Unicycle in theory and practice
Unicycle is a universal simulator, which allows the rider to develop a sense of balance, coordination of movements. People who prefer to ride on unicycle, much easier to master skiing, walking on a tight rope, snowboard, and also learn to ride on the rear wheel of a normal bike or motorcycle.
Unicycle - what is the name of such a vehicle?
The correct name for a unicycle is a unicycle. When a person hears this definition for the first time, in his imagination usually there is some incredibly complex means of transportation. Although each of us has repeatedly seen the "younger brothers" of modern unicycles during circus performances. Bicycles, which consist of a seat, a pair of pedals, as well as a single wheel and are by definition unicycles.
How difficult is it to ride a unicycle?
Mastering a single-wheeled bike is not much more difficult than usual, especially if a busy cyclist is taking the case. And here only a little depends on the correct balancing. To move the rider, it is necessary to timely parry the periodically occurring deviations, performing a micro-motion by the seat, which acts here as a kind of steering wheel. Management of the pedals also plays a role in changing the position and direction of the movement.
Looking at the device of a unicycle, you might think that it is extremely unsafe to ride such a vehicle. However, in reality, riding a unicycle is several times safer than on two-wheeled bicycles.
What usually happens when the front wheel of a two-wheeled bicycle hits the recess when driving at high speed? Often a rider flies through the steering wheel, after which the weight of the bicycle falls on him with all his strength. Once in this situation, the rider of the unicycle can simply jump off the seat forward, thus continuing the inertial motion. And this happens mechanically, naturally. Therefore, injuries when driving on single-wheeled bicycles get only fans of extreme sports.
The advantages of a unicycle
A single-wheeled bike can become not only a godsend for experienced cycling enthusiasts, who already lack adrenaline. Use this option can be convenient for movement in a crowded city with busy traffic.
Among other things, modern unicycles have the following advantages:
- such bicycles are as compact as possible, which makes it convenient to place them in any free angle;
- if necessary, an improvised bicycle trailer can be made from a unicycle, by reliably attaching it to a two-wheeled model using improvised tools;
- with a unicycle it is possible without any problems to go on a visit, visit shops, cafes, entertainment facilities, office premises, not only take it with you, but also use it in the metro, enter into public transport (and pay for travel with a monocycle is not required, it can be used as a separate part of a full bicycle);
- a unicycle is absolutely safe for its owner, it is necessary to try hard to get injured or injured even at the stage of learning to skate on a unicycle;
- due to the highest maneuverability and low weight, single-wheel bicycle models are safe for pedestrians;
- if desired, you can make a unicycle with your own hands, taking advantage of the old spare parts from the conventional, two-wheeled.
Where is it allowed to ride a unicycle?
Representatives of the traffic police classify unicycle rides as something between an ordinary pedestrian and a vehicle. Officially unicycles do not belong to transport and therefore should not move along public roads, subject to traffic rules established for cars.
To ride in the city line on a unicycle is desirable along the sidewalks, carrying out a careful movement and performing safe maneuvers for surrounding ones.
How to learn to ride a unicycle?
To acquire the skills of confident riding on a single-wheeled bike, training is required. It is desirable to start with the most simple exercises, not forgetting the need to use protective gear: helmet, knee pads, gloves, elbow pads, etc.
Learn how to ride a unicycle is possible thanks to regular training, which consists of several stages:
- First you need to learn to keep your balance. Use for this you can both a modern and an old one-wheeled circus bike. A companion can help to keep the body in an upright position. Alternatively, it is possible to rest on a wall or reliable supports. The main task in this case is the acquisition of the most stable position, being in the seat without moving back and forth.
- As soon as a confident stand is developed, you can proceed to the next stage of training - movement. To start the movement on the unicycle, it is easy enough, practically inconspicuous inclination in the necessary direction. At the same time, start pedaling in the same direction. The speed of movement can be adjusted by touching the tire wheel of the sole of the foot.
- The third stage is training in acceleration, retention of speed and braking. The more the unicycle rider tilts his own body forward, the faster he will have to pedal to keep his balance. A few reduce the speed of the movement will help tilt the hull back. In general, you need to be able to find a balance between body movements and the movement of the unicycle.
Naturally, for confident and even masterly management of a single-wheeled bicycle requires a lot of perseverance, good willpower and, of course, practice. After all, without the presence of special enthusiasm, successive attempts and significant efforts, even to learn how to ride roller can not everyone.