The dog's lap
Every dog owner, whether an amateur or a professional breeder, is faced with the fact that a four-legged friend from a puppy grows into an adult dog and enters the period of puberty. It is necessary to make a choice - whether to knit a pet or not to knit, whether it is necessary to breed or better to refuse the breeding of puppies. And if the decision is made in favor of mating, it is necessary to know when and how the dogs are mating.
A little physiology
Sexual maturity in dogs occurs approximately in 8-12 months. In males and bitches, this manifests itself in different ways: there are changes in the behavior and habits of the dog, characteristic of her sex. The growth of the dog resembles a puberty period in adolescents.
By the way, bitches "mature" a little earlier than males, and small breeds of dogs are ready for reproduction at an earlier age than large dogs.
However, the first signs of puberty in males and females are not a reason for immediate mating. It is important to remember that dog mating is a serious step to which you must approach with all responsibility and most importantly - on time!
The pubertal period in the male
The following signs attest to the onset of puberty in the male:
- The young dog shows increased attention to his sexual organs: licks them and paws them with his paw. Watching him at this moment, you can draw parallels with youthful masturbation.
- Most males begin to show an unusual sexual interest in everything, including the owner or other pets. The hormones of the dog's teen go off scale, he sticks to the cat living in the house, to his toy, to the mistress's coat, to the couch, to the owner's foot - in a word, demonstrates his sexual desire with all his might. By the way, this should be stopped, as this behavior can eventually develop into a bad habit that will drive the owner into the paint every time his four-legged friend "gets attached" to a stranger in the park or at a bus stop.
- Absolutely all males during puberty begin to mark the territory.
- Along with the behavior, the dog's psyche also changes: stubbornness, independence, disobedience and some aggression towards other dogs. This "doggy" of males is nothing more than the desire to determine their place in the social structure. As a rule, it passes after the process of puberty comes to an end (about 14-17 months).
You should know that puberty and fertility are not the same thing. At the initial stage of the canine pubertal period, the concentration of spermatozoa in the dog's sperm is extremely low. Complete sperm maturation occurs in 12-14 months in small breeds, and at 20-24 months in large dogs.
The beginning of the process of puberty in females is manifested as follows:
- At the bitch begins estrus. Usually it occurs in 6-8 months in small dogs, and at 18-22 months in large breed dogs. The first heat is always short and shorter than all subsequent. Many beginning breeders are interested in the question of the time of the estrus of a bitch, and the most important is how much. The estrus in dogs of all breeds occurs approximately 2 times a year and lasts about 18-20 days.
- Vulva bitches (the so-called "loop") swells and gradually increases in size. According to her condition, you can judge about ovulation: in the early days of the estrus, the loop is stiff, and the secretions are dark and lean. By the time of ovulation the vulva becomes soft and maximally enlarged, the discharge becomes lighter and becomes pinkish-yellow.
- As a rule, during puberty, bitches, unlike males, do not become more aggressive: the main change in behavior is the so-called "hunting period", associated with the aspiration of the bitch to mating.
- As a rule, with the onset of estrus, the dog's well-being does not deteriorate, except that some bitches may lose their appetite for a while.
Despite the obvious desire of the bitch for mating, knitting it right after the first heat does not make sense, since the dog's organism only enters into "adult functioning", and it will take some time for complete adaptation. As a rule, the bitch's organism is fully prepared for the continuation of the genus after the third estrus.
A dog's lap is an important stage not only for the animal, but also for the host. Responsibility for the sex life of a thoroughbred dog lies entirely with the breeder. It is advisable to decide on this issue before purchasing a puppy. And the point is not that the mating of dogs is a troublesome business, but in what is later done with litter. With puppies that meet breed standards, problems usually do not happen: many people dream of a pedigreed four-legged friend and do not spare money for that. And what about the so-called "culling"? Stoke or throw to the mercy of fate? Definitely not an option! It is better to weigh everything in advance and clearly understand that the act of mating dogs is a very serious step, followed by the birth of puppies, the responsibility for the fate of which lies entirely on the person.
Puppies are not just cute fluffy lumps! First of all, these are spoiled children, peeing at the carpet, scratching doors, peeling wallpaper and chewing shoes. In addition, during a period of active growth, they eat quite a lot - and a balanced diet significantly "hits" on the pocket.
Therefore, before there is a mating of dogs, it is necessary to attend to the equipment of a special place for keeping canine cubs. In addition, not all bitchs experience the inexpressible joy of motherhood.
It is important to understand that in order for a thoroughbred dog of any gender to be valued as a breeding producer, it is necessary to have such factors as:
- perfect exterior;
- presence of "blue blood" in the pedigree;
- participation in exhibitions, receiving awards and medals;
- strong psyche and a stable nervous system of the dog.
Better in any way, than somehow!
Remember that thoroughbred dogs, whose photos are adorned in all print and online publications, is the result of proper knitting.
Despite the desire of the dog to mate, you do not need to knit your pet just like that. Professional cynologists unanimously assert that if the dog does not receive the required number of cases every year, it is not worthwhile to begin. The first mating of dogs will forever change the psyche of the animal, and if this does not happen regularly, the dog (especially the dog) will look for a partner for amorous comfort among other animals.
Therefore, if you do not plan to breed puppies, it is better to leave the dog in ignorance of canine sex. Over time, uncoupled dogs completely atrophy sexual instinct, and they live a full life, absolutely not suffering because of the lack of mating.
Selecting a pair
If you decide to breed, then the first thing you should do is look for a suitable partner for your dog. Choosing a pair for mating to get a thoroughbred litter is probably one of the most important steps of breeders. Especially it concerns owners of bitches. How to find a worthy challenger "on the paw and heart" of your "girl"?
