Conjunctivitis in a cat: symptoms, treatment
It is said that the cat has nine lives. But only those who have never encountered the diseases of these pets can count this. In the life of our pets there are situations when they can not take care of themselves and then come to us with dull eyes, silently asking for help. In this article we will consider an infection that occurs quite often - conjunctivitis in cats. Treatment should begin as soon as possible to prevent the development of a dangerous form of the disease and not to subject the animal to long and painful suffering.
Features of a dangerous infection
The disease is characterized by reddening of the inner part of the eye, which is caused primarily by the allergic predisposition of the body. Also, the course of the pathological process can be affected by the virus or bacteria.
Often there is a contamination of the eye shell as a result of unsanitary conditions or in the usual natural way, when a mote, dust, dirt can get into the mucous of the century. And then, under favorable conditions, microbes begin to multiply, damaging living tissues and provoking the development of a serious stage of the disease, which can threaten all health in general.
In the medical reference book this infection is called conjunctivitis. In a cat, the disease occurs when the eye is injured or as a result of a chronic infectious disease accompanied by a malaise. Conjunctivitis is a type of infection in the upper respiratory tract of animals and can begin at a young age.
Signs of the onset of the disease
Carefully inspect the pet. If you notice the eyes are bright red, then this is most likely conjunctivitis. In cats, symptoms can be expressed in these forms:
- inflammation in places where the infection spreads is accompanied by cutting and burning;
- a constant accumulation of pus in the corners of the eyes;
- eyelashes stick together, especially after sleep;
- runny nose.
There are cases when the infection manifests itself poorly, and it is not easy to recognize it.
Variety of infection
The disease is divided into several species. Let's consider rather often meeting - a purulent conjunctivitis at cats. This type of disease is characterized by a lack of appetite, markedly depressed mood, pain in eye movements, high body temperature.
As a result of infection, a dirty yellow liquid with an unpleasant odor is released, which spreads to both eyes. A pet can have swelling, tearfulness and redness of the eyeball. In addition, an inflammatory process may occur, which will progress further beyond the eye. Therefore, one should not postpone a visit to a veterinarian, it is better to immediately start treating such an unpleasant illness as conjunctivitis in a cat.
At a cat at detection of a purulent infection experts usually recommend to use antibiotics in nyxes, and also to wash eyes with boric acid and to put or render special ointments on the struck places.
So, if you have identified the infection in the initial stages of development, you need to give competent help to a small patient, in order to quickly cure conjunctivitis. In cats, treatment at home can go without additional material costs. An intensive and timely course of therapy will completely restore the animal's health.
There is in the national medicine a large number of different means by which the symptoms will become less pronounced. In inflammatory processes it is useful to make lotions and compresses on the eyes with such medicinal herbs:
- Aloe. Several large sheets are frozen in the refrigerator, then finely chopped and wait for the plant to separate the medicinal juice. Apply a cotton disc moistened with the received liquid to the eyes for 15 minutes. You need to do the procedure 2-3 times a day, for a week, it all depends on the result.
- Chamomile with calendula. Two teaspoons of medicinal herbs pour a glass of boiling water and we insist 20 minutes. When the broth is ready, it must be filtered, then with a moistened cotton pad you need to wash your eyes before going to bed and after awakening. For best effect, it is recommended to make baths.
- Enchantment. Three teaspoons of herbs pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and put on a slow fire. When the broth is ready, you need to strain it and insist 30 minutes. This medicine is used for compresses or daily washing of the eyes.
- Bay leaf. A small amount of stew a glass of boiling water - 200 ml, wait until infused, then cool and strain. This means you should wipe your eyes for a week 3 times a day.
- Another simple method is washing the eyes with tea leaves. Also used warm tea bags are useful to apply to inflamed areas.
With respect to the proportions and daily care tinctures with medicinal herbs after the first use will allow you to see an amazing result.
Various complications in the body
In the case when traditional medicine does not help, and the inflammatory reaction continues and the disease progresses, it is wise to apply to qualified veterinarians to a veterinary hospital. They will conduct an examination and prescribe medications that will ease the condition of your fluff and eliminate the symptoms of such a painful ailment as conjunctivitis. In a cat, treatment for a complex form of infection should be carried out in the fastest and most effective way, otherwise the neglected disease can become an irreversible process that is very dangerous for the life of your pet.
Breeds of cats requiring special attention
One should know that hygiene and prevention of eye diseases should be given special attention to owners of British and Persian cats, as well as sphinxes and exotics. Take care of your pets! Let them avoid such unpleasant illnesses as conjunctivitis. A cat should have a healthy and strong energy to give every day joy and a pleasant company. And this means that you will always have good health and a great mood!