How to Become an Egg Donor
Today we will talk about what is the donation of oocytes. We will also mention a little the topic of in vitro fertilization.
Donation of oocytes is the transfer of healthy female ovaries to couples who can not have children for health reasons. The delivery of material can be free of charge. Also, sometimes this action is rewarded.
What is the essence of oocyte donation?
Before becoming a donor of eggs, you need to familiarize yourself with the essence of this procedure. You should also find out why it is being conducted, what are the testimonies and the consequences.
In every healthy woman, nature has a certain number of ovules. Each month, one or two cells mature and exit from the ovaries. If there is no fertilization, the egg leaves through menstruation from the body.
In the ovaries of a woman there are about 400 thousand oocytes. Of these, an ovum ripens every month. Only 400 oocytes are converted into an egg for the entire reproductive period of a woman.
Every month several oocytes are prepared to become an ovum. But only one or two matures, sometimes three. The development of the oocyte ends and ovulation occurs. In this period the woman's body is ready for fertilization. Unmatched oocytes atrophy.
The transfer of eggs to another woman comes from body stores that will not be used. It turns out, the woman gives oocytes, which in her body would never turn into an egg.
Determine in advance what will be the future child - a boy or a girl - on the egg is impossible. Therefore, every case of donation is unpredictable.
The period of pregnancy is a rather intimate moment, in which a special relationship is established between the mother and the child. And it consists not only in the transfer of nutrients to the fetus, but also in the emotional and psychic connection of the mother and the future of a small new person.
Who needs donor eggs?
According to medical indicators, some women need donor eggs to conceive a child, since they can not get pregnant naturally through them. There are many reasons for this.
There are indicators for which a woman can not become pregnant on her own. It is possible that the organism does not produce eggs, or they have some kind of pathology. Therefore alone it can not conceive a child.
Causes of the absence of ova in the female body
The main cause is early menopause. It can occur 15 or 20 years before the usual age. In this case, a young woman can not become pregnant. Therefore, donor eggs are the only way for such women to have children.
There is a statistic that makes it known that premature menopause occurs in 5% of the female population.
It happens that for medical reasons some of the ladies are removed by the ovaries. Then they can not get pregnant through their eggs.
To the reasons for not being able to conceive a child through their eggs, you can also include:
- Hormonal changes in oocytes, violation of chromosome set. In such cases it is not recommended to have a baby with the use of its cells.
- Presence of hereditary diseases that can pass from mother to child.
Who can become a donor?
Any healthy woman of reproductive age can become a donor. Generally, it is required that the age range from 18 to 35 years. Also, of course, a woman should have a desire.
If the girl decided to become a donor, then she should know that there is an anonymity policy. That is, the recipient does not recognize the donor, and vice versa. A relative or a friend of a prospective mother may act as a donor.
How are suitable women identified, and where to become an egg donor?
First of all, those donors that are suitable for the blood group and the Rh factor are distinguished. Next, it is determined which future parents would like to see their child, what he should have growth, eye color and hair color.
Before becoming a donor of eggs, you should know that all women undergo a medical examination. It includes genetic analysis, predisposition to some pathologies and so on.
What does it take to become an egg donor?
- A woman will need a certificate from a psychiatrist about the state of her health. This document is issued at the local polyclinic at the place of stay.
- It is also necessary to provide the results of fluorography.
The main conditions by which it is determined whether it is possible to become an egg donor:
- Age of the woman is from 18 to 35 years. It should have average height and weight.
- A person must be healthy mentally and physically. In the body of a woman who is going to become a donor, there should not be any chronic diseases, including gynecological ones.
- Bright phenotypic signs are not allowed.
- If a woman has already acted as a donor, then a certain period of time must pass from the moment of the latter. Minimum is 4 months.
Where can I become an egg donor? In a specialized medical institution. As a rule, a free medical examination of a woman is conducted in the clinic that collects oocytes. Also, there is a consultation on how to become an egg donor. Further, if a woman meets all the requirements, a contract is signed with her.
A girl should know that in order to take oocytes from her, her body will be stimulated.
How does the procedure for the donation of eggs?
- At the beginning of the cycle, namely on days 2 or 3, a woman needs to come to the clinic where the oocyte collection process will be carried out. The donor should go to the reproductive health doctor.
- The doctor appoints the necessary examination to prepare for donation. Namely delivery of the necessary analyzes. This examination lasts about 14 days.
- Next, it is necessary to synchronize the menstrual cycles of the donor and recipient.
- The next step is to stimulate the woman's body with hormones. This procedure is necessary in order to mature several eggs, and not one or two. During this period, in order to track the growth of the follicles, it is necessary to visit a reproductive physician. Monitoring of egg maturation is carried out through monitoring. During the maturation of cells, the important thing is the implementation of all the recommendations of the doctor. At the same time, you need to take the medication at the appointed time, not to miss the reception.
- When the follicles ripen, the donor is given a puncture procedure. It is carried out under anesthesia. It lasts a short time, about 15 minutes.
- After the extraction of eggs from the donor's organism, they are fertilized by the sperm of the patient's husband. Then they are transferred to the uterus of the future mother. Usually, from several eggs, embryos are produced in the amount of two or three pieces. If there are more, then you can leave it just in case. For example, if this IVF is unsuccessful. There is a possibility that embryos may not take root in the uterus of a future mother. For storage, the embryos are cryopreserved and left in the clinic.
What can be wrong if you become an egg donor? The consequences of this medical intervention we now consider.
You should know that some clinics offer donors a reward. Its size can be different. But, as a rule, the average amount is 50,000 rubles. There are also special programs that offer women to become donors for free. Thus, they can help a childless couple realize their dream and get an opportunity to have a child.
A woman who said to herself: "I will become an egg donor!" - it is necessary to know that hormonal stimulation of the body can cause harm to health. Therefore, before deciding to donate, you should consult a doctor. He, having carried out the research, accurately sotvetit, you can become an egg donor or not. Perhaps he will say that it is better to refuse. Since taking money can cause some kind of pathology.
It should be remembered that stimulation of the body by hormones is a risk to the development of any disease. Even a healthy woman, who is suitable for donation according to the results of the examination, can get serious illness due to the use of hormonal preparations. For example, an oncological disease. Therefore, it is worthwhile to seriously consider whether it is worthwhile to decide on this procedure or not.
Now you know how to become a donor of eggs, what you need for this. We also considered the consequences of the procedure. The decision is yours.