How to choose high magnification binoculars: a review and prices
The choice of binoculars should be determined based on its purpose. Tourist optics are very different from hunting optics, and military and naval binoculars with large magnification and night vision are included in the category of special devices. Quality and price, respectively, they are significantly different. The main criteria for any binocular are its size and magnification.
Characteristics of tourist optics
It is not necessary for a tourist to buy binoculars with a very strong approximation. The optimal option will be a 7-10-fold increase. Anything that goes above these figures is very difficult to hold in your hands for a long time, so you will need a tripod.
Binoculars compact with a large magnification of 10 times the size are quite suitable in tourist conditions. It can be a rubberized model that costs an order of magnitude less than waterproof optics. It is important that the device does not take up much space and is well "held" in the hand. If the tourist activity is devoted to observations of nature, then it is preferable to have a light model with a 6-8-fold approximation. This is enough to make the object of observation clearly visible, but could not smell the observer. This category includes binoculars from the company Celestron at a price of 3900 rubles. and Levenhuk with a value of 5390 rubles. and higher.
Usually optics has a numbering of two digits, for example, 7x35 or 10x50, in which the first digit indicates the ability to zoom in this number of times, and the second - the size of the lens in millimeters.
Optics for hunting
For a different type of hunting, you can choose binoculars with a large increase or with an average. The higher the multiplicity, the smaller the survey, so to observe the large game, which can be lured to the chosen place, a pair of binoculars with a 10-15-fold increase will do. It can be mounted on a tripod and sent to the desired direction.
If a large survey is required to cover a forest or river site, then optics with a 4-7-fold approximation with a lens diameter of 25-40 mm will be the best assistant. An important quality for hunting optics is the shockproof and rubberized body, as well as its weight. It is unlikely that a heavy appliance will help with the long-term tracking of game. A good example is the Nikon Aculon T11 8-24 × 25 Zoom at a cost of 11590 r.
Special hunting optics
For hunters, modern industry produces models that were previously only available to the military. These are electronic binoculars with a large magnification. They are based on a laser rangefinder, whose uniqueness lies in the fact that it provides information on the exact distance to the object on the liquid crystal display. This greatly simplifies the possibility of a more accurate sight. Also their obvious plus is the display of a quality image even with very poor visibility or at night. Such binoculars with a large increase - reviews and tips on the forums devoted to hunting equipment, this is confirmed - especially suitable for beginning hunters, whose eyes are still "not shot."
Such devices make an error of just a meter, that an inexperienced "pathfinder" greatly simplifies the chance to qualitatively aim, and a professional - to save on this time.
Binoculars with large magnification are a good helper for sailors and fishermen. In the open sea, the maximum view of the horizon is considered to be the main one, so here the choice should be in the middle link: 7-10 times the approximation is sufficient to get a clear picture of the survey. If you require binoculars for a yacht, you can choose a larger increase with the installation of optics on a tripod.
Binoculars with a large magnification "Nikon" 8x36 or Compass 7 × 50 CF WP (price 22,790 rubles.) Are quite suitable for sea voyages or fishing. All optics of such a plan are made in a waterproof case to protect it from splashes. Prices for marine binoculars are slightly higher than for hunting glasses, but the quality of the resulting image is better. Tactical sea optics is in great demand.
Binoculars with a large increase in the sea can also be tactical, since they are equipped with a rangefinder grid with a compass, which allows you to set up a clear picture even with a strong pitching. Such optics do not sink in the water, as the case is filled with nitrogen. Special lenses with a high level of aperture give good visibility both in clear weather, when there is glare on the water, and during fog or bad lighting.
Binoculars with a large increase in marine dimensions are rather large because of their multiplicity, whereas tactical binoculars have parameters of 7x50, which makes them convenient and compact.
Many marine binoculars are equipped with autofocus, which adjusts both eyepieces simultaneously, which makes them significantly more expensive, but more qualitative. In this case, it is enough to make the adjustment once, so that all objects can be seen clearly when translating attention from one to another.
Observation of space objects has firmly become a hobby category, so the demand for binoculars with a large increase began to grow. For this category, a 10-14-fold approximation is really required. The main thing is that the diameter of the exit pupil is from 3 to 4 mm. This standard corresponds to optics with indicators of 10x35, 10x40, 12x40, 12x50, 14x50.
Instruments from 12x50 to 30x90 are considered specialized, have a narrow view, but give a clear vision of details in space, for example, Celestron Cometron 12 × 70 worth 7490 rubles. Astronomical optics has gone beyond the scope of telescopes, so today one does not surprise anyone with the concept of "binoculars for astronomical observations", although the prices for them are quite high. Binoculars with large magnification are large, so the presence of a tripod is mandatory.
Optics produced in the USSR
In Soviet times, standards for military optics were considered to be the highest in the world. Optical-mechanical plants for its production, such as Zagorsky (B8x30 USSR ZOMZ price 12 000 rubles.). Salavatsky (B10x50 SOMZ, 13 500 rubles). Kazan ("Foton" -7BKFTS 7x35 KOMZ 11 000 rubles.) Are famous for their products, some of which were exported to foreign countries.
