Schedule BT of the pregnant woman
Most women have heard about such a thing as "basal temperature" more than once, but few understand what this medical term means, for which it is necessary to monitor this indicator and how to decipher the BT schedule of a pregnant and nonpregnant woman. We'll help you figure it out.
Basal temperature - what is it?
The basal body temperature is the minimum that is observed after prolonged sleep and rest. Different processes in the body of a woman increase the parameters of BT, it is thanks to this feature that you can determine the changes in the hormonal background during the menstrual cycle. Deviations in indicators are a signal about certain violations in the work of systems and organs. For example, pregnant women are often monitored. Graphs of low temperature BT in phase 2 may indicate a threat of miscarriage. And such indicators in a non-pregnant woman indicate infertility.
What is the basal temperature for?
Analyzing the changes in BT, determine the following pathologies:
- The presence or absence of ovulation.
- Fertile days. The information obtained can be used both for pregnancy planning and for the calendar method of contraception.
- Violations of the cycle. In case of a deviation from the norm, the doctor may suspect some diseases of the reproductive system, for example, the presence of an inflammatory process or the lack of a luteinizing phase, as well as hormonal disorders.
- Using the indicators of BT, you can learn about pregnancy in the early term. The BT schedule of the pregnant woman has its own peculiarities, which are described in more detail below.
How to measure BT?
How to measure the basal body temperature? For this it is necessary to stock up with a separate thermometer, preferably mercury. Measure BT in the mouth, vaginally and rectally. The latter method is considered the most preferable, since the results of such measurements are most reliable in connection with the minimal influence of external factors. In the axillary basin, BT is not measured. You only need to select a method, without changing it during the entire diagnostic period, which is at least 3 months. Measurements should be made in the morning, after at least a 6-hour sleep, without getting out of bed, preferably at the same time.
Observe changes in the basal temperature of a woman with a menstrual disorder, pregnant women. The graphs of BT for planning girls will become indispensable helpers in determining favorable days for conception of a child.
To start fixing the indicators of BT it is necessary on the first day of menstruation (the beginning of the cycle) in order to obtain complete information for the monthly period. Women pregnant BT schedules should be maintained regularly throughout the first trimester.
The results are recommended to be recorded immediately after the measurement, since the error can affect the diagnosis and decoding of the indicators. In addition to indicating the temperature itself, it is necessary to designate the day of the cycle, the number of menstruation days. It is extremely important to note additional factors that may affect the results of measurements: taking medications, lack of sleep, diseases, stress, physical activity, sexual intercourse on the eve of measurements, eating spicy foods and alcohol. Schedule BT pregnant, except for the above factors, should reflect the state of health and sensation of a woman.
Keeping records of BT
You can write data to a notebook, but it's more convenient to use online applications or computer programs to record and analyze basal body temperature measurements. Such a virtual assistant will decipher the BT schedule of a pregnant and nonpregnant woman: determine ovulation, calculate the average temperature of each phase of the cycle, allocate deviations from the norm, give recommendations. But do not forget that the obtained software decoding is only a preliminary generalized data, which can not be a diagnosis and a guide to self-treatment. Recorded results should be shown to the treating doctor-gynecologist. Particular attention should be paid to pregnant women. Graphs of low temperature BT should be shown to the treating doctor.
Change of BT during the menstrual cycle
In order to understand the principle on which the method of diagnosis based on basal temperature is based, it is important to understand what processes in the body of a woman are associated with changes in temperature indicators.
The monthly menstrual cycle in medicine is divided into 4 phases:
- Menstrual - begins with the first day of menstrual flow. This day is also considered the first day of the woman's monthly cycle. During this period, the body rejects the endometrium and is prepared at the hormonal level to develop a new egg. This phase lasts up to 7 days. BT in this period in the norm should correspond to 36.2-36.6 degrees.
- Then the follicular phase follows. During this period, the body rapidly produces follicle-stimulating hormone, which promotes the development of follicles, and subsequently - the ovum. This period of the menstrual cycle lasts up to two weeks. Basal temperature in the follicular phase increases slightly and is normally 36.7-36.9 degrees. For a day or two, a pre-expected temperature drop occurs to 36.3 degrees.
- The ovulatory phase lasts about 3 days. This period is characterized by a decrease in the production of follicle-stimulating and an increase in the level of luteinizing hormone. Thanks to the latter, the release of the egg from the follicle occurs - this process is called ovulation. This is the most favorable time for the conception of the baby. Basal temperature during the period of ovulation rises and reaches values up to 37.7-37.9 degrees.
- The last phase, luteinizing, is characterized by intensive production of progesterone to maintain pregnancy in the event of its onset. The basal temperature in this phase remains above 37 degrees. In the absence of fertilization of the ovum, the temperature values drop sharply 1-2 days before the expected menstruation and are 36.6-36.8 degrees. After this, a new cycle begins.
The BT schedule of a pregnant woman (after conception) should normally look like a monotonous straight line with BT values above 37 ° C.
