How to reflash doll hair: master class, step by step instruction and recommendations
Sometimes it happens that the beloved doll, sort of still good in appearance, from time or someone else's efforts is rapidly bald. So it happened with your favorite? Puppet ringlets crumpled and do not give in to combing? No problem. Everything can be corrected. In this article, we'll talk about how to flash the doll's hair. The master class for this type of repair is quite simple. You will need not so much skills, as much perseverance and patience. So, we begin.
What, what for and why
Many modern toys, despite their external appeal and good quality, have one significant drawback - not too thick hair. And this is not only the sin of domestic copies, but also dolls of foreign producers. More often than not too "hairy" head creates serious problems. After all, the gameplay is not only in changing the favorite in various outfits. Particular attention is given to hair.
Sometimes already in the adult age needlewomen would like to reanimate their old Soviet toys. After all, they are a bridge to a happy, carefree childhood. One look at your beloved doll evokes pleasant emotions and an aching sense of nostalgia.
That's why the master class on the hair of the Soviet doll becomes very popular among modern needlewomen. Let's take a closer look at the process of hair replacement, study the features and discuss some options.
Materials and Tools
Before you pierce the doll's hair, you should prepare the materials and tools you need in the process.
To do this you will need:
- The doll itself, or rather, only her head.
- Hook knitting (the thinnest you can find).
- Special "puppet" needle. If you do not have one, it does not matter. It can be replaced with the usual "Gypsy" - very long, strong and thin, with a large capacious eyelet. Best if it's a needle for embroidery. Its tab is elongated and it will be much more convenient to work.
- Scrunchy for hair.
- Material for making new hair.
From what you can make new hair
Even before the doll is reshaped, it is worthwhile to think carefully about what material the new hairstyle will be made of. It is on this depends the complexity of the work and the beauty of the future laying of the doll fashionista.
As an expendable material for a new head of hair, you can use:
- nylon threads;
- a fiber thread;
- wool of a llama;
- hair from a donor doll, which is no longer subject to restoration;
- hair from an inexpensive human wig;
- new Year's wigs from the store of holiday attributes.
How to reflash a doll hair: thread, wool or other material - depends only on you. Just remember that the choice will depend not only on the complexity and speed of work, but also the appearance of the pupa itself. As you know, the artificial material looks unnatural.
We remove unnecessary
Before you change the doll hair, you need to clear the field of activity. That is to completely rid the toy of the old hairstyle. To do this, take the doll and place it under a jet of very hot water. The place where the neck connects to the head needs to be warmed. From heating, the junction will soften, and it will be much easier for you to detach the head from the torso.
Now get rid of unnecessary. If the hair you still need from the doll, you will have to tinker. It is necessary to take one string, clamp it with pliers and pull it hard until the bundle gets out of the fastener.
If the remaining head of value does not represent, everything becomes much easier. Just cut off all the scissors, trying to cut the strands as close as possible to the skull of the doll. Now take the hook and tweezers and through the neck opening, "scrape" the remnants of hair from inside the head. Repeat the procedure until the skull of the pupa becomes absolutely bald.
Tip: if you are going to rediscover the face of a toy - it's time to get rid of the old paint. You can also erase the dye from the scalp of the pupa. Especially if the new head of hair is lighter than the old one.
The next stage of work is the preparation of new strands. If you decide to use nylon threads, they need to be dissolved, spread and steamed, so that they do not "fluff". Woolen curls need to be combed beforehand and aligned along the length. You also need to do the same with other materials.
For the simplest "knotted" weaving, the strands must be prepared as follows:
- separate from the general bundle a thin prjadku (approximately 12-15 volosinki) and level tips on one party;
- now, at this end, tie a knot in such a way that the tail remains about 7-10 mm;
- lubricate the knot with glue or silicone sealant - this is necessary to ensure that during work, he does not accidentally untie;
- wait until the glue dries completely and cut the short tip as close as possible to the knot (make sure that it does not untie).
There is one more way. It is much simpler, but has a significant drawback - an unpleasant smell when working. The essence of it is this:
- separate the small string and straighten the hairs from one end;
- with the lighter light the tip of the strand;
- watch out for burning;
- synthetics are melted and converted into a ball, when its diameter reaches about 2-3 mm - extinguish the fire;
- when the strand cools, a solid melted ball is formed at its end - this connection will not exactly untie.