The first thing is to contact the club, which is your dog. A competent zootechnician, based on pedigrees and exterior data of a bitch, will surely pick up a worthy male, who will fully comply with it. Best of all, if the dog is from another city and another club - the offspring of the so-called "new line" is always successful.
Of course, the "husband" for your dog can be found independently, but you need to understand this breed well, read literature, attend exhibitions and be aware of the whole "intraband" life. When choosing a dog, be guided not only by the appearance of the dog. Be sure to inquire about the origin and thoroughly study its pedigree. The pedigree should be genuine and issued by a solid club - this is a guarantee that puppies obtained as a result of mating will be not only highlyborne, but also in demand.
As soon as a suitable dog is found, and all the conditions are agreed, it is advisable to make a dog knitting contract. This document includes such items as:
- passport data of the owners of the eventual pair of dogs, including residence registration, the address of actual residence, e-mail and telephone numbers;
- breed of dogs, their nicknames and dates of birth, color, as well as a list of exhibitions, ratings and titles;
- the owners of the bitch indicate the number of previous matings, genera and puppies born in each litter;
- the exact date of the first and control mating is entered;
- fixed payment method for mating owner of the dog;
- the rights and obligations of the parties are specified;
- copies of a pedigree and color photos of both dogs are attached.
The concluded contract is a reliable guarantee that neither side will be deceived. The owner of the dog will receive the agreed payment, and the owner of the bitch - high-class puppies.
The first knitting of dogs (however, like all the following) - the process for dogs is quite natural. Breeders will have to work hard to make everything go smoothly and effectively. Especially it concerns owners of bitches. To find out the most favorable day for such an event as a dog's mating (on which day of a close cycle), it is necessary to keep a diary during the first three streams, which will include such data as:
- changes in dog behavior;
- monitoring the well-being of a bitch;
- date of beginning and end, as well as the number of days of estrus.
Keeping a diary will greatly facilitate the task of breeders. Thanks to the records, you can easily plan the days of dog breeding. In addition, based on the data of the diary, you can in time conduct all the necessary procedures before the mating, for example, prohelmintizirovat and instill dogs, as well as conduct an analysis to detect hidden infections. The most favorable for mating are 10-14 days of estrus at a cycle of 21-23 days and 14-18 days with a cycle of 26-28 days.
How do dogs get bred? To start, the bitch is taken to the dog, and in no case is the reverse. This is a rigorous rule, the deviation from which will reduce all attempts to mating to zero. The fact is that in his legal territory the dog feels himself the master of the situation. He behaves confidently and actively caring for his "lady of the heart." She, in turn, is somewhat frightened by the change of the situation and does not resist too much.
Do not expect that, barely seeing each other, the couple will actively make love. First they need to get acquainted, run, play with each other. In a word - "fall in love". Before the mating of dogs, you need to feed and walk well, so that the couple does not get distracted by their daily needs.
During the mating of dogs it is worthwhile to tune in beforehand what to expect will take a long time. After flirting and courting, the dogs begin to mate. The dog is always the initiator. First of all, he begins to show tenderness to the bitch - licks her ears, nose, sides and loop. This is a kind of prelude that prepares the bitch for intercourse.
The willingness of a bitch is manifested in the fact that she readily crouches and takes her tail to the side. However, when the dog tries to make a cage, the bitch snaps, twists, growls, and can even slightly bite the partner. The whole period of courtship begins anew and continues until the dog introduces the penis into the loop of the bitch.
The fact that the dog has all turned out, is marked by the screech of a bitch. In this case the male accelerates movements, and then freezes by injecting sperm into the genital tracts of the bitch. At the same time, the angry sex organs of the bitch swell strongly and squeeze the dog's penis with a dense ring. This process is called dog-breeder "gluing" or "lock". Bounded by a bitch, the dog turns to her back, in this position the dogs stay from a couple of minutes to several hours, until the swelling of the genital organs of the bitch stops.
After 48 hours, a control mating is carried out in case if the first time fertilization did not occur.
Many dogs cope with the task of knitting themselves, but some breeds need help, without which dogs can not get by. The most thoroughbred dogs, whose photos bring to the emotion of many of us, are chihuahua, toy terriers, yorkies. Also, help can be needed plump pugs, and bulldogs, and larger mastiffs.
If you are a knitting dog - a beginner - and you feel insecure, an instructor will help you to knit dogs. It will help to properly hold the bitch or raise the dog during the mating, will help with the coupling of dogs in the "lock", will carry out the necessary hygienic measures after mating. Instructor for breeding dogs is not a free pleasure. The payment for services is made in different ways:
- if the dog is untied, and the bitch is not, then the owner of the bitch pays for the help of the instructor;
- if the bitch is untied, and the male is not - the owner of the dog pays;
- under the agreement of dog owners, the services of an instructor can be paid in half.
It is better to mate the above breeds of dogs with an instructor for the reason that correctly untied males and bitches are more "experienced" in subsequent pairings and do not require anyone's intervention.
Pregnancy bitch can not be "recognized" by eye, but you can "see" after 22-24 days by ultrasound or with the help of special pregnancy tests. These tests are based on the determination of the hormone content of relaxin, the amount of which increases several times with the course of pregnancy.
Some of the signs of pregnancy may be drowsiness and toxicosis. Roundness of the abdomen in many bitches is observed only at the end of pregnancy, then swelling of mammary glands occurs.
After the due time, the long-awaited puppies appear, and the main task of the breeder is to provide them with proper nutrition, and then to find good hands.