How to teach to retell a child's text? Text Complexity
Very often, first-graders and their parents face the same problem - inability to retell the text quickly and efficiently. Sometimes adults do not have enough strength, patience or experience to teach their kids such a skill. Closing his eyes to the problems in the primary classes, parents discover that in the middle school their children do not even know how to work properly with the text. And so that in the future there are no problems with academic achievement, adults should think in advance about how to teach how to recount the child's text.
How useful is the retelling for a child
The paraphrase is an exposition of the text read in its own words. But do not reduce the development of this skill only to good study and to the fact that the entire school program is designed for retelling. Parents should understand that the ability to retell will bring a lot of advantages to the child, and here are the main ones:
- The development of memory and the ability to convey other people's thoughts at ease. At the same time, the process can be creative, which in the future will lead to the development of the ability to comment and analyze various situations.
- Destruction of the primitive reflex chain "read - retell the text" and replace it with a more complex one - "getting information - processing it - retelling".
- Increase vocabulary, as well as speech development.
- The ability to associate the facts, situations and associate them with their possible actions.
- A brief retelling makes it possible to make a summary of the text, and also teaches you how to describe the main and most useful information.
Possible difficulties and problems
Often children have problems with retelling. Experts identify several reasons: difficulties in understanding the text heard, as well as problems of speech development. If in the second case it is necessary to direct efforts to the development of the speech apparatus not by means of retelling, in the first case one should think about how to teach the child's text to be retold.
Correct text selection for retelling
To overcome all the difficulties as quickly as possible, you need to find the right text.
Main selection criteria:
- narration should be short (children can not concentrate their attention on one kind of activity for too long);
- the baby should have an interest in the plot (a boring description of nature is unlikely to be of interest to the child);
- in the chosen text there should not be too many heroes, moreover, each of them should have some bright distinctive feature.
Work on the text
Working with the child over retelling, you need to read the text expressively. We need to discuss everything with the baby, ask what is unclear to him, and explain the unfamiliar words. Let the child think, why the text has such a name, and what he liked most. In conclusion, the kid himself must try to retell the text.
At the very beginning of the training, you can add work with the plot pictures. They will encourage the child to compose a plan of presentation and will help to retell the text consistently.
The pictures are arranged in random order after reading the text. The child himself must decide on the course of events and arrange the cards with the images in the correct order. Next, the baby will be much easier to retell the heard, starting from the pictures.
The basic plan for preparing the child for retelling
To properly teach the child a retelling, you can recommend a few simple rules:
- After reading the text, you need to choose the most important thing.
- Then you need to return to the beginning of the text and read a small part of it.
- Reading each of the parts, you should ask your child questions about what was stated, and what, in his opinion, was the most interesting.
- First, let him answer with one sentence. For young children, such a task is not easy, parents will need help.
- At the answer the child should not answer verbatim.
- Now we need to move on to another equally important stage - drawing up a plan. To each of the parts you need to come up with a small headline.
- With the text you can work in a game form. You can try to retell each sentence you read in your own words.
- Following such an algorithm, it is not difficult to understand how to teach a child to recite the text. After all of the above, it remains to retell the text, following the previously drawn up plan.
- You need to be patient, and at the end of the work done, be sure to praise your baby.
How to teach to retell a child of younger age
Teaching methods for children are almost identical at any age. The difference lies in the realization of each of them.
Not every parent knows how to teach a child to retell the text. 1 class often uses such a technique as "retelling in the name of the protagonist." Having expounded the history of the elementary school students, it is necessary to invite them to introduce themselves to the place of the main character and tell what happened to him. Older pupils can complicate the task: let them tell the story on behalf of several characters and give an assessment of their actions.
Parents who do not know how to teach a child to retell the text for 5 years can refer to the "retelling in the faces" method. Little readers who like to play with dolls can make a scene where the main characters are favorite toys.
How to teach to retell a middle-aged child
Getting to school, children should learn to subordinate all their actions to a certain order. And here the child comes to the aid of the ability to make plans. This, in combination, is an excellent technique that will tell how to teach an eight-year-old child to retell the texts, it is called "retelling according to plan." The more the student grows older, the shorter the plan should be. Thus, the child will quickly learn how to work with basic circuits and memorize minor details.
It is useful for middle school students to work with readers' diaries. There, students can make notes about the books read: designate storylines, prescribe the names of all the main characters. Such a diary can become an indispensable assistant in teaching, and a brief retelling will be given much easier. For young children, such a diary can be written orally, periodically returning them to the text read and asking suggestive questions.
Ability to retell is a necessary skill that favorably affects the development of memory, speech and thinking. It should be remembered that retelling is training not the memory of the child, but the understanding of the information presented. Thinking over how to teach you how to recite the text of a child, you do not need to require mechanical memorization. If the kid understands everything, then to tell the text in his own words for him will not be difficult.