Fungus in cats: symptoms and treatment
Fungus in cats may appear and regardless of communication with the outside world, the animal can be infected through food or when you have open wounds on the body. Often in Pets with lowered immunity, as not even suspect their owners. The cat may have bowel problems, urinary tract and kidneys, respiratory tract. Infection can be a cause of such diseases, and to accompany them. Consider the concept of "fungus in cats", the symptoms and treatment you will also find in the article.
The symptoms of fungal
Signs of fungal infection in cats can manifest itself in different ways, the symptoms can be both obvious and is confirmed by tests. Until will be exactly diagnosed to an animal, limit his contact with other Pets.
If there is a fungus in cats, symptoms may include the following:
- brushing the affected area longer than usual
- fungus in ears in cats is accompanied by a rapid winding of the head, the ears are usually pinned
- passive state
- refusal of food
The same symptoms can have other disease, so leave them unattended is not worth it, then visit the vet.
Skin fungus in cats is a common concept of infection, some symptoms can easily be confused with another disease, so seek help to the veterinarian.
The pet will take blood, urine, feces, carry out a complete diagnosis and prescribe treatment, depending on the severity of the fungal infection.
To be infected by the fungus may completely healthy cat, do not leave the house. However, there is a certain risk, which includes:
- pregnant and nursing cats
- animal recently had diseases of various organs
- cats, periodically living outside the apartment
- Pets who regularly consume raw food
- animals with weakened immune systems
- purebred cats.
The types of fungal infections
Consider the most common forms of fungus:
- Histoplasmosis is a fungus that is transmitted through the air, i.e. by inhalation. The infection affects the respiratory tract, the lungs, and from there through the blood vessels the fungus spreads throughout the body and affects the intestines, spleen and liver. The signs of damage can include: loss of appetite and sudden weight loss, lethargy, coughing, diarrhea, intestinal bleeding. The disease should be treated early, otherwise antifungals have to use a very long time. Also during disease cat needs to drink more pure water, because in case of refusal of feeding can occur from dehydration, which will exacerbate the situation.
- Cryptococcosis – a fungal infection that is picked up by the cats by inhaling spores contaminated air. This type of fungus was discovered in the litter of birds, as well as in the soil. It affects the nasal cavity, scalp, eyes. The disease is easily distinguished among other signs: bleeding from the nose, the presence of swelling in the nose, the formation of seals in the nasal cavity, the presence of nodules under the skin filled with a watery or purulent fluid, frequent sneezing. In the case of fungal attack the Central nervous system in cats occur seizures, partial paralysis, blindness. If the disease has taken a severe form or the owner delayed the time of treatment, the cat can be performed surgery to remove the seals from the nasal cavity and subcutaneous nodules. Along with this, we assigned antifungal therapy.
- Rhinosporidiosis fungus in cats treatment and symptoms which are similar to the cryptococcosis, but wrapping the cat a little easier. Affects the skin and nasal passages through education ulcerous nodules that are growing constantly. Removed only surgically, the cat receives antifungal therapy.
- Ear fungus – the most famous infection, often in medolechenie passes into the chronic stage. Ear fungus in cats is difficult to confuse with any other, the behavior of the animal you will realize that it was bothering him. Cat and then pulls a paw to scratch his ear, while doing it with caution, because experiencing pain due to the formation of crusts and subcutaneous blisters filled with pus. Also features are the winding head and tilts it to the side. Ears may stand out plenty of sulfur, it is necessary to carefully remove, not penetrating deep into the ear canal. Want to see pet doctor, in addition to symptomatic therapy, he is likely to prescribe immunomodulating drugs. Unfortunately, the fungus can enter into the middle ear, which can lead to brain inflammation and death.
- Mycetoma – a disease affecting the subcutaneous tissue and the skin, in severe cases affects the bones of the animal. The fungus looks like pellets or grains, spread along the body of the animal. Basically, these granules are located at the extremities of the legs, and can grow to be a new education.
- Candidiasis is a fungus, which affects oral mucosa, skin. Is a white patches or lesions covered with white scales. Occurs when long-term treatment of cats with antibiotics, infectious diseases of the intestines, lungs, bladder.
