Strep throat during pregnancy: symptoms, treatments, and consequences
During pregnancy, the slightest disease can lead to troubles and various complications. This is because treatment medicines women in this period is contraindicated because medication can harm the baby.
Pharyngitis is no exception. This is quite a serious disease that causes inflammation of the mucous membrane of the pharynx. The disease almost always requires treatment with medicines, in particular antibiotics. Therefore, women raises the question of how to treat pharyngitis during pregnancy without causing harm to future baby.
The causes of the disease
Pharyngitis is the inflammation that occurs on the back wall of the larynx. Almost always it is accompanied by pain when swallowing, a sore and runny nose, and possibly fever. The causes of the disease can be the following:
- Drinking very cold drinks.
- Not until the end of treated SARS.
- Concomitant diseases of ENT-organs.
- Long stay near an air conditioner or fan.
- Smoking during pregnancy (active or passive).
Also strep can trigger the flu viruses, herpes, rhinovirus. With the rapid and active growth of fungi or infections, pharyngitis can go into acute or chronic.
Signs of the disease
The symptoms of pharyngitis occur quite quickly. The disease can be acute or chronic. During pregnancy the acute form occurs due to adverse effects on the mucous membrane of the larynx. Exacerbation of chronic pharyngitis during pregnancy is due to prolonged stimulation of the laryngeal mucous membranes. Also it can develop because of improper treatment of the disease in an acute form. Its characteristics are the following:
- Throat feels dry and uncomfortable.
- The evening may receive the voice crackling.
- The patient feels sore.
- There is swelling or redness of the posterior wall of the larynx.
- There is an increase of lymph nodes.
If the pharyngitis during pregnancy is the chronic stage, it is possible the appearance of dry cough without fever.
If a woman does not cure the disease, the sore throat during pregnancy can lead to very serious consequences. This is because the source of the disease – a virus or infection that threaten as in-utero development of the baby and the pregnant woman. In the first trimester, the immune system of women is very weak. So the body is severely tested when the infection occurs with a virus or infection. Pharyngitis during this period could cause a risk of miscarriage. In the second and third trimester may experience complications such as fetal hypoxia and risk of preterm birth.
Very the placenta protects the fetus so serious developmental disabilities should not be afraid. However, during disease in the mother's body appear toxins that can disrupt the internal organs of the baby. Often this occurs because of a missing or incorrectly matched treatment. The increased body temperature pregnant also may adversely affect the status of the fetus. Basically it affects the nervous system of the baby. To prevent the effects of strep throat during pregnancy, a woman needs time to recognize the disease, seek treatment and complete the course of treatment.
Infectious diseases usually, doctors prescribe a course of antibiotics. So many questions are concerned with the treatment of such diseases as pharyngitis during pregnancy. How to treat? This is because antibiotics can adversely affect the health of the mother and the unborn baby.
First, it should fully trust the doctor. Usually pharyngitis during pregnancy requires compliance with the following items:
- Bed rest and rest.
- Permanent ventilation of the room.
- You can't eat foods that can irritate the mucosa of the larynx (soft drinks, too hot or cold food, condiments and spices, alcohol).
- You need to drink a lot of warm fluids.
- Recommended for the neck to apply warm compresses.
- It is impossible to soar feet.
- You should gargle the saline solution.
- For concomitant treatment the use of lollipops or lozenges: "Prescribed", "Strepsils", "Sabedin". At the same time it is impossible to use "Falimint", "Septolete".
This treatment is very suitable to eliminate the symptoms of chronic pharyngitis, the first four points are simultaneously and its prevention.
Treatment with antibiotics
The above methods can be used to treat chronic pharyngitis during pregnancy. How to treat illness caused by bacterial infection? In this case, the treatment can only prescribe a doctor. It may be taking antiseptic and antibacterial drugs local action. In some cases, antibiotics in tablets or capsules (only in the case when the cause of pharyngitis was group a Streptococcus). Medications are prescribed only in the case of acute course of the disease. In addition, the doctor may recommend the treatment of pharyngitis folk remedies in adults.
Treatment at home
Popular recipes should be used only after consulting a doctor. Some home remedies are far from harmless, they can cause bleeding in pregnant women, which is threatened with abortion.
- Fresh potatoes for gargling.
- Potato and spruce vapor for inhalation.
- Propolis to lubricate the tonsils.
- Sage, chamomile, blackberries, raspberries for gargling or drinking inside (can be added in tea).
- Garlic and honey.
If a pregnant woman timely treatment for dangerous diseases such as pharyngitis, it can protect yourself and baby from serious consequences and complications. But in this situation it is better to prevent the disease than to treat it.
Prevention of pharyngitis is simple. If a pregnant will be adhered to, such diseases as pharyngitis, can be forgotten. The prevention measures include:
- Cleansing of the oral cavity from contamination.
- Avoiding large concentrations of people.
- The use of oxolinic ointment for lubrication of the nose.
- Periodic nasal wash with saline.
- Strict hand washing with antibacterial soap.
- Frequent airing of rooms.
- Daily regular walks in the fresh air (at least an hour).
It is better to prevent the disease than to treat it and think about possible complications.