As you already understood, this method is suitable only for strands of synthetic materials. Natural wool does not melt, it will burn completely.
How many hairs are needed
In order to continue the process without stopping, before you can refashion the doll's hair, you need to prepare a sufficient number of strands.
And how many do they need? It all depends on how great the head of the doll is and how thick the head of hair you want to get.
The simplest way is to count the holes on the head of the toy or to prepare the material in parts as necessary. Usually about 10-15 strands are needed for the central part of the head, 25 to 50 beams are placed along the outer perimeter. For the rest of the head, 30-40 workpieces will also be needed.
Step Three: Stitch Strands
So we went directly to sewing. In fact, everything is not so difficult, as it may seem at first glance. After completing the operation several times, you will adjust, and further work will go by itself.
- Take one strand-workpiece and moisten it with water a little. This is necessary to ensure that the hairs do not tumble and the hair is neat.
- We take the needle and pass the strand in the ear in such a way that two free ends are obtained, on one of which a knot is fixed.
- Through the hole in the neck, grope for the desired hole in the doll's head. Sew a hole through and pull out the strand from the front side. A knot will not let you pull the lock completely, it will remain invisible inside the head.
Repeat the operation as many times as necessary.
Each individual strike into your hole. If on the head of the doll there are factory "bald head" - too large gaps between adjacent holes - use the awl. With its help, puncture as many additional holes as necessary for a beautiful hairstyle. To free strands do not interfere with the work - tie them into tails with elastic bands.
A few more ways
There are at least two more ways to reflash the doll. One of them is suitable for those who do not have a needle of sufficient length and the above method is not suitable. Its essence lies in the fact that the whole process of sewing occurs only from the outside of the head.
- Take a strand twice as long as needed.
- Lightly moisten it and tie it with a kneader exactly in the middle. A knot can be slightly greased with glue, so as not to untie.
- Put one end of the strand in the eye of the needle.
- On the outside of the head, insert the needle into any hole and immediately pull it into the adjacent or any other hole. That is, you seem to be piercing the whole head through, from end to end. If you pull out the needle is problematic - help yourself with pliers.
- Loosen a strand of hair and gently but firmly pull it in such a way that the knot slips through the hole and remains inside the head.
This method is much faster, because in one move you get two new strands at once.
There is another option, how to flip the doll hair. It will suit those toys, in which the head is arranged in such a way that the hairy part is removed. It turns out like a semicircular cap with holes. Most often, the old Soviet dolls are arranged like this.
For this method, you only need a thin, but very strong hook, since we will knit a new hairstyle:
- take the right amount of strands of double length, moisten them with water and fold them in half;
- we insert the hook with the movement "from the inside to the outside", inserting it into the central hole on the thread;
- grab a lock and a little drag it inside the "cap", we get a small loop;
- now without removing the loop from the hook, we introduce it into the adjacent hole;
- grab a new strand and tighten it inward, stretching it simultaneously through the hole and already available on the hook loop;
- continue the operation, moving in a circle from the center to the edges.
If you did everything correctly, then from inside the head of the doll will look as if it was asked with a tambour seam.
At the same time, you will get a luxurious head of hair on the outside. The last loop should be fixed with the help of an additional thread, threaded into two adjacent holes. Tie the ends of the thread to several knots. A new hairstyle is ready, you can put your head back on.
After the new head of hair is completed, we proceed to styling. If the hair dolls are made of wool, they just need to gently comb.
To lay hair made of wigs or factory strands from another toy, you can use hot tap water. Wet the doll's head and style the hair with the comb.
If you used a kanekalon or fibrous threads to restore the doll, you can style your hair with boiling water. Simply shave the hair dolls from a boiling kettle, they will become soft and obedient.
Attention! In order not to spoil the toy, for the beginning, pour boiled water separately taken after restorations, and observe the reaction. Some materials may lose color or even melt away from the effects of boiling water.
First, flashing and styling puppet hair can seem very complicated. But, after a little training, you will certainly master this simple art.