Maine Coon Colors: Types and Description
We love our pets for many traits, habits, but hardly anyone will dispute the charm of special colors. All fans of cats love beautiful fur in animals, its transfusions, play and brilliance of colors at the slightest movement. Maine Coon colors are very diverse, and it is genetically inherent in them. It should be understood that this rock is distinguished by three main types of coloring: spots, marble and stripes.
Character Maine Coons
Before describing the color of cats of this breed, we will talk a little about the character of the Maine Coon. These animals have a talent for communicating with others. They are friends with all households: cats of other breeds, dogs and even rodents and birds. They are sociable and completely non-aggressive. Cat breeders claim that the Maine Coons have the highest intelligence among all the other cat breeds. Externally, the animal is like an impregnable ice cliff, but inside it a fire of love for the owner burns. Maine-coon always considers it its duty to take care of the owner and always be a faithful friend to him. However, its appearance is not as severe as that of other aboriginal breeds. Kids, on the contrary, seem to be angelic creatures. The color of Maine Coon kittens is pronounced, often white and makes them look like soft toys.
Cats of this breed are very large, gaining weight up to ten kilograms. They can “greet” the clawed foot of an aggressive unwary dog, but in most cases the animal is friendly and does not attack anyone. Many are very surprised by the voice of the Maine Coon. Those who hear him for the first time are amazed how this giant can purr so melodiously and softly. Cats of this breed are very smart, quickly adapting to the conditions of life in a large cottage, and in a small apartment. Although, of course, the house with a plot where you can walk freely, Maine Coon will enjoy much more, as, indeed, any cat.
Color Maine Coon cats in pedigree
Novice breeders can not immediately understand the designations that are listed in the catalogs of exhibitions, pedigrees, descriptions of breeds. Abbreviations are denoted by letters and numbers. For example, MCO w22. What does it mean? Breed is indicated by three capital letters. In this case, MSO - Maine Coon. Further, a lowercase letter indicates the color of the coat.
There are a lot of colors in this breed, which means that the letters can be different:
- w - white (white).
- n - black (black).
- a - blue (blue).
- d - red (red).
- e - cream (cream).
- f - tortoiseshell (tortoiseshell).
- g - blue and cream (bluetortie).
If the lowercase letter is only one, then the color is solid, that is, the wool is dyed evenly over the entire length. There may be another letter nearby, for example, ns. This means uneven hair coloring.
Designation of pictures
Maine Coon colors in the catalogs are divided not only by color, but also by drawing. After the lowercase letter, which indicates the color, you can see the numbers. They will mark the pattern on the wool. In our example, the number 22 will denote the marble color: bright eye contour, letter “M” on the muzzle, circular broad streaks on the sides, spots on the stomach, along the ridge of the strip, on the paws and tail ring-shaped stains.
If the number is 23 - this is brindle color. The pattern in this case will be represented by continuous vertical stripes, like that of a mackerel or a tiger (hence the name). 24 - spotted tabby color. Differs intermittent stripes, small spots. The color code may contain additional designations, for example, 09 is white spot. IES n 22 09 - breed Maine-coon, black marble color and white inserts.
If your pet has stripes on its coat, these Maine Coon colors are called brindle, or tabby. All representatives of this color on the face have thin stripes. They circle the eye sockets, and on the forehead form a semblance of the letter "M". On close inspection of wool, alternation of light and dark stripes can be noted, which is called agouti. Breeders consider tabby the original color of this breed. There are four main patterns:
- Tiger - vertical parallel stripes.
- Classic - on the sides of the spiral wide stripes that resemble marble stains. In England, this drawing is called blotched tabby.
- Spotted - the entire body of the cat in intermittent streaks in the form of spots.
- Ticked - otherwise called agouti, or abyssinian. There are no stripes and spots on the body, but on the face there is a drawing and agouti on the body. More often this color in Abissinus cats, sometimes occurs in other breeds. Maine Coon breed does not recognize ticked color.
Tabbies can be of various colors, the color of the stripes and the tip of the tail are important. The color of agouti can vary from deep red to pale blue.
Monochrome maine coons are called solid (solid). They are derived by suppressing the recessive tabby genes. In cases where it is not possible to completely suppress the figure, the shadow fuzzy tabby appears. Considering the black leopard, you can find the contours of the pattern, as there are also suppressed genes. Red or cream colors are not able to suppress tabby as efficiently as possible, these representatives always have a more or less pattern. To get a white monochrome color, a variety of genes that can completely suppress color are affected. Many white kittens initially have some vague shades of stripes on the head due to incomplete depression of color, but with age it usually goes away.
If Maine Coon is black or blue, but it has distinct white roots, it refers to smoke (smoky). In solid cats, the roots of the hair are grayish, in true smoky - only pure white. Smoky - this is one of the monotonous options silver tabby. This is a very impressive and mysterious color. It is especially pleasant to watch such an animal while moving, when the wool is amazingly poured.
Maine-coons of blue color, as well as black (smoke) by hair color are divided into types:
- Chinchillas are colored 1/8 of a hair.
- Shaded - 1/4 part of hair painted.
- Smoky - colored 1/2 part of the hair.
- Black smoke - black with white roots.
- Blue smoke - blue with white roots.
- Silver (chinchilla, or shaded). Born kittens seem white, but when they grow up they change color, becoming silver. White color can only be genetically obtained from white parents. On the tip of silvery ones, there is sometimes a tabby pattern, which disappears in the second month. A sure sign of a silver kitten - green eyes.
- Cream, red, smoky or shaded. White kittens are also born here, in which tipping occurs with time.
With white markings
The white markings are outlined very distinctly in the breed, completely different from the shaded spots of the Siamese. They can appear in any pattern of a Maine Coon cat. Colors from a photo confirm this. To the description of any kind you can add "with white". For example, cream with white or black with white. White spots on the location and size are different, hence the more accurate names of colors.
- White spot on the chest - "with a white medallion."
- On the paws white spots - "with white gloves."
- The presence of several white specks - "with white buttons."
- Half white - “bicolor”.
- White color with large-colored spots is “harlequin”.
- All white, color on the tail and head - "van".
- White chest and paws - "tuxedo". This is an informal definition.
Maine Coon, tortoiseshell color. Tabby with a pattern
If a Maine Coon has the most random and varied combinations of colors, then it is quite possible that he belongs to one of the following colors.
If there is no white color:
- Turtle - all over the body of the animal scattered spots of different colors, except for white (black, cream, red). All of them have different clarity, size.
- Tabby spotted brown resembles leaf fall in the fall - many patches of brown and red. This color is often called torbie.
- Color blue and cream. Across the body random spots of pastel soft tones, cream, blue shades. This color was also called the blue turtle.
- Tabby spotted blue. Soft delicate color, having areas of blue, cream tabby.
Colors with different white marks, the name depends on the amount of white:
- The calico, calico - a lot of white, the more, the clearer the black or red spots appear. As a rule, black - solid, and red - with tabby.
- Tortoise with white, blue-cream with white. On the case of small white spots. Looks like simple tortoise or blue-cream colors.
- Diluted chintz - cream and blue spots throughout the body of the animal. Cream inserts - with tabby, blue - homogeneous.
- Spotted tabby with white spots. There are a lot of white spots on the tabby areas, colored spots are clear, large.