How to teach a puppy to a leash: features, recommendations of experts and reviews
Everyone who starts a dog, you need to know in advance how to teach a puppy to a leash. This is the most important skill, especially for those pets who live in the city. It is the leash that will help the owner to control the puppy, not to let him get lost, to protect him from cars and other dogs. Many inexperienced owners are frightened by the need to teach a pet, they do not cope, and as a result, an adult dog is uncontrollable. This is especially dangerous for large breeds, so it is very important, for example, to teach a shepherd puppy to a leash from an early age.
How to choose the right gear
Before you buy a puppy, you need to buy a lot of things for him: a bowl, toys, a place, care items, as well as a collar and a leash. Ammunition is necessary for a dog, as she will walk every day, and in the city it is impossible without her. Therefore, it is very important immediately after purchase to teach a puppy to a collar, leash, harness, muzzle or other objects with which he will encounter constantly. In order to make the baby’s learning process easier and the ammunition didn’t give him any unpleasant feelings, you need to choose it correctly.
For dogs of different breeds different collars and leashes are used: from tarpaulin, leather, nylon, metal. But for all puppies, regardless of who he grows up to, experts recommend sticking to the same rules when selecting ammunition:
- The collar for the first time, the baby needs a soft and light, so that it does not rub and do not interfere.
- It is better to teach a puppy to walk first in a harness, it is safer for him and easier to train him, but at the same time you need to train him to the collar.
- A leash for starters should be taken short - up to one and a half meters; when training, you should avoid self-pulling leashes in the form of a tape measure, heavy canvas and slippery silk cords.
- After the purchase, the new ammunition should lie for a while in the house, better in a well-ventilated room, so that artificial odors are gone.
- Before putting a collar and a leash on a puppy, you must first introduce your child to them, he should smell, but not play with these objects.
The main thing in the question of how to teach a puppy to a leash is not to cause negative associations with this subject. The whole process of training should be based on the game and affection. The host is very important to show patience and perseverance, and then the described question will soon cease to be relevant. To make this happen faster, you can refer to the advice of experienced canine.
- To solve the problem, how to teach a puppy to a leash, you need to, when he turns 1.5-2 months. At this time, it is easier for him to get used to unfamiliar objects. An older dog will be much more difficult to train.
- It is necessary to put a collar and a leash on a puppy when he has already become acquainted with these objects and has ceased to show interest in them.
- The first days of ammunition should be on the baby only a few minutes. It is desirable for this time to distract the puppy game.
- The learning process should be gradual. After a few days, the puppy will calmly respond to the collar, stop noticing it. Then you can leave it on the neck of the baby for a longer time.
- Only after that it is necessary to fasten a leash to the collar. It should hang freely, and that the baby does not play with him, you need to distract him.
- You can speed up the learning process with the help of treats and affection. Only in this way, and not from fear the puppy will quickly get used to the collar and leash.
Learning at home
It is not recommended to go out with the puppy right away. First you need to practice walking with him on a leash around the house. In this case, you can not strongly pull the puppy and pull it. The leash should hang freely, only from time to time it should be slightly tensioned. It is desirable that another family member join the training. He should summon the puppy to himself, encouraging him when he comes up.
It is very important at this time to learn how to properly wear a collar. It can not be strongly tightened - between the neck of the dog and the ammunition should include two fingers. But he should not be free, otherwise the puppy will simply remove him. The owner during training at home, you must also learn to adjust the length of the leash. While you should not use a tape measure, it is important to be able to quickly shorten the leash when there is danger, or to dissolve it, to give the dog a run.
How to teach a puppy to walk on a leash
After the baby quietly walks in the collar and leash around the house, you can go out with him. On a walk you need to immediately teach the dog to go for the owner, and not pull him along. Gently, without jerking, using a toy or a treat, you need to send it where you want.
It is especially important to know how to teach a puppy to walk on a leash to owners of large dogs. Already at this age they should understand that they need to go after the owner and obey at the slightest tension of the leash. Walking around you can begin to learn after three months, before the kid simply does not understand this.
The importance of encouraging when training a puppy
According to reviews, to teach a dog something is possible only with the help of affection and patience. This rule must be learned by all who are interested in how to teach a puppy to a leash. In the process of learning worth using delicacies, favorite toys, stroking.
When the puppy comes up at the call of the owner, he must be praised. But you can not give a treat, if the dog has not fulfilled the requirement, rests or tries to escape. In this case, you can only distract the puppy with toys. Talking with a dog in disobedience is necessary in a calm but stern voice. Do not abuse delicacies, otherwise the dog may overeat.
What to do when training a puppy
Inexperienced owners often make mistakes when training dogs. They are either too strict or very sorry for the baby, without perseverance.
To easily teach a puppy to walk on a leash, you need to know what you can not do while:
- In no case should not allow the dog to play with a leash and collar, bite them.
- Do not use a leash as a punishment.
- You can not allow him to bite and scratch while putting on a collar, if the puppy is too excited, it is better to postpone the learning process and let it calm down.
- It is unacceptable at first to leave the baby in the collar unattended, be sure to play with him, distracting from the new object.
- You can not pull the puppy for a leash, when he rests, it is better to lure him with a treat or a toy.
- It is not recommended to shout, scold and punish the baby in the learning process.
- You can not completely ignore the desire of the puppy to play, forcing him to go near.
- It is not necessary for small dogs to use shock collars and “storky”, they are needed only in special cases.
As the dog owners say, with the right behavior of the owner, the puppy quickly understands what is required of him. If time is lost or the dog is out of control, it is better to seek help from a professional dog handler. But it is necessary to accustom the pet to the leash.