Padlock: what to look for when choosing
What kind of items to protect your home you will not find today on the shelves of stores! But the simplest type of attachment is a padlock. To install it you probably will not need accuracy, special skills and tools.And in everyday use, you do not need special skills - turning the key, and there are no obstacles to access. But this method of protection has one big drawback - low level of protection of the home from burglary. Today this type of protection is used everywhere: to lock suitcases, and to store garden utensils in the barn, and for basements. Traditional locks of this type have semicircular arcs that are inserted into special brackets, one of which is fixed on the door itself and the other on the door jamb.
Any property protection tool has several useful properties, which consumers pay attention to when choosing:
- Reliability, that is, the ability of the lock to function normally during a certain number of turns of the key (the most perfect instances survive hundreds of thousands of turns, and the worst variants are only a few thousand lock-unlocking).
- Anti-vandalism - the ability to resist the desire of intruders to enter the house.
- Replacing the secret part - the cost of manufacturing a key directly depends on the quality of the lock: the higher it is, the more reliable the lock.
- The speed to the opening - the best manufacturers of locks usually indicate such information.
Variety of padlock depending on the material of manufacture
- The most common type of padlocks and the least reliable is the aluminum version.
- Brass options are able to hold out in a critical situation a little more than their counterparts.
- Pig-iron protective structures are considered more reliable, but with strong frosts they become brittle.
- Analogues with the steel case, perhaps, are the best choice: it's best to lock the hinged lock from hacking. The price, of course, will also differ from all others in the big party. Even better, if you acquire a lock with a locking finger, then it will be almost impossible to reach it with a hacksaw.
A study was conducted that revealed that a padlock is much easier to break than a bill of lading or a mortise lock. To overcome this obstacle, the thief will only need scrap and a strong desire to cope with the obstacle. Of course, manufacturers are trying to improve everything, improving security properties. For example, in the market there are steel and even cast-iron analogues of a special form, which protects the padlock from the hacksaw. But still, the number of unauthorized penetrations, unfortunately, only increases.
The fact is that padlocks for one key have their Achilles heel - it's a keyhole. To cope with it, you need a master key, but a professional needs only a few seconds to cope with this obstacle. And if the lock hangs on the door, it is not worth it to break the structure with a crowbar, a sledgehammer or an ordinary cobblestone. Unfortunately, a padlock is unlikely to protect your property from theft. If your goal is security, then it's better to choose the electronic version of the lock.