- Mycosis – a fungal infection that is most exposed to cats with weakened immune systems. Pathogenic microorganisms are in the air, the water, settle on the grass, and clothes of the owner. The symptoms are redness of the skin, spots are formed on the abdomen, genitals, ears. The cat begins to actively falling out hair, dandruff appears.
The foregoing description can be recognized fungus in cats pictures an infected animal will help to identify the disease at least approximately.
So you've found the fungus in the cat than to treat? Therapy is needed immediately. Doing it yourself is not recommended, take the animal to the nearest veterinary clinic. The doctor will examine your cat, take a swab of the affected area of the body. It so happens that the result of the analysis have to wait a few days. In this case, assigned symptomatic treatment are given instructions on caring for a pet.
Sometimes the treatment is quite difficult, the cat will need to bring to the IVS and injections.
Varieties of antifungal drugs
Each species of fungus is treated with a certain drug adherence and dosage. Consider the means used to treat fungus:
- "Ketoconazole" is an antimicrobial agent in tablet form, is prescribed for the treatment of cryptococcosis.
- "Amphotericin" – means the group of antibiotics, produced in the form of ointments and powder for preparation of solution. It is used to treat candidiasis, cryptococcosis, histoplasmosis.
- "Clotrimazole" – antifungal ointment for local use, applied to the affected areas of the animal's body. Used as a therapy for candidiasis.
- "Potassium iodide" – acts as an antiseptic and antifungal agent. Sold in the form of powder for preparation of solution.
- "Amoxicillin" is an antibiotic, used in cases of lesions of the internal organs: kidneys, liver, lungs.
In the treatment at home ensure that the cat is not brushed and did not lick the ointment on the affected areas.
Because man is accustomed to experience traditional treatments in the period of various infectious and fungal diseases, and the animals he is trying to do the same.
By studying reviews, you can find recipes using decoctions of herbs, hydrogen peroxide, ointments based on natural components. Perhaps some of the recipes worked well, but most likely, it happened at the initial stage of infection of cats by the fungus or the host, only managed to dull the symptoms of the disease.
Fungus treatment without referral to a specialist
In addition to folk treatments, people find information or just go to the nearest pharmacy for veterinary medication, buying it on the advice of a pharmacist. Don't want to do that, you run a situation with fungus your pet by appointing him the wrong drugs, in the future it will lead to death.
Taking care of the cat during illness
During the treatment allowed to treat her berth with antifungal drugs. Do not allow the animal to be with children, it is not recommended to take the night with him in bed. Though in many sources and refers to the fact that the infection of Pets is not transmitted to humans, still need to be careful. But don't forget to strongly encourage your pet, talk to him, let us understand that he still love and care about him.
Prevention of fungal infections in cats
In order to protect your pet from fungal infections, you need to follow the simple rules of care. As often as possible change the water in the bowl, do not leave food outdoors, this will prevent the germs coming through the Windows in the apartment, to settle on the food.
Many owners prefer to bathe cats, as well as a long time combing with a special brush. Cats can and do love water, but be careful using shampoo when bathing an animal, you run the risk of leaving him without a natural protective layer, the barrier and lubrication, constantly present on the skin. The same applies to frequent brushing, in the process you can injure the surface of the skin of the cat. Even invisible damage to the skin can lead to accidental contamination.
Ear fungus in cats can be prevented by infrequent cleaning of the ears. The more and more you trying to save pet from earwax by using cotton swabs, the more removed a protective layer which does not allow harmful microorganisms to penetrate into the ear canals.
Check with the vet about the production of vaccinations against re-infection by the fungus. You may have to make several injections at regular intervals.
Cat food during the illness
Special attention should be paid to the diet of cats. It is not recommended to feed the animal the following products:
- meat and fish, not subjected to heat treatment
- raw eggs
- flour products
- smoked, fried, spicy, salty food
- food from the table of people.
Buy in the pet shop special food with added vitamins and minerals. Feeds can be purchased both dry and canned food.
Personal hygiene when caring for sick animals
Remember that when caring for a sick pet need to observe personal hygiene, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after each contact, and it is better to use disposable gloves, you can find them in any pharmacy.