Norms of indicators of WT
With basal temperature values that correspond to the established norms, at the end of the monthly cycle the curve of the obtained graph will have a clearly expressed two-phase separation. So, in the first half of the cycle the line will pass below the 36.8 level. A few days before ovulation, there will be a pre-ovulation drop in temperature, followed by a sharp increase in indices no less than 0.4 degrees. The jump is divided by a red line - this is the day of ovulation. After that, the fever lasts up to 14 days, then the premenstrual fall of the indicator is fixed.
BT during pregnancy: norm
If within 16 days after ovulation the thermometer shows more than 37 degrees, this may indicate pregnancy. In case of conception, the egg is attached to the uterine wall. Progesterone and the "pregnancy hormone" - hCG - begin to be produced. When women are pregnant, the BT charts show a temperature of 37-37.6 ° C. In 25% of cases, early indicators of the development of the embryo show an increase in indices up to 38 ° C. In addition, with normal progesterone production, there will be no premenstrual decline in basal temperature.
With the confirmation of conception, doctors recommend continuing the maintenance of the schedule throughout the first trimester. It is especially important to keep a schedule of BT of a pregnant woman who had a miscarriage or fading of an embryo at an early age in the anamnesis. At later dates, such a procedure is not informative because of a change in the hormonal background.
On the sites for future mothers, forums, you can view the so-called "pregnant" BT schedules. A photo showing normal indices during the menstrual cycle, accompanied by conception, is presented below.
Implant Westernization - what is it?
Often there are "pregnant" BT charts with implantation of the west - a sharp drop in temperature approximately 5-7 days after ovulation. The next day, the figures return to a level above 37 degrees. This temperature change is observed at a time when a fertilized egg is attached to the uterine wall. The fixation of implantation on the chart is considered a sign of pregnancy. In addition to a sharp temperature jump, sometimes minor spotting from the genital organs and pulling sensations in the lower abdomen can be observed. But if simultaneously with such symptoms a woman watches "pregnant" graphics with low BT, this is a serious reason for urgent medical treatment - a threat of miscarriage is possible.
BT during pregnancy: abnormalities
Deviations from established norms of basal temperature indicators often indicate various violations, sometimes about the dangerous conditions of a pregnant woman and a baby. If you comply with all the measurement rules, and the thermometer records indicators below 37 or above 38 degrees, an urgent consultation of a specialist is needed. It is necessary to pay attention to the state of health in the following situations:
- In previous cycles, basal temperature in post-oovulatory period was 37-37.3 о C, and during pregnancy it jumped to 38. Such a change in indices may indicate the presence of various kinds of inflammatory processes in the body. It is required to undergo a series of tests and diagnostic procedures to establish the correct diagnosis. But if, prior to pregnancy, the temperature in the second half of the cycle was close to 38, there is no cause for concern, in which case high rates of BT are individual characteristics of the body.
- "Pregnant" BT schedules with low temperature in phase 2 require urgent medical attention. Indicators below 37 degrees indicate a lack of progesterone - it is extremely dangerous during pregnancy. Decreased hormone levels can threaten spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). With the timely diagnosis of the pathological condition, it is possible to normalize the level of progesterone by using synthetic drugs. In this case, the probability of maintaining and further normal development of pregnancy is great. Another cause of lowering the temperature may become a frozen pregnancy. Unfortunately, in this case it is not possible to save the fruit. Such a diagnosis must be confirmed with the help of ultrasound diagnosis. In case of confirmation of pregnancy fading, the doctor will prescribe curettage of the uterine cavity according to medical indices.
The norm and deviations of the basal temperature curve
The way in which BT parameters should normally be in a certain period of the menstrual cycle was considered above. Now let's figure out what kinds of graphs are available that indicate a deviation in the state of health:
- If in the second half of the cycle the basal temperature rises only slightly (to 0.3 degrees) and such curves are fixed for several consecutive cycles, the doctor may suspect a violation of the hormonal background: a possible lack of progesterone. Such deviations lead to the absence of ovulation, and consequently, to infertility.
- In most cases, women with a basal temperature rise only a few days before menstruation, and the duration of the second half of the cycle is 10 days or less, face problems when carrying the baby. In addition, there is no decrease in temperature before the onset of menstruation. In such a situation, doctors talk about the insufficiency of the second phase of the cycle, the threat of pregnancy disruption. Timely detection of pathology is corrected by medication.
- The curve of the graph, which has no pronounced decrease and increase in temperature, and according to the results of the indicators it is not possible to divide the cycle into separate phases, indicates the absence of ovulation. They call such a cycle "anovulatory". Within a year, a woman can have 1 cycle without ovulation. But if such a schedule is fixed for three months or more, you need to contact a gynecologist for an examination. With such indicators of basal temperature, pregnancy is impossible. An example of such a graph is clearly shown below.
- A zigzag, chaotic curve of the basal temperature chart indicates a lack of estrogen in the woman's body. This leads to the lack of development of the follicles, and subsequently the ovum. And as a result - anovulation and infertility. Be sure to consult a specialist for fixing such types of graphs for more than three consecutive cycles.
Measurement of basal temperature is an effective and affordable home method for diagnosing various pathologies in a woman's body. The schedule of BT pregnant is extremely important - timely identification of the problem can save the life of the future baby and mother. But do not self-medicate - if the temperature deviates from the norm, consult a gynecologist.