How much a cat can live without food and water
Good feeding acts as a source of activity and good mood for any pet. The lack of nutrients and fluids in the body can lead to illness and even the death of the animal. Let's figure out how much the cat will live without food and water, which can cause the pet to refuse eating.
What can make a cat starve?
There are several reasons why an animal can refuse to eat:
- A sharp change in diet - the transition to unfamiliar foods can adversely affect the behavior of the pet. That is why it is recommended to gradually replace food. New food should be offered to the cat in small portions throughout the week.
- Poor treatment of animals - cats tend to resent the master, if the latter behaves rudely and does not pay due attention. How many days can a cat live without food in such a situation? In this case, the appetite, as a rule, returns to the animal in a few days.
- Feeding with old, spoiled food, food with a sharp, unpleasant smell. Cats have a good sense of smell. Therefore, some products may not attract them.
- Changing climatic conditions - when moving to a terrain with sharply different conditions, a pet may lose its appetite. Restore the craving for food allows the lure of the pet favorite treats.
- Unloading days. According to veterinarians, cats sometimes deliberately arrange long breaks between meals, which helps to cleanse the body.
- The main instinct - to start starving cats can during active breeding.
- Malaise or development of ailment - to give up food the animal can be poisoned or have a disease. How much a cat can live without food in such situations, the veterinarian is able to determine. That is why when an animal refuses food it is worthwhile to turn to a specialist.
How much can a domestic cat live without food?
As practice shows, the cat is able to remain hungry for a week without negative consequences for the body. Naturally, pets rarely behave in this way. But if in the life of a pet an exciting event occurs, fasting can act as one of the behavioral reactions.
So how many a cat can live without food? A complete refusal of the animal from nutrition can lead to rather sad consequences. According to experts, if a cat does not eat for two weeks, it can cause irreversible changes in the body.
How many cats can live without water?
About 70% of the weight in cats is fluid. Even with a complete loss of fat reserves, the animal is able to fully recover within a month. But even with a lack of 10% of the normal body fluids, cats are most likely to die.
After figuring out how much a cat can live without food, let's find out how long a pet can survive without water. Much here depends on the breed of the animal. So, the Scottish and British Fold cats feel the minimum need for fluid to enter the body and therefore drink extremely seldom. However, the average norm of an ordinary adult cat is about 250 ml of water per day.
Averaged data from special studies show how much a cat can live without food and water. Without entering the liquid into the body, even with dry food, the animal is able to stretch for no more than two days.
It is quite difficult to imagine what can make a cat refuse to eat food and water in a domestic setting. However, such situations do happen. Cats are wayward animals. Therefore, a strong stress or a drastic change in living conditions may force them to exhibit atypical behavior.
In some cases, it is about the development of a serious disease. At first you can try to feed the cat with liquid food and drink from a syringe. However, in the absence of changes for the better for several days, it is recommended to show the animal to the vet. Only a specialist will be able to find out the real reason for the pet's refusal from food and water.