How to do it yourself
Sometimes there are situations where for the successful treatment of a child the doctor prescribes intramuscular administration of certain medications. For help, you can contact a nurse or friends. However, it is better if you yourself master these skills and will know how to properly inject a child. After all, it is not always possible to invite a doctor, and it is necessary to make an injection.
In order to deliver a shot to the child, the following items will be required:
- cotton wool or a small piece of bandage;
- a disposable syringe of the necessary capacity, by the way, special syringes are sold in pharmacies for children, which differ by a thinner needle;
- injectable drug corresponding to the prescribed dosage. To avoid unpleasant situations, be sure to check the expiration date;
- medical alcohol, vodka or alcohol wipes for injection.
Preparation for intramuscular administration of drugs
In order to give an injection to a child, you need to follow some simple, but at the same time important rules:
- Wash hands with disinfectant or soap or rub them with alcohol.
- Injection should be done in the gluteus maximus muscle. To get to the right place, the buttock must be visually divided into four equal parts and put a shot in the upper outer corner.
- It is the most difficult to make injections for small children, so during the procedure you must be calm and confident.
- In the event that the necessary preparation is in a liquid state, it is necessary to make a notch in the place of the ampoule's break, which is sold with the solution, and then - to open it. After that, unscrew the syringe, connect it to the needle and fill with the drug.
- If the drug is dry, then it is diluted with a special solution recommended by the doctor.
- The syringe needs to be placed with a needle upwards and a tap on it with a finger, so that all the bubbles rise to the very top. After this, it is necessary to press the syringe onto the piston, squeezing all the air out. When properly executed, a drop should be formed at the tip of the needle, which should be removed with alcohol wool.
Before you give a shot to your baby, you should massage the buttocks with gentle, slow movements, while your hands should be warm. The place where the needle will be introduced must be treated with alcohol swab.
At this time one hand needs to gather a fold of the buttock into the fold, and the other - to keep the syringe. The needle should be entered with a sharp movement, while observing the angle equal to 90 °. In this case, place the thumb on the piston, and hold the syringe with the middle and index finger. The slower you enter the medicine, the better. Haste in this matter should not be. When the medicine is finished, press the place of contact between the needle and the body with a cotton wool and remove the syringe with a sharp movement. After that, you can massage the injection site a little.
It is difficult to put pricks in the ass children, because they are terribly afraid of them. Therefore, you do not need to take a medicine or sprinkle the syringe in front of your child - this will frighten him even more. Also, do not pretend that you yourself are nervous. If the child begins to break away and cry, do not scold him, on the contrary, try to somehow distract and reassure. And do not deceive the kid, telling him that it will not hurt. It is better to praise him for being so brave and able to endure this procedure.