What properties must have a glue for a PVC boat
How many owners of inflatable boats in the world, as much and want to know what to do in case of damage to it. How to seal the resulting incisions and punctures, how to do it qualitatively? Well, nothing is impossible if you know what properties the glue must have for repairing a PVC boat, as well as some methods of its application, without which you can not achieve a good result.
Based on the experience of seasoned "boat piercers", we can say the following:
- In an effort to save money, it is not worth buying cheap glue to repair the boat. It is obvious that the substance contained in such a tube can not be glued together at all. On the other hand, unnecessarily expensive glue for a PVC boat is also unreasonable to acquire, to which to pay more.
- For the high-quality and durable repair of the inflatable boat is not suitable Superglue from a series of cyanoacrylate. With the help of it you can instantly glue anything, but, alas, for a little while.
- In the composition of some types of glue there are special resins that increase stickiness, but worsen the quality. If the dried adhesive film during work strongly adheres to the fingers, it is better not to use this tool for repair.
- The adhesive for the PVC boat must be heat-resistant (the information is indicated on the tube). The fact is that the polyvinyl chloride material is very hot under the sun's rays, so the patch can inadvertently "float away" from the boat at the most inopportune moment. The higher the temperature that the glue used for repair can withstand, the better.
- Special glue is always preferable to universal glue because it takes into account the peculiarities of the materials to be glued.
- The surfaces to be bonded must be absolutely dry, even the air humidity is important for the gluing process.
- To obtain greater strength, the glue for the PVC boat on the bonding site is recommended to warm up to 70 degrees, for example, a hair dryer or a warm iron. The warming increases the plasticisation of the surfaces and effectively activates the adhesive composition, and also avoids the micro-gaps in the seam. Note that some types of glue do not require warming up.
The assortment of specialized glues of domestic and imported production is very diverse, and on each tube and bottle in the most excellent degrees the qualities of the product are praised. However, it should be borne in mind that an ideally suitable glue for a PVC boat is polyurethane, with the help of which it is possible to perform the most thorough and durable repairs. The strength of the joint, if used, sometimes even exceeds the strength of the tissue itself.
Good performance is provided by a two-component adhesive for PVC boats, especially one that grips when heated. It is these compounds that are used for bonding boats in production. As experience of repair works shows, adhesives Desmokol, Vinikol-1520, 900I, Moment, Crystal, and Vinstick are especially effective.
Algorithm of the gluing technique: prepare the glue (mix the two-component in the correct proportion), degrease the bonding area and the patch with acetone, apply a layer of glue on them and maintain the time interval specified in the instructions. Then attach the patch to the site and carefully roll, while warming up. The boat should then be inflated without creating excessive pressure, but only before taking the form, and leave for 1-2 days, so that the glue joint has gained full strength.
That's all the basic wisdom of a small maintenance repair of PVC boats.