Paranatal glands in dogs: inflammation and treatment
Dog lovers know that their pets not only can bring joy in communication, but also require care and care. Pets, like people, suffer from various diseases. Paraanal gland in dogs is a common problem. The owners need to know what can cause their inflammation and how to cope with it.
What it is?
All animals have such glands, dogs in this genus are no exception. On the sides of the anal opening are small sacs, filled with a special secret with a pungent odor.
These are the same glands as sweat or greasy, only the discharge from them is sharper and has a light brown color. In the wild, animals with this secret mark their territory, frighten off enemies. If the dog lives in an apartment, the need for paranal glands disappears, the secret begins to stagnate there, resulting in inflammation.
Pathogenesis of the disease
Inflammation of paranal glands in dogs occurs gradually. In the normal state, the liquid is watery in these sacs. With diarrhea or disruption of the muscle tone of the anal sphincter, the secretion process is broken, sometimes it is completely stopped.
Stagnant phenomena lead to the fact that the secret becomes thick. Gradually, as it accumulates, the sacs increase in size and clog the paranal gland in dogs.
If you do not take any measures, then there may be a rupture of the glands. When the bacterial infection also joins, the inflammatory process can have ascending character, and descending, thus on a skin at an animal ulcers and fistulas are formed.
Causes of inflammation
Animals living on the street, almost do not suffer from this problem, but pets for many reasons often give their owners concern about this.
There are several reasons that can provoke this disease:
1. Hereditary factor. Most often this genetic predisposition is present in small dogs, for example in pugs, bulldogs. And if the animal suffers even more weight, this aggravates the situation.
2. Wrong diet. Often the owners spoil their pets with food from their table. It should be taken into account that an excessive amount of fatty, salty or sweet can lead to clogging of the anal glands.
3. Low physical activity. This is especially true for domestic dogs, who are forced to sit in the apartment all day waiting for their master.
4. Reduced immunity. It is also the prerogative of domestic animals in contrast to their wild relatives.
5. Inattentive owners. Often the inflammatory process begins because of the carelessness of the host, who did not see a blockage of anal glands in time.
One inflammatory process may be different from the other, in total there are two forms of this disease:
- Occlusion of anal glands. At first, this process does not cause the animal anxiety, but as the bags are filled, the dog begins to react painfully to touching the tail.
- Inflammation of paranal glands in dogs. Most often begins to develop after the entry of bacteria into the wound. If the secret does not go outside, then a festering or abscess occurs, which can break, and a fistula is formed. If the animal is not helped in this situation, complications are possible, even to death.
Symptomatic of the disease
When the paranal glands in dogs start to become plugged up, it practically does not manifest itself in any way. An animal may have some discomfort, from which it tries to get rid of itself. And most often at this stage the secret begins to become thicker, so in the absence of reaction from the host, the inflammation process will only progress with time.
It is necessary to visit the veterinarian without delay, if you find the following manifestations in your pet:
- The dog grabs his tail.
- Often lick the anus.
- The pet rotates with its tail.
- When you touch the back, the animal experiences pain.
- Pain during defecation.
- "Rides" on the pope.
- In some cases, body temperature rises.
A loving owner will always pay attention to the anxiety of his pet and will do everything to save him from suffering. This is a fairly common problem - inflammation of the paranal glands in dogs. Treatment is required immediately, so as not to bring the matter to serious complications and irreversible consequences.
Diagnosis of inflammation
Usually the diagnosis is not difficult. A competent specialist can examine the animal enough to understand the problem. For the appointment of adequate treatment, it is necessary to conduct functional diagnostics and clinical studies.
During the examination, the doctor should find out the color and consistency of the secret, the presence of odor. If there are veins of blood and a fetid odor in the secretions, then it can be said with certainty that the bacteria became the culprits of the inflammation of the paranal glands in dogs. Treatment will have to be done using antibiotics.
Therapy of anal gland inflammation
Treatment of such a disease, as a rule, is carried out in several stages:
- Mechanical cleaning of glands.
- Antibacterial treatment.
- Surgical intervention.
Depending on the severity of the situation, the doctor prescribes treatment. If you notice health problems in the beginning, then you can do cleaning, which is easily carried out at home.
