How to teach a puppy to a leash: features, recommendations of specialists and feedback
Everyone who starts a dog, you need to know in advance how to accustom the puppy to the leash. This is the most important skill, especially for those pets who live in the city. It is the leash that will help the owner to control the puppy, not to let him get lost, guard from cars and other dogs. Many inexperienced owners are frightened by the need to learn a pet, they can not cope, and as a result, an adult dog turns out to be uncontrollable. This is especially dangerous for large breeds, so it is very important, for example, to train a shepherd puppy to a leash from an early age.
How to choose the right ammunition
Before buying a puppy, you need to buy a lot of things for him: a bowl, toys, a place, items for grooming, as well as a collar and leash. Ammunition is necessary for a dog, as it will walk daily, and in a city without it it is impossible. Therefore, it is very important to immediately after the purchase accustom the puppy to the collar, leash, harness, muzzle or other objects with which he will constantly face. In order for the learning process of the baby to flow easier and the ammunition does not give him unpleasant sensations, you need to choose it correctly.
For dogs of different breeds different collars and leashes are used: from canvas, leather, nylon, metal. But for all puppies, regardless of who he grows up, experts recommend that they follow the same rules when selecting ammunition:
- The collar for the first time baby needs a soft and light so that it does not rub or interfere.
- Puppy is better to first get used to walking in a harness, it's safer for him and easier to train, but in parallel you need to train and to the collar.
- Leash for a start should take a short one - up to one and a half meters, while training should avoid self-pulling leashes in the form of a tape measure, heavy canvas and slippery silk cords.
- After buying a new ammunition should lie in the house for a while, preferably in a well-ventilated room, so that the artificial smells are gone.
- Before putting on a puppy's collar and leash, you must first acquaint the baby with them, he should sniff, but do not play with these objects.
The main thing in the question of how to accustom a puppy to a leash is not to cause negative associations with this subject. The whole process of training should be based on play and affection. The owner is very important to show patience and persistence, and then the described issue will soon cease to be relevant. To make this happen more quickly, you can refer to the advice of experienced dog handlers.
- To solve a problem how to accustom puppy to a lead, it is necessary, when to it 1,5-2 months will be executed. At this time it is easier for him to get used to unfamiliar subjects. A more adult dog will be much harder to train.
- To put on a puppy a collar and a leash is necessary, when he has already become acquainted with these objects and has ceased to show interest to them.
- The first days of ammunition should be on the baby only a few minutes. It is advisable for this time to distract the puppy by playing.
- The learning process should be gradual. In a few days the puppy will react calmly to the collar, stop noticing it. Then you can leave it on the baby's neck for a longer time.
- Only after this it is necessary to fasten the leash to the collar. He must hang freely, and that the kid does not play with him, you need to distract him.
- To speed up the learning process it is possible with the help of delicacy and affection. Only in this way, and not because of fear, the puppy will quickly get used to the collar and leash.
Teaching at home
It is not recommended to immediately go out with the puppy on the street. First you need to practice walking with him on a leash around the house. In this case, you can not pull the puppy and pull it. Leave should hang freely, only from time to time it needs to be slightly pulled. It is desirable that another family member joins the training. He should call the puppy to him, encouraging him when he comes up.
It is very important at this time to learn how to properly wear a collar. You can not tighten it strongly - between the neck of the dog and ammunition should include two fingers. But he must not be free, otherwise the puppy will simply take it off. The owner during training at home should also learn how to adjust the length of the leash. While it is not worth using roulette, it is important to be able to quickly shorten the leash when there is a danger nearby, or to disband it to allow the dog to run.
How to train a puppy to walk on a leash
After the baby quietly walks in a collar and leash around the house, you can go out with him on the street. For a walk, one should at once learn the dog to walk behind the master, and not pull it with him. Softly, without jerking, using a toy or a treat, you need to send it where you want.
It is especially important to know how to teach a puppy to walk on a leash, to owners of large dogs. At this age they must understand that it is necessary to follow the master and obey at the slightest tension of the leash. Walk near you can start to teach after three months, before the baby just does not understand.
Importance of encouragement when teaching a puppy
According to reviews, you can teach a dog something only with the help of caress and patience. This rule must be learned by anyone who is interested in how to teach the puppy to leash. In the process of training it is necessary to use delicacies, favorite toys, stroking.
When the puppy approaches the call of the owner, it must be praised. But you can not give a treat if the dog does not fulfill the requirement, rests or tries to break away. In this case, you can only distract the puppy with toys. Talking with a dog with disobedience is necessary in a calm but strict voice. Do not abuse delicacies, otherwise the dog can overeat.
What can not be done while teaching a puppy
Inexperienced owners often make mistakes when training dogs. They are either unnecessarily strict, or very sorry for the baby, without showing perseverance.
To easily teach a puppy to walk on a leash, you need to know what can not be done with this:
- In no case should the dog be allowed to play with a leash and a collar, chewing them.
- Do not use a leash as a punishment.
- You can not allow him to bite and scratch when putting on the collar, but if the puppy is too excited, it is better to postpone the learning process and let it calm down.
- It is inadmissible for the first time to leave the baby in the collar unattended, always play with it, distracting from the new object.
- You can not pull the puppy by the leash, when he rests, it is better to lure him with a treat or toy.
- It is not recommended to scream, scold and punish the baby during the training.
- You can not completely ignore the desire of the puppy to play, forcing him to go near.
- It is not necessary for a small dog to use collars-shockers and "straggators", they are needed only in special cases.
As the owners of dogs note, with the proper behavior of the owner, the puppy quickly understands what is required of him. If time is lost or the dog is uncontrollable, it is better to seek help from a professional cynologist. But it is necessary to teach the pet to the leash.