All binoculars with a large increase (the USSR produced a lot of them) are still in demand, because they are lower in price than modern optics, but they can even correspond to the highest demand. They differed in purpose: for example, military field and naval binoculars had a grid and a resolution of up to 20x60 mm.
Optics for hunters and tourists is simpler, but it is consistent with its application. Thus, light and small size binoculars of the "Photon" series were popular not only for fans of hiking, fishing or hunting, but also for the coast guard. The resolution of 7x35 mm with multi-layer lens clearing and a rugged body allowed to use them under extreme conditions, in bad weather and at dusk.
Optics with a very large multiplicity
Binoculars with magnification from 100 times have a field of application in astronomical observations or behind animals and birds. By their characteristics, they are close to telescopes, so they require installation on a tripod.
Binoculars made in Russia
Russian optical and mechanical production produces binoculars for both military needs and for mass use. In the Zagorsk enterprise, for example, not only electronic and conventional approximation optics are produced, but also polarization films and light filters that are used for all types of spectrum. Among the large assortment of the plant, you can pick up optics with a range of approach from 15 times. Their field of application is astronomical observations, tourist activities, sea voyages, observation of animals and birds.
Binoculars with a large increase in Russian production, which are used at night, are produced at the Jupiter plant. These devices are suitable for use in complete darkness both for monitoring distant objects and for nearby objects. Specialized instruments of Russian manufacture, for example, binoculars "Farvizhn" BKS 20 × 50 M with stabilization cost 99,900 r. although the usual optics can be purchased from 1500 rubles.
The most important technical characteristics of binoculars
In order to correctly choose an approximate optics, you should focus on the main indicators on which the quality, price and scope of its application depend.
- The most important is the indication of multiplicity. The most optimal and popular are binoculars with an increase from 6-10 times. All that is above already requires either additional efforts and skills of use, or installation on a tripod. The increase of objects from 6 to 10 times is quite enough for the use of such optics in hiking, hunting and fishing, while watching animals. Binoculars with high magnification are not always the best choice if you need an easy assistant in the campaign.
- Next in importance is the diameter of the lens: the higher it is, the clearer and clearer the picture will be. This is because a larger lens collects more light, making distant and dull objects vivid. Field observation binoculars are considered to be sufficient indicators from 30 to 50 mm. If more powerful optics are required, for example, for astronomical observations, the diameter can reach from 50 to 80 mm and even higher. Optimal ground binoculars have the parameters 7x35, 7x42, 8x40, and at 10x50 for long-term observation already requires a tripod.
Based on these data, you can choose the optics according to your preferences, but there are still indicators that affect its quality and price.
More expensive binoculars have autofocus, a special mesh or laser range finder. Electronic optics with a rangefinder is in the most expensive segment of the market. These are the most accurate instruments with a quick adjustment of two eyepieces simultaneously.
Manual focus is made independently, and if the binoculars is equipped with a diopter adjustment, it can be made even for people with myopia and farsightedness. A new generation of optics provides a fixed focus for those cases where there is no time to adjust. Similar devices are used by firemen, rescuers, hunters, pursuing prey.
The angle of view and the diameter of the exit pupil
These parameters also affect the price of the binoculars and the scope of its use.
- The angle of view indicates the distance that the person's eye covers through the binoculars. The higher the multiplicity, the less the person sees. Optics with a very high approximation, with indicators such as 30 and above, requires a certain focus on the object. Whereas a shorter range gives a broad view that allows them to be used both on water, in the field or in the mountains. This kind of binoculars is called large-scale. To determine this indicator manufacturers specify the width of the field of view in meters, for example, 110/1000 m, which means a survey of 110 m with an object range of 1000 meters.
- The best indicator of the diameter of the exit pupil is an indicator that is close to the size of the human pupil, that is, in the daytime it is 2-3 mm, and in the night time 6-8 mm. Therefore, a generally accepted standard is the data of 5-7 mm. To determine the diameter of the exit pupil, it is necessary to divide the size of the objective into its multiplicity. For example, binoculars with an index of 7x35 have an exit pupil of 5 mm (35: 7 = 5). At higher rates, the light will not be fully accepted by the human eye, and, accordingly, visibility will be worse.
Binoculars are also distributed according to what the lenses are made of. They can be lens and prismatic. The first concerns theatrical optics, to the second - all field devices.
Prism optics is divided into two systems:
- Porro, in honor of the optician from France, in which the lens and lens are distributed in successive steps, which expands the perspective of the review and gives a clear picture.
- The Rufus system is a prism with two faces arranged at an angle to each other. Such optics are more compact and light, but expensive because of the complexity of polishing and prisms polishing.
Thus, before you make a selection of binoculars, you should select several starting points for orientation in a large range of this product:
- purpose of binoculars;
- focused or large-scale;
- approximation multiplicity;
- type of focusing;
- country manufacturer and brand;
- approximate price.
Having given answers on these points, it is easier to make a purchase, which will not bring disappointment and disappointment.