Why a month-old does not sleep all day
The duration of a month's sleep is about 20 hours. During this time, the hormones of maturation and growth are activated in the baby's body, which are produced precisely at rest. If the baby does not sleep, growth slows down. Why babies do not sleep and how to solve this problem is described in our article.
Causes of sleep disorders
A kid, like an adult, needs a full-fledged sleep, for which it is necessary to create appropriate conditions. A month-old does not sleep a whole day - it means that something does not give him rest. It happens that the baby is awake for a long time and falls asleep only when he is very tired. But very soon, unexpectedly for parents wakes up.
Why does a month-old child not sleep all day? There are many reasons:
- A wet diaper is the most simple and common cause of a baby's anxiety. Not all modern diapers provide dryness after emptying. If the palpation of the priests and back does not reveal traces of percolation, this does not mean that the baby is comfortable.
- Environment. Sometimes a month-old baby does not sleep all day because of constant noise. There are children who fall asleep only in silence. If the newborn is still not responding well to the sounds, then from the second month the baby's ability to react to noise rises.
- Uncomfortable air temperature. A month-old does not sleep all day - a common situation in modern families. Many young parents are afraid to catch a cold, so do not ventilate the apartment, over heat and thus overheat the baby.
- Increased activity. The baby can badly fall asleep after active games. It's hard to calm him, he keeps screaming, moving his legs and arms.
- Having problems with health. An unsettled condition often arises due to a disorder in the organs of the digestive system, the development of neurological pathologies,
- Unfavorable psychological situation in the family. Nervous tension, frequent quarrels affect the condition of parents. The child delicately feels the emotions of his mother and is overexcited.
- Teething. The growth of the first teeth gives the children a strong discomfort and can be accompanied by pain. If a 3-month-old does not sleep the whole day, this may indicate the onset of teething.
- Temperament. The sleep regime largely depends on the child's psyche. Children with increased excitability severely calmed down, even with the timely removal of the focus of excitement.
Medical causes of sleep disorders
A month-old does not sleep the whole day? This is a signal for parents to consult a doctor to determine the cause of this behavior. Sleep disorders are handled by individual specialists - somnologists. Also the baby is examined by a neurologist for the presence of appropriate diseases. If neurologists do not find violations of the nervous system, the baby is examined for birth trauma. Confirm the diagnosis can be after a series of examinations.
Violation of the functions of the organs of the digestive system often provokes the appearance of a restless state in the baby. As a result, a month-old baby does not sleep all day and cries. Inaccuracies in feeding, improperly selected mixture, non-observance of maternity diet can cause colic, diarrhea, constipation, skin rashes. The most painful are the babies of colic. This condition arises from the poor separation of gases. As a result, the tummy swells. When colic the baby feels strong pains in the intestines, which prevent him from falling asleep.
Disturbance of sleep in infants can be associated with injuries and other diseases of internal organs, because of which the infant feels pain. The main sign, which indicates the problems with the health of the baby, is a constant crying. If the baby does not sleep, but at the same time plays, there is no reason to consult a doctor.
Incorrect sleep patterns
If the baby systematically sleeps badly during all 24 hours, he gets used to this routine. Over time, change the mode of the baby is even more difficult. Therefore, it is necessary to accustom a child to the correct alternation of sleep and rest from birth.
Often, sleep disorders occur through the fault of the parents. Putting the baby at different times, using completely different lulling manipulations does not allow the child to develop an accurate sleep and wakefulness regime.
To the infant has learned to fall asleep at the same time, it is important to create a setup for sleep. Despite the fact that the baby is still very small, his nervous system can already distinguish certain phenomena. For example, putting the child in the dark accustoms the child to fall asleep with the onset of night. He will know that night is time for absolute rest. And play and stay awake when it's light.
Lack of sleep during the day
In infants, with each month the duration of sleep decreases in the daytime, and the time of wakefulness is already up to 6 hours. At the same night sleep lasts the same duration.
Very rarely, but it happens that a 2-month-old baby does not sleep all day. Usually, children of this age go to rest and relax in the morning and in the afternoon. Some babies can sleep 3 times a day. It depends on the baby's biorhythms and the conditions of his stay.
The task of parents who raise babies is not to overexcite the baby. It is important to take into account that small children learn the world every second and receive a lot of impressions. Therefore, the excessive activity of adults affects the sleep of the baby. As a result, situations may arise that the child does not sleep much during the day.
What should parents do?
Solving the problem of bad baby sleep is easy. This is under the power of every mother. First of all it is necessary to reveal the factors influencing the sleep of the infants. To do this, you need to check if the baby is not hungry and if everything is all right with the diaper. Perhaps the child does not have enough milk, and additional nutrition is required. A feeling of hunger can prevent a baby from falling asleep.
If a month-old baby does not sleep all day and night, this is already quite a serious sign, requiring consultation of the pediatrician. In this case, the probability of health problems is high.
How many babies should sleep
Depending on the age, the sleep duration is from 20 to 12 hours per day. So, for a baby up to 2 months the norm is a dream, which lasts 18 hours. Infants from 3 to 4 months for a full rest need a sleep of 17 hours. At 5 months, the child should sleep until 16 hours. A half-year-old can sleep an hour less. Already closer to the year the child needs to sleep 12 hours a day.
How to provide a baby with a healthy sleep
To improve the baby's sleep, it is important to periodically ventilate the room and prevent an increase in the temperature of the air in the room. The most comfortable temperature for babies is 18-19 degrees Celsius. If the baby is hot, he probably will not be able to sleep and will be capricious.
Considerable importance for sleep plays a nightly bath. Warm water soothes and relaxes the child. Immediately after bath procedures, the baby should be put on clean pajamas and fed. This sequence of actions is considered an obligatory norm for all children and promotes a deep night's sleep.
To the infant slept well during the day, it should be taught to fall asleep at a particular time, after feeding and replacing the diaper.