The first bathing of a child after the hospital
The hygiene of a newborn baby requires special knowledge from the parents. The first month should be especially carefully monitor the condition of the umbilical cord, skin folds, hygiene of the maternal breast. Special requirements apply to bathing the baby. So, the first bathing of the child after the hospital is recommended for doctors not earlier than 2 days after discharge. About what should be the hygiene of the baby the first month of life - this article.
General recommendations for care after birth
After discharge from the maternity ward for the newborn, a district doctor and a nurse are watching. They are obliged to visit the baby the day after mother and child return home. Medical workers give Mom advice on how to take care of the baby and feed. Repeated visits to health workers should be applied on the 14th and 21st day after birth.
Among the general recommendations, the doctor emphasizes the parents' attention to the fact that:
- In the first month of life, crumbs should not invite guests to the house and attend social institutions with the baby, and also go with him to visit. This is explained by the weak immunity of a little man, when he can get sick literally from every sneeze.
- In the children's room should be maintained a certain temperature and humidity regime: air humidity - 60%, temperature - +23 о С.
- If the baby eats an artificial mixture, then each feeding should be made from carefully sterilized bottles.
- In the case of breastfeeding, mom should wash her nipples after each feeding, and not in front of him. This is explained by the fact that between the nipple feedings the bacteria that are useful for the newborn intestine are formed, which are easily washed off if the breast is washed before feeding. In this case, the mother should wear a clean bra with disposable pads.
Care of the umbilical cord
When the baby is born, doctors put a special plastic brace on the rest of the umbilical cord. By 4-6 days of life, the umbilical wound is covered with crust, and a month later he completely heals. Modern doctors are sure that the umbilical cord does not require any special care, as this can lead to infection of the wound and its traumatization.
Other doctors recommend cleaning it with a drop of hydrogen peroxide (without wiping it) and then burning it with brilliant green (green paint).
There are a number of adverse symptoms that require a doctor:
- the area around the navel flushed and swelled;
- from the wound there is an unpleasant smell or there are discharges of a purulent type;
- the umbilical cord heals more slowly;
- formed protrusion, increasing when the baby screams.
Doctors do not recommend washing in the baby's bath until a crust forms on the wound! The first bathing of the child after the maternity hospital in the absence of a crust is unacceptable, in this case it is enough to wash the baby and conduct morning hygiene procedures.
Washing in the morning
Newborn babies have very vulnerable skin, so it should be taken care of from the first days of life very carefully. The first month you can wash the crumbs only with boiled water. Before proceeding with this procedure, you should prepare:
- capacity with boiled water heated to a temperature of +32 о С;
- baby oil (mineral or vegetable);
- flagella of sterile cotton and cotton discs;
- gentle towel (preferably bamboo).
Before you begin to wash your child, mom should wash your hands with soap and hot water so that they are warm and gentle. Bathing rules in the morning:
- Each glazik is wiped with a cotton disc moistened with water and wrung out. Movements should be from the center to the periphery. After wiping with a wet disc, you need to get wet with a towel.
- The nose and ears are cleaned with cotton wool, soaked in oil. It is forbidden to use cotton buds!
- A damp disc should wipe the ear and the area behind it, the spout and mouth, forehead and cheeks crumbs.
- Completes the procedure of drying with a towel - to do this, just wet the skin of the baby.
After each toilet, the baby should be washed with running warm water without the use of detergents (maximum once a week). It is not recommended to use industrial wet wipes, since they contain many chemicals that can cause unnecessary irritation and provoke an allergic reaction. Bathing babies should also be complemented by the procedure of intimate hygiene of babies.
How to wash the girl
Before you go with your daughter to the bath, you should take it in your hands in a special way: the head should lie on your elbow bend, and the butt will be supported by the palm. The baby is placed on the inside of the hand with the tummy down. For the convenience of washing, baby baths for babies are usually used, which are put in a large bath - so the risk of dropping the baby is reduced.
During the procedure to wash the girl should be from the bottom up - avoiding getting dirty water into the vagina. You can not rub the labia from the inside! After the procedure, you should soak the ass and genitals with a soft towel. If irritation persists, treat the skin with a special remedy.
How to wash a boy
Before you go to the bath, the baby should be picked up in the same way as above. At the time of washing, water should be directed from the front to the rear. The scrotum and penis should be washed gently, without stretching the delicate skin and not exposing the head of the penis.
After water procedures, dry and lubricate the skin if there is irritation.
What to do with crusts on the head
After a birth at kids on a head very often yellowish color of a crust - so-called gnejs are formed. The reason for its formation is unknown. It is assumed that its appearance may be due to the reaction of the baby's organism to food.
To get rid of crusts on the scalp, you should prepare vegetable or mineral oil, a cotton ball and a small comb. One hour before bathing in the bathroom you need to oil the crusts with oil, previously boiled in a water bath. Bathing babies should be supplemented by rubbing gneiss with a soaped cotton swab and then combing out. When the hair is dry, remove the scales remnants by combing them with a comb.
If there is a crust on the umbilical wound, there are no inflammations and excretions from it - then you can start washing crumbs. As a rule, the first bathing of a child after the hospital is a couple of days after discharge.
The first month of the child's life, water procedures should be taken every day. Starting from the second month - every other day. By the half-year it is enough to bathe a few times a week. Do not do this too often, since the effects of water and bleach adversely affect the baby's skin condition.
Bathing should be done at the same time every day, preferably before evening feeding. Duration of water procedures - up to 6 minutes. The first bathing of the child after the hospital can scare him, so it will take 1-2 minutes to start. If the baby starts crying, stop the procedure. You need to bathe on a full stomach so that the child does not act up. Do not take a bath after 21 hours, as this will have an exciting effect on the nervous system of the crumbs, and it will be more difficult to put it to bed. Water for bathing newborns should be about +23 o C.
If necessary, a bath or chamomile can be added to the water, but it is not recommended to bathe the crumbs in manganese water. Potassium permanganate very much dries the skin and is very dangerous in terms of causing burns to the crystals of the substance. In the first month of the child's life, water should be used stagnant and boiled to get rid of excess chlorine and other harmful elements. For the procedure, you can use baby baths for newborns - they do not require a lot of water.
Bathe the baby with the left river, hold it by the head and neck, and the right - water the body with water and rub the skin. At the end of the procedure, the baby should be showered with water having a temperature 2 degrees below that of the bath.
This accessory greatly facilitates the life of parents, but its use is associated with a number of requirements.
- Before going outside, after emptying, half an hour after feeding, the diaper should be changed.
- After removing the diaper, the skin should be allowed to "breathe" for 40-60 minutes.
- If there is irritation on the skin, you should temporarily abandon the use of this item. Alternatively, you can use the usual diaper, washed and ironed.
- When allergic rashes appear in the diaper area, immediately replace it with products from other manufacturers.
Fulfillment of these simple requirements will allow you to avoid unpleasant consequences in the form of prickly berries, allergies, diaper rash and other troubles.