Pharyngitis in pregnancy: symptoms, treatment methods and consequences
During pregnancy, the slightest disease can lead to trouble and various complications. This is due to the fact that treatment of medicines to women during this period is contraindicated, since drugs can harm a baby.
Pharyngitis is no exception. This is a fairly serious disease that causes inflammation of the pharyngeal mucosa. Virtually always ailment requires treatment with medications, in particular antibiotics. Therefore, women have a question about how to treat pharyngitis during pregnancy, without harming the future baby.
Causes of the disease
Pharyngitis is a process of inflammation that occurs on the back wall of the larynx. Almost always, it is accompanied by pain when swallowing, with perspiration and runny nose, and possibly a fever. The causes of the disease can be as follows:
- Drinking very cold drinks.
- Not fully treated with ARI.
- Concomitant diseases of ENT organs.
- A long time near the air conditioner or fan.
- Smoking during pregnancy (active or passive).
Also pharyngitis can provoke viruses of influenza, herpes, rhinovirus. With rapid and active multiplication of fungi or infection, pharyngitis can go on into an acute or chronic form.
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of pharyngitis manifest quickly enough. The disease can be acute or chronic. During pregnancy, the acute form appears due to adverse effects on the mucous membrane of the larynx. Exacerbation of chronic pharyngitis during pregnancy occurs due to prolonged irritation of the laryngeal mucous membranes. It can also develop due to incorrect treatment of the disease in acute form. Its signs are as follows:
- The throat feels dry and uncomfortable.
- By evening, you can have a voice hoarseness.
- The patient feels persecution.
- Appears edema or redness of the posterior wall of the larynx.
- There is an increase in lymph nodes.
- The temperature rises.
If pharyngitis during pregnancy has a chronic stage, then the appearance of a dry cough without fever.
If a woman does not treat the disease, then pharyngitis during pregnancy can lead to very serious consequences. This is due to the fact that the source of the disease is a virus or infection that threatens both the intrauterine development of the baby and the pregnant woman. In the first trimester, the woman's immune system is very weak. Therefore, the body undergoes a serious test when infection with a virus or infection occurs. Pharyngitis during this period can provoke a threat of miscarriage. In the second and third trimester, complications such as fetal hypoxia and the threat of premature birth may occur.
The placenta protects the fetus very reliably, so you should not be afraid of serious deviations in development. However, during the disease in the body of the mother there are toxins that can disrupt the work of the internal organs of the baby. Often this is due to a lack of or incorrectly selected treatment. An increase in the body temperature of a pregnant woman can also negatively affect the fetal condition. Basically, it affects the baby's nervous system. To prevent the effects of pharyngitis in pregnancy, a woman should recognize the disease in time, seek medical help and fully undergo a course of treatment.
With infectious diseases, doctors usually prescribe a course of antibiotics. Therefore, many questions are caused by therapy of such a disease as pharyngitis in pregnancy. How to treat? After all, antibiotics can adversely affect the health of mother and future baby.
First, you should fully trust the doctor. Usually, pharyngitis during pregnancy requires the following points:
- Bed rest and rest.
- Constant airing of the room.
- You can not eat foods that can irritate the laryngeal mucosa (carbonated drinks, too hot or cold food, seasonings and spices, alcohol).
- It is necessary to drink a lot of warm liquid.
- Recommend to apply warm compresses on the neck.
- You can not soar your feet.
- You should gargle with a saline solution.
- You can use lollipops or lozenges for concomitant treatment: Pharyngosept, Strepsils, Sebidin. At the same time, you can not use "Falimint" or "Sepptelet".
This treatment is very suitable for eliminating the symptoms of chronic pharyngitis, the first four points are also its prevention.
Treatment with antibiotics
The above methods can be used to treat chronic pharyngitis during pregnancy. How to treat an ailment caused by a bacterial infection? In this case, the treatment can be prescribed only by a doctor. This can be the reception of antiseptic and antibacterial drugs of local action. In some cases, antibiotics are prescribed in tablets or capsules (only if group A streptococcus is the cause of pharyngitis). Drugs are prescribed only in case of acute course of the disease. In addition, the doctor can recommend the treatment of pharyngitis with folk remedies in adults.
Folk recipes should be used only after consulting a doctor. Some home remedies are far from harmless, they can provoke bleeding in pregnant women, which threatens the termination of pregnancy.
- Fresh potatoes for gargling.
- Potato and spruce steam for inhalations.
- Propolis for lubricating the tonsils.
- Sage, chamomile, blackberry, raspberry rinse or ingestion (can be added to tea).
- Garlic and honey.
If a pregnant woman on time starts treatment for such a dangerous disease as pharyngitis, she will be able to protect herself and the baby from serious consequences and complications. But in this situation it is better to prevent the development of the disease than to treat it.
Prevention of pharyngitis is not complicated. If the pregnant woman will adhere to it, then such a disease as pharyngitis, you can forget. The measures of prevention include:
- Cleansing the oral cavity from contamination.
- Avoidance of large concentrations of people.
- Use oxolin ointment to lubricate the nose.
- Periodic washing of the nose with saline.
- Constant thorough washing of hands with antibacterial soap.
- Frequent airing of premises.
- Daily regular walks in the fresh air (at least an hour).
It is better to prevent the development of the disease than to treat it later and think about possible complications.