Aluminum dish is harmful or not? Is it worth using aluminum cookware?
Today one can often hear the assertion that aluminum utensils are harmful to health. Is it really?
There is a legend that the famous Mendeleyev, while studying the element of aluminum, decided to make from him a cutlery - a spoon. The invention was presented to the royal person. At the present time this spoon is stored in one of the museums of St. Petersburg. Later, tableware made of aluminum began to be used by people from high society, and for the court were intended silver.
Aluminum - where is found in nature?
Obtaining aluminum in a laboratory is not an expensive pleasure, but in nature it can be found quite often in the composition of ores. How safe is the aluminum cookware? The harm that it can inflict on the body has not been fully proven.
The admixture of aluminum is in the composition of bauxite (multi-colored clay). When there are elements of iron in it, the clay acquires a red shade. It is also found in white, called kaolin. Such clay is used for the production of vessels made of faience and porcelain. Ancient people used for a thousand years in their household utensils made of this material. It is known that clay also includes aluminum, but no health problems have been noted as a result.
What is the danger in fact?
What is harmful aluminum dishes, which we use today? Not so long ago it was possible to find utensils from this metal in every house. As raw materials, aluminum is inexpensive, with it it's still flexible and light. Due to these properties, it is an excellent conductor of thermal energy, which makes it possible to heat products very quickly. Cereals, for example, do not "stick" to the bottom, milk does not burn, but you can not store cooked food in such a container. The aluminum pan is also not designed to store products containing various acids. Otherwise, an oxidative reaction will occur. If food is burnt when preparing food, in no case should it be scraped off for food use.
It is known that aluminum impurities can enter a person in the body in a critically small amount.
One can not ignore the fact that aluminum impurities gradually accumulate in the human body. In the 1970s, researchers from Canada conducted research and concluded that people with Alzheimer's disease had increased the content of the 13th element in the brain cells. Is it to blame for the dishes made of aluminum? It was not possible to establish a causal relationship between the disease and the use of this utensil.
Recommendations for the use of aluminum cookware
The tips are simple and easy to remember.
- Do not scrub the surface using a metal brush. With this method of cleaning, it is possible to damage the oxide film designed to protect the surface. This coating has the property of partially regenerating. To do this, fill the entire container with water and leave for ten minutes. Then drain the water and wipe the surface dry. Aluminum dishes have the property to darken, if you use chemicals during washing.
- It is forbidden to store ready-made food in aluminum containers, it is better to use clay, ceramic or enamel.
- Experts advise to use in domestic life aluminum dishes only for cooking cereals, pasta, baking and boiling.
Is aluminum cookware harmful to the body?
Based on information provided by the World Health Organization in 1998, natural aluminum found in food and water does not pose a threat to human health and is not capable of causing the growth of cancer cells and the development of oncology.
Today, industrial aluminum is the biggest threat, as during its manufacture the environment is mercilessly suffering. But why is it often said today that aluminum ware is not safe? The harm it can cause is associated with its improper operation.
Items made of aluminum, change color, darken if exposed to chemical reagents. The material itself is quite durable, but easy. This means that when working with it, you should be careful and accurate. Various household utensils made of aluminum are often dirty and require cleaning. Therefore, it is necessary to know and be able to properly get rid of scales and traces of use. With normal care long enough to serve aluminum cookware. The harm of it in such a case will be minimized.
A Guide to cleaning and using items from aluminum
Most housewives prefer exactly aluminum dishes. Why? Everything is extremely simple: aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, which means that the products in this container are heated instantly and do not burn. Aluminum vessels practically do not wear out, they are easily operated.
Probably, all not once noticed, how brightly shines still not used aluminum utensils in shop? This advantage often attracts housewives, and they immediately strive to acquire this beauty. It is a pity that after a while the radiance comes to naught, scum is formed. This is not in the positive key is famous for aluminum cookware. Harm from it can only be with improper care. To return the former glitter of a favorite saucepan, cooks resort to the use of household chemicals, but alas, the results do not justify the hopes.