Cleansing paranal glands in a dog
If you try a little, then this procedure can be easily carried out at home, and do not take your pet to the vet. There are two ways to conduct it. The first is as follows:
- It is necessary to put the dog in the bath, if the pet is small, then you can get by with a basin.
- I'll have to call someone to help me hold the animal.
- Wear gloves and grope along the sides of the anus of the gland.
- Take the tail and lift it up as high as possible.
- With your free hand, gently squeeze the area on either side of the anus, with a liquid of unpleasant odor and thick consistency.
With inflammation the paranatal glands in dogs are increased, the photo shows it well, so problems with their detection, as a rule, do not happen.
The second way to get rid of your pet from torture is as follows:
- Again, we must put the dog in the bath.
- Wear gloves and lubricate the index finger with vaseline oil.
- Then you need to insert a finger into the anus, while the palm should be positioned perpendicular to the floor.
- To grope for the gland and press on it with your index finger from the inside, and outside - large.
Cleaning the paranal glands in the dog gives the animal anxiety, so it is necessary that someone supports the pet under the stomach.
If you do not purge the anal glands, then the secret begins to accumulate, becomes dense, the bacteria multiply actively in it. So begins the inflammatory process, already by the behavior of the animal you can suspect about its presence:
- The dog is constantly gnawing under the tail.
- Often rubs anus on the floor or furniture.
- The anal opening swells and turns red.
- The wool around the glands begins to fade, fall out.
- On the skin there is noticeable irritation, rash and scratching.
If there are such symptoms, then urgently need to contact the veterinarian. When the diagnosis of "inflammation of the paranal glands" in a dog is confirmed, the treatment will be more serious than with a conventional blockage.
The doctor removes the contents of the glands, treats the skin with an antiseptic and prescribes rectal suppositories. This is more effective than external treatment and pills, although your pet will resist such interference.
Everyone knows: if there is no special opening for removing the liquid, then with a full gland, it will find a place to exit. The wall breaks, the secret flows out. The abscess is a small hole, through which the yellow liquid flows all the time.
Neighboring tissues begin to become inflamed, ache, the dog often lick the affected area, the bacteria get into the wound and multiply intensely. All this leads to a sharp deterioration in the state of health of the animal, it becomes sluggish, the temperature rises.
In such a situation, it is urgent to run to the veterinarian, he will show how to clean the paranal glands in dogs, so that this is no longer allowed, will remove all pus and will treat the wound. If necessary, drainage is installed, and candles are also appointed, for example, "Proctoside".
In difficult cases, a course of antibiotics is shown to suppress the growth and multiplication of bacteria.
Removal of anal glands
Occlusion of glands occurs at different speeds in dogs. It is enough for some to clean every six months, and there are some who will have to resort to such a procedure every week. In such situations, veterinarians advise the removal of paranal glands in the dog to avoid relapse.
Often, surgery is indicated for an abscess, especially if the tissues are severely damaged. It is more humane to remove than prolonged and painful for the animal to treat the disease.
Operation for the doctor is simple. Make two incisions slightly above the glands, pull them out and cut off. Since during this operation the rectum and anus do not touch, the animal feels like the next day as before.
To prevent divergence of the seams, the dog should be more often strolled so that she does not tolerate the urge to go to the toilet and replace the diet with an easier one.
Any disease is easier to prevent, including inflammation of the paranal glands in dogs. Treatment will not be needed if you follow some simple recommendations:
- Increase the time walks with the animal. They must become regular; if there is an opportunity to leave the dog in the yard, then it is desirable to do it periodically.
- Ensure that the animal is timely emptied the intestines and bladder.
- If you do not have enough time to walk with a dog, care for her, then it is better not to start an animal.
- Your pet should be able to frolic with other dogs.
- Regularly carry out antihelminthic therapy.
- Periodically examine the anal gland in a dog.
- Do not overfeed the animal. Obesity still has not benefited anyone, including dogs.
If an animal appears in the house, then all the care for its health rests on the shoulders of the owner. It, like a small child, constantly needs love and an attentive attitude towards oneself. It is advisable, before starting a dog, to consult with a veterinarian about all the problems and difficulties in keeping it. Otherwise, illiteracy and indifferent attitude can be costly for your pet.