Fungus in the cat: symptoms and treatment
Fungus in a cat can appear and regardless of communication with the outside world, an animal can get it through food or if there are open wounds on the body. Often in pets reduced immunity, which their owners do not even suspect. A cat may have problems with the intestines, urinary tract and kidneys, respiratory tract. Infection can become both the cause of such diseases, and accompany them. Consider the concept of "fungus in cats", the symptoms and treatment you will also find in the article.
Symptoms of fungus
Symptoms of fungal infection in cats can manifest themselves in different ways, the symptoms can be either obvious or confirmed only by taking an analysis. Before the exact diagnosis is made to the animal, limit its communication with other domestic pets.
If there is a fungus in a cat, the symptoms can be the following:
- combing the affected area for longer than usual;
- the fungus in the ears of cats is accompanied by active head shaking, while the ears, as a rule, are pressed;
- passive state;
- refusal of food;
The same symptoms can have another disease, so leave them without attention is not worth it, visit the vet.
Fungal skin in cats is a common concept of infection, some symptoms are easily confused with another disease, so seek help from a veterinarian.
The pet will take blood tests, urine, feces, will conduct a full diagnosis and prescribe treatment, depending on the severity of the fungal infection.
Infect the fungus and can absolutely healthy cat, not leaving the house. However, there is a certain risk group, which includes:
- pregnant and lactating cats;
- an animal that has recently undergone diseases of various organs;
- cats that periodically live outside the apartment;
- pets who regularly eat raw food;
- animals with weakened immunity;
- pedigreed cats.
Types of fungal infections
Consider the most common forms of fungus:
- Histoplasmosis is a fungus that is transmitted through the air, i.e. by inhalation. Infection affects the respiratory tract, lungs, from there through the blood vessels the fungus spreads throughout the body and affects the intestine, spleen and liver. Signs of damage can serve: loss of appetite and a sharp decrease in body weight, apathy, cough, diarrhea, intestinal bleeding. The disease must be treated at an early stage, otherwise the antifungal drugs will have to be applied for a very long time. Also, during the period of the disease, the cat should be given to drink as much pure water as possible, because with refusal of feeding, dehydration may occur, which will aggravate the situation.
- Cryptococcosis is a fungal infection that is caught by cats by inhalation of spores of contaminated air. This species of fungus was found in the feces of birds, as well as in the soil. It affects the nasal cavity, scalp, eyes. The disease is easily distinguished among others due to: nosebleeds, the presence of swelling in the nose, the formation of seals in the nasal cavity, the presence of nodules under the skin, filled with watery or purulent fluid, frequent sneezing. In the case of fungal infection of the central nervous system, cramps, partial paralysis, and blindness are observed in the cat. If the disease has become severe or the host has delayed the treatment, the cat can be operated to remove seals from the nasal cavity and subcutaneous nodules. Together with this, antifungal therapy is prescribed in parallel.
- Rhinosporidiosis is a fungus in cats, the treatment and symptomatology of which are similar to cryptococcosis, but carried by cats is slightly easier. The skin and nasal passages are affected by the formation of ulcerative nodules, which are continuously growing. Removed only surgically, in the future the cat receives antifungal therapy.
- Ear is the most famous infection, often with incomplete treatment passes into a chronic stage. The auricle of the cat is difficult to confuse with any other, on the behavior of the animal you will understand that it bothers him. The cat continually pulls the paw to scratch it in the ear, doing so with caution, since it experiences painful sensations due to the formation of crusts and subcutaneous blisters filled with pus. Also, the signs are the head and its tilting to the side. From the ears can be abundantly allocated sulfur, it must be carefully removed, not penetrating deep into the ear canal. Immediately show the pet to the doctor, except for symptomatic therapy, he will most likely prescribe immunomodulating medications. Unfortunately, the fungus can penetrate into the middle ear, and this is fraught with brain inflammation and death.
- Miketoma - a disease affecting the subcutaneous tissues and the skin itself, in severe cases affects the bones of the animal. Fungus looks like granules or grains spreading through the body of an animal. Basically, such granules are on the limbs of the paws, new formations can expand and appear.
- Candidiasis is a fungus that affects the oral mucosa, skin. It is a white coating or wounds covered with white scales. It occurs with prolonged treatment of a cat with antibiotics, infectious diseases of the intestine, lungs, bladder.