However, there is a mass of quite easy and accessible to everyone ways, with the help of which the aluminum dishes will be cleaned and get the new originality. Before you start cleaning aluminum containers, you should read some recommendations:
- In no case do not start washing hot dishes. The unheated aluminum pan will lose its shape upon contact with water.
- In the event that the particles of food get to the bottom of the dishes, you just need to pour a medium-temperature water in the container and drip the detergent. Leave for an hour, allowing the burnt products to lag behind the bottom.
- Manual washing of aluminum is always a priority, since the temperature of the water in the dishwasher is not always suitable, which can lead to deformation.
- Do not get carried away by cleaning kitchen utensils, using products containing alkali and acid. This method will certainly manifest itself in the form of dark spots on the walls and eliminates gloss.
- The walls of aluminum containers often become "painted", as when using a metal brush is used. It should be completely excluded such a method of cleaning, as a result of the dishes will look worse. To clean, for example, a frying pan made of aluminum, it is best to purchase the household chemical products intended for this purpose or to take advantage of the folk advice of our grandmothers.
Aluminum dishes. Care with folk remedies
We offer you to familiarize yourself with the most popular ways, thanks to which the dishes will be cleaned of grease, dirt, plaque and scale.
- Often, dark traces appear on the bottom of the pan. Get rid of them you can, bay kefir, brine or sour milk.
Any of these three products must be poured onto the bottom and rinsed after 24 hours.
- The traces of the deposit will come off after you resort to the help of sour apples. To do this, a small piece of fruit must be rubbed on the inside surface.
The acid, which is part of the pulp, will clean the dishes. For a similar purpose, lemon juice is allowed.
- The only, perhaps, minus aluminum is its vulnerability to oxidation. To get rid of the traces of the oxidative process, it is recommended to use this method: dilute salt with water in a ratio of one to one. The resulting composition, apply to the areas where the reaction occurred, and wipe with a rag. When preparing the mixture, you need to remember that the consistency of the home remedy should be approximately like a thick sour cream. Thus, it is easy to clean the dark traces inside the aluminum thermos.
A mixture of glue and baking soda
Do not worry that the pan has lost its appearance over time, and it is impossible to get rid of the old sludge. This requires:
- a large bowl;
- baking soda - 100 grams;
- hot water - 10 l;
- clerical glue - 100 grams.
To keep the residue from burning, it is necessary to pour water in a bowl, in it to dissolve all the components. Place the dishes in the resulting solution and leave for three hours. After rinse and dry with a rag.
Vinegar 9% against plaque and stains
Dark marks from the surface of aluminum are removed using table or apple cider vinegar. It is applied to a dry cloth, which wipes the desired area on the surface.
Applying any vinegar or food acid, you can get rid of traces of scale as follows:
200 g of vinegar are diluted in a liter of water, and this solution is poured into the container that you want to clean. Next, you should boil the liquid on the fire. After cooling, you can start cleaning.
Composition of soap to clean anodized aluminum
Many people keep in their everyday life things made from anodized aluminum, for example, moldings. These products have a yellowish tinge. Here you need qualified care.
Wash products from this type of aluminum is possible using a special soap composition, which is prepared by diluting the powder in water. Thus, the dirt will be removed, but this does not give the metal a radiance. To achieve brilliance, take 15 grams of borax and mix with 5 grams of ammonia. The resulting composition is applied to the surface. At the same time it is worth working in gloves. After processing the object, it is necessary to wash the composition with water.
Soda helps to get rid of scum
To clean dishes from scale, housewives resort to the old way, doing this with the help of baking soda. To get the gruel, the required amount of water is diluted with soda to the required consistency. The obtained composition is smeared with scum, and then washed with water with the addition of ammonia. This is a very simple and effective way to achieve the purity and radiance of your dishes.
Proper care for such dishes is a guarantee of its durability and safety. And the damage to aluminum utensils is a myth that has not been confirmed by anything.