If the dog has constipation: what to do
Almost all of us have our own favorite pet, which we cherish and cherish. The state of their health we care about as much as their own. And sometimes even more so. After all, dogs are intelligent, but dumb animals, and they can not tell us about their ailments. One of the frequent troubles can be called constipation in dogs. What to do in such cases? How to help your faithful friend?
Causes of constipation
In normal condition, your dog must cope with the need 1-2 times a day. If you notice that this does not happen, then you should take a closer look at the animal. Terrible consequences usually do not bring constipation to the dog. What to do in such cases, you will explain to any veterinarian or experienced dog breeder with experience. But it would be nice to think about the causes of the phenomenon that has arisen. What triggered the violation of defecation? This can be facilitated by the following factors:
- Problems with food. Your favorite buns are a treat for you, but not for your pet at all. All these sweets, smoked products and other delicacies can easily cause constipation in dogs. What to do in this case? For the future just do not give them to her. To provoke this ailment can and quite useful product. For example, natural meat. This applies to cases where you prefer to feed the dog only to them. The food should be balanced. Therefore, it is better to take a closer look at the ready foods that take into account all your friend's needs.
- A large number of bones. Many of us believe that a dog just needs to gnaw bones. Meanwhile, the bones cause an intestinal obstruction. And the birds are dangerous.They are split into sharp fragments and can puncture internal organs. It is better to buy your pets from the bones of the veins.
- Lack of water. No other liquid treats (broths or milk) will replace water. Therefore, you must ensure that the dog has always been filled with fresh water.
- Binge eating. Of course, well-fed sides look very nice, but will there be a happy face for your pet? After all, systematic overfeeding leads not only to constipation, but also to obesity.
- Lack of mobility. This is especially true for retired dogs. They need to move, because this is the only way to increase intestinal tone.
- Foreign object in the stomach. If your dog does not want to sometimes borrow a cellophane bag with a forgotten forcemeat or a flap from a torn rubber ball, it can also lead to constipation. Here you can not do without a veterinarian.
Constipation in dogs: symptoms
How do you know if your dog is not okay? In fact, you will understand everything by its appearance, but there are other signs:
- Bloating. This is due to the accumulation of gases. Even at a distance you can hear the intra-uterine rumbling.
- Poor appetite. When your dog suffers from intestinal obstruction, he refuses to eat.
- Lethargy and weakness. Dog does not want to play, go for a walk. All this testifies to one thing - it does not help.
Constipation in dogs: how to treat?
As Exupery said, we are responsible for those who have been tamed. Therefore, if you see that something is wrong with your pet, it should be treated. It is not necessary to think that everything will pass by itself. Will not pass. And if it does, it will be an imaginary recovery, which then will still make itself felt.
So, you are faced with a problem - constipation in a dog. What to do?
- You can introduce a soap solution into the anus or a solution of glycerin. Oil helps also. Use a syringe for this. The liquid should not be more than 1-2 tablespoons.
- In the food during this period, it is necessary to add up to 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil, milk and prunes. Several berries should be crushed and poured into porridge. The amount of prunes depends on the weight of the animal.
- What to give a dog from constipation from medicines? The "Anusol" candles are good. Preparations of lactulose (for example, "Lactusan" or "Dufalac") soften the stool masses.
- Effective pain relieves the Novocaine blockade, the drugs "Baralgin" or "No-Shpa."
- If there are no contraindications, then your pet can be put an enema.
Laxative for animals
In general, there are several types of laxatives for dogs:
- You can use vegetable varieties (buckthorn bark).
- From the salt, magnesium or sodium sulfate is used.
- From synthetic, you can advise "Bisacodyl" or "Purgen".
- To oil are all types of oil: castor, petrolatum, sunflower and others.
Prevention of constipation in dogs
What to do, so that the once constipated constipation does not happen again, and your dog was merry and healthy?
- Watch the food of your pet. A very good remedy for preventing constipation is a pumpkin. For a small dog weighing up to 11 kg, enough will be 1 spoonful per day. But if the weight of your dog is more than 20 kg, then it will take 3 spoons.
- Walk your dogs more often. It should not just walk intelligently alongside you, but run, jump, then the constipation disappears without a trace.
- Pay attention to hygiene. Frayed wool, especially from the rear, must be cut from time to time, and the dog is constantly bathing.
Following these simple recommendations, you will raise a healthy and contented dog.