How to teach a child to drink from a mug: tips and tricks
The attachment of the child to the nipples and bottles suggests that it is so comfortable for him, because they are associated with his mother. The kid feels safe, so he does not want to move on to another way of drinking. We'll talk about how to teach a child to drink from the mug on his own to avoid the unpleasant consequences of the constant use of the bottle.
What causes a long nipple application?
You can often notice children who drink tea or other drinks from a bottle with a pacifier. Many parents, thinking that their baby is so comfortable, do not insist on changing this habit, which is a big mistake.
Procrastination with the weaning of the baby from the nipple threatens with such problems in the future:
- Improper development of bite.
- Problems with the development of teeth.
- Bottle caries.
- The lack of independence of the baby.
Remember that the question of how to teach a child to drink from a cup is raised by many doctors who talk about the need to select the right dishes. It is important to pay attention to the cup, which will be the first for the baby. Properly selected dishes for children - this is half the success.
Difficulties that may arise
Young children are very stubborn, they often react to many factors quite differently from what we expect of them. They do not understand the pernicious effects of drinking from a bottle, but this is not the only difficulty you will come across.
So, remember these points:
- If your child eats drinks from a cup of juice, this does not mean that he will freely drink milk.
- If the children of friends and girlfriends went to the cup without any problems, this does not mean that your baby will not face difficulties.
- Forget about the fact that the older the child, the easier it is to teach him. It is a myth.
- It is often my mother's fault that the baby does not recognize the cup. She believes that the child will not drink enough milk from the mug and abuse the pacifier.
- Do not require the child to immediately fulfill your desires. He just does not understand you.
Children's circles are not all the same. Pay special attention to the first cup of your baby.
What should be the dishes for babies
Dumplings for children differ in color, shape, size, material of manufacture and many other factors. When choosing a cup for a child, remember the following points:
- Choose a mug that will appeal to the baby's appearance. It should be bright, beautiful, conspicuous, so that the child becomes interested in a new subject.
- The dishes should be comfortable first of all for the baby. It is possible that you will have to buy more than one cup to please the child.
- Perhaps your child will prefer a non-spillable mug. Let him do it, as this dish will become a transitional stage to a full cup.
To without any problems and nerves to wean the baby from the nipple, be patient. Do not show your child irritability, otherwise he may be afraid to take a cup in his hands, and you will become a frightening factor for him.
Children's dishes differ from adults. It should be comfortable for the child, not for the parents. In addition, the dishes should be made of unbreakable materials, light in weight and non-toxic. Please note: cheap goods are often substandard. Pick up the baby dishes, in the properties of which you will be sure.
How to teach a child to drink from a mug
In order for the baby to switch to drinking from a mug without any problems, follow this sequence of actions:
- At 7 months, ask the child to give up the nipple. Even if you were breastfeeding, do not offer him a pacifier, just go to the cup.
- Show your child on his example how to drink from a cup.
- Bring the mug to the child's mouth and tilt it slightly so that the baby can take a small sip.
- If the child shows a desire to take the cup in his hands and drink on his own, let him do it. Kids love to experiment, this is the best learning tool.
- Do not scold the child if he accidentally pours the liquid out of the cup, because he is just learning.
- If the baby did not finish the liquid, do not worry. Give him a drink from the same mug when he is thirsty again.
- Praise a baby is a must. Praise and distract from the nipples so that he does not return to thoughts about her.
If the child periodically does not drink up the liquid from the cup, you do not need to add it to the nipple. Take a mug and, with your own hands, bring it to the mouth of the child so that it will drink all the contents.
What you can not do
Kids cups are designed exclusively for children. Remember that you can’t feed a child from your mug. This is the first rule. Besides:
- In no case do not wait for a convenient moment to get to know the baby with a cup. The optimal age is 7 months. If a child is 2 years old and he still does not know what a cup is, it threatens with serious health problems, as well as severe hysterics of the child when trying to take away his pacifier.
- Never let yourself drink the baby from the bottle. The principle of comparison will work. The child will see that drinking with the help of the nipple is more convenient, that he is allowed to drink from the bottle. Over time, the baby will not drink from the cup at all.
- Often we see how children under 3 years of age carry a bottle with them everywhere. Do not let the child do this. It is difficult to get rid of this habit. It will be hard for you and the child to be morally.
- You can not give one drink from a cup, and the second from a bottle. You do not want the baby to drink juice willingly, but categorically refused milk? Separating drinks, you create a conditioned reflex in the subconscious of the child that juice is a cup, and milk is a bottle, and nothing else. Without hysterics in this case can not do.
Children's circles are different. Let's talk about such a variety, as neprolivika.
A little bit about the non-spill cup
When trying to teach a baby to drink from a mug, buy a non-spillable cup, which is a very convenient helper. The fact is that any liquid pours out of it in such a way that the baby does not choke or choke. It flows very slowly, so the child can use this mug on his own.
But remember that non-spillage is one of the periods of a child's development. Once he learns to drink well from it, you need to replace it with a regular mug. Do not over tighten so that the baby is not used to it. In the opposite case, the effect will be the same as with the nipple. The child will get used to the unpolled and will not want to give up a convenient drinker.
Is it possible to acquaint a child with a cup before 7 months
Many parents tend to develop their child from an early age, so the question arises of the early teaching of the baby to the cup. The dishes for children are designed for babies of the earliest period, so there is no clear restriction in the age. Moreover, many doctors insist that it will be possible to accustom the kid to a mug more effectively if you start doing this from 5 months.
The fact is that at this age children are very inquisitive. They are interested in everything new, so new dishes will undoubtedly have to their liking. The right step on your part will be to give the child a beautiful bright cup in his hands, so that he looks at it and holds it in his hands, perhaps played with it. So he will get used to a new subject and will no longer react to it unexpectedly.
Dr. Komarovsky about children's cups
The recommendations of the experienced pediatrician Komarovsky, as a rule, help mothers cope with the difficulties in raising children. On the request to give advice on how to teach a child to drink from a mug, Komarovsky made several remarks, among which the following:
- If you delay the habituation of the baby to the cup, then by 10 months the child will not want to drink from it.
- Little children have a habit of pulling any objects into their mouths, use this to give them a drink.
- The kid can repeat some actions after adults, showing that he himself is an adult. Drink from a cup with him to make him feel older.
- It happens that the child does not want to drink from the usual dishes, but it willingly makes a new beautiful mug.
- The baby will not be able to take a few sips at once, take it calmly. At best, he will learn this after six months.
- In no case do not try to force the child to drink from a cup. This will not lead to good consequences, but it will perfectly settle in the child aversion to the circles.
- Dumplings for children can be purchased in children's shops or on the Internet. The main thing is for the cup to please your child.
Thus, the instruction of the child to the circle is a gradual process. Stock up with patience and understanding, and soon your child will start drinking from the drinker and delighting you with the results.