring a broom made of hazel, and hang it on the door.
- It is on August 29 that it is customary to purify and sanctify the water. To each well in the villages the priest approached and carried out his rite. From the next day, underground water was considered curative.
- On the eve of the holy feast, it was decided to purify the soul and body. In the evening, before going to bed, people went to the bath and bathed with a broom. In the afternoon, it was customary to go to church to pray for sins. Purified from the inside and outside, Orthodox people welcomed the holiday.
- It is recommended that this day sow rye for the winter, then the harvest will be rich. The old rye is removed and made of flour.
- In the morning, before breakfast, home prayer was pronounced. As a rule, women remained at home, while men went to work in the fields.
- Grandmothers on the feast prepared a medicine for the whole winter - a special nutty tincture against colds. Then for three weeks they put her in a dark cool place.
The onset of the Nut Savior can be recognized by several national signs:
- It was noticed that on this day the most beautiful birds - swallows and cranes - make their last appearance. It was believed that if they fly away, the winter will be frosty. If after this day they stay for a while, the winter will be warm.
- If on August 29 the Nut Hlebnyi Spas is accompanied by rain with a strong thunderstorm, the harvest will be large.
- It was believed that if this day is dry heat, autumn and winter will be poor.
In the first, second and third Savior it was customary to baptize children. People believed that if you make this procedure on a holy feast, the crumb will be under the protection of the Savior. A good sign was the construction of a new well. People wishing to strengthen their health, made brooms from hazel and went with them to the bath.
How are they celebrating now?
Of course, many traditions have already been lost, and this holy holiday has long been not celebrated as it was noted before. Nobody brings walnut branches into the house and does not go to church in order to consecrate bread. Many on this day continue to work and deal with land matters. However, there are still deeply Orthodox people who remember the existence of the holiday. They bake pies and treat them to their neighbors, relatives and friends. People gather in a warm family circle for a cup of tea.
Pleikast "Nut and Bread Savior" sends each other young people in social networks. Simultaneously, they study the features of the holiday. Some schools hold cognitive class hours.
Virtually every house sounds in the Nut Bread-Savior congratulations. People wish each other good harvests, warmth and good. Young couples who had recently joined a marriage union were made to give a cotton diaper, wishing them a speedy appearance of the heir.
Also ringing sound in Orekhovy and Khlebny Spas poems of his own. They are usually pronounced in temples and on topical classroom hours in schools. For example, you can hear these:
Bread Savior came to our house,
He brought comfort and joy.
And leave for later
All misfortunes and losses!
You can also congratulate in prose, for example, to tell people close to you: “On this holy holiday, we want to wish your home to be full of love, kindness and understanding.”
Already more than ten centuries have passed since this holiday appeared. Of course, many of the traditions that existed before are already lost and are not observed, as well as people's signs. However, in the church calendar, the Nut Savior is still considered a holiday. Therefore, every believing person should congratulate his close people on this great day.
Despite the fact that this holiday no longer enjoys such popularity as several centuries ago, on this day the doors of the temples are still open to Orthodox people. August 29, services and sacred rites are held.