Cage for a dog - luxury or necessity
For many owners the cage for the dog still continues to be in the category of excesses and unnecessary luxury. Some of these owners believe that closed in a confined space, and, moreover, in so small an animal is doomed to moral and physical suffering, which, in fact, is cruelty on the part of the owner. Their doubts are understandable, but their justifications are very, very superficial.
Why, for example, does no one protest against wooden booths in the private sector or against woven and sewn dog houses in apartments? But this is practically the same! Essence does not change! A cage for a dog is her home, her refuge. Especially in an unfamiliar or in general someone else's place.
Pay attention to how dogs behave at exhibitions. Some are nervous and, clutching their tail, are shaking at the master's foot in the hope of finding support and protection, and some, on the contrary, are trying to find out the relationship, periodically showing a grin. As a result - fatigue and increased irritation in the ring, which means - not always an excellent score, even, it would seem, the ideal dog. But those animals that were quietly sitting in a cage (note - they mostly slept in it), appeared before the expert in a fresh, rested form. And this is because, despite the accumulation of other dogs and people, they were isolated, and therefore protected.
The same role is played by the dog transport cage (usually plastic). Trains, cars, endless transplants and waiting rooms ... All this can also cause stress. Carrying this stress if does not exclude, then, undoubtedly, significantly reduces. Perhaps you noticed that the dog, being in a state of fear, tries to get into the corner darker and even more crowded. This is a natural, natural reaction. Therefore, placing the dog in a cage for transportation, we really help it to survive the unrest. And in some modes of transport (for example, in airplanes) transportation of animals without a container is generally unacceptable (of course, if the dog is not a conductor).
By the way, a cage for a dog can come in handy when cleaning an apartment or arriving guests, especially if they came with a small child. The baby can not always be explained that the dog can not be pulled by the ear and shoved fingers into her eyes. Therefore, the cell will become a real salvation for the animal. A cage for a large dog is needed in the same way as for a small one.
And what is it worth to teach a puppy to cleanliness? And here, too, a cage for a dog is useful. Leaving the house, you can close the puppy for a couple of hours, and on return immediately take it out for a walk. Just remember: for a long time you can not leave a dog in a cage: this will negatively affect its health. For normal development, the animal lacks good nutrition, it needs more movement, loads, games and, of course, the attention of the owner.
If you still come to the conclusion that a cage for a dog is really needed, use the recommendations below.
- Do not rush to buy a cage more expensive or cheaper. Look closely. There are cells wire, folding and convenient to carry (like a suitcase), but they are heavier than plastic. Plastic cells, in turn, are more bulky (with such a container you will look like a turtle carrying a shell on its back), but convenient for transportation.
- Calculate the dimensions. The dog should stand upright and be able to lie down, stretched out. In this sense, the bigger the cage, the better. However, the train is overweight, for which you have to pay (although the payment is very meager), and climb stairs that are not equipped with ramps, it will be difficult.
- At the bottom of the cage, be sure to put a mat (mattress, blanket), familiar to the dog.
- Acquire or sew on a cage cover (animal will be cozier and calmer).
- Accustom the dog to a new place gradually, leaving the door open. Put a couple of toys inside (changing them once a couple of days). You can even feed the dog in a cage (so it will get used much faster).
- Do not leave the animal in a closed cage for a long time (even if you are on a trip), it should be able to walk, warm up, drink water, play.
- If the dog with unaccustomed whining and gnawing cage rods, distract it and open the door only when it calms down. Otherwise, you risk reinforcing the bad habit of worming to attract attention.