- Mycosis is a fungal infection that is most affected by cats with weakened immunity. Pathogenic microorganisms are in the air, water, settle on the grass, as well as the clothes of the host. Symptoms are manifested in the form of reddening of the skin, spots are formed on the abdomen, genitals, ears. The cat begins to drop hair actively, dandruff appears.
By the above description, you can recognize the fungus in cats, the photos of the infected animal will help to determine the disease, at least approximately.
Treatment of fungus
So, did you find the fungus in a cat, what to treat? Therapy should be done immediately. Doing this yourself is not recommended, take the animal to the nearest veterinary clinic. The doctor will examine the cat, take a smear of the affected area of the body. It happens that the result of the analysis has to wait several days. In this case, symptomatic treatment is prescribed, instructions for caring for the pet are given.
Sometimes the treatment is quite difficult, the cat will need to be brought on droppers and injections.
Varieties of antifungal drugs
Each type of fungus is treated with a certain drug in compliance with the regime and dosage. Consider the means used to treat the fungus:
- "Ketoconazole" - an antimicrobial drug in the form of tablets, is prescribed for the treatment of cryptococcosis.
- "Amphotericin" - a tool of a group of antibiotics, is available in the form of an ointment and powder for the preparation of a solution. It is used for treatment of candidiasis, cryptococcosis, histoplasmosis.
- "Clotrimazole" is an antifungal ointment for topical use, applied to the affected parts of the animal's body. It is used as a therapy for candidiasis.
- "Potassium iodide" - acts as an antiseptic and antifungal agent. Sold in the form of powder for the preparation of solution.
- "Amoxicillin" - an antibiotic, is used in cases of involvement of internal organs: kidneys, liver, lungs.
When treating at home, make sure that the cat does not comb or lick the ointment on the lesions.
Traditional methods of treatment
Since a person is accustomed to experiencing the traditional methods of treatment during various infectious and fungal diseases, he also tries to do the same with the animal.
Studying the reviews, you can find recipes using herbal decoctions, hydrogen peroxide, ointments based on natural ingredients. Perhaps, some of the recipes worked well, but most likely, it happened at the initial stage of infection of the cat with a fungus, or the owner managed only to muffle the symptoms of the disease.
Treatment of fungus without referring to a specialist
In addition to traditional methods of treatment, people independently find information or simply go to the nearest veterinary pharmacy for a medicine, buying it on the advice of a pharmacist. Do not do this, you will even run the situation with the fungus in the pet, assigning him the wrong drugs, in the future it will lead to a fatal outcome.
Caring for a cat in the period of illness
During the treatment it is allowed to treat her bed with antifungal drugs. Do not allow the animal to be with children, it is not recommended to take it with him to bed at night. Although in many sources it is said that the infections of pets are not transmitted to a person, one should still be cautious. But do not forget to encourage your pet in every way, talk to him, let's understand that everyone loves him and cares about him.
Prevention of fungal infections in cats
In order to protect your pet from fungal infections, you need to follow simple rules of caring for it. As often as possible, change the water in a bowl, do not leave food outdoors, it will not allow germs penetrating through the windows in the apartment to settle on food.
Many owners prefer to bathe cats, and also to comb it for a long time with a special brush. Cats can also love water themselves, but be careful when applying shampoo when bathing an animal, you risk leaving it without a natural protective layer, the barrier and lubricant permanently present on the skin. The same applies to frequent combing, in the process you can injure the surface of the skin of the cat. Even subtle skin damage can lead to accidental infection.
The ear fungus in cats can be prevented by infrequent cleaning of the ears. The more often and more intensively you try to save the pet from earwax with the help of cotton swabs, the more you remove the protective layer, which prevents harmful microorganisms from penetrating into the ear canals.
Please check with your veterinarian about vaccination against repeated fungal infection. It may be necessary to make several injections with a certain periodicity.
Cat food during illness
Particular attention should be given to the diet of the cat. Strictly it is not recommended to feed the animal with the following products:
- meat and fish, not subjected to heat treatment;
- raw eggs;
- flour products;
- smoked, fried, spicy, salty foods;
- food from the table of people.
Acquire in the store for animals special food with the addition of vitamins and trace elements. You can buy food both dry and canned.
Personal hygiene in the care of a sick animal
It should be remembered that when caring for a sick pet you need to observe personal hygiene, wash your hands thoroughly with soap after each contact, and use disposable gloves, they can be found in any pharmacy.