Effective pain relievers for dogs: list, instructions for use and reviews
Sometimes our pets need help. They can also get sick, get a fracture, dislocate the joint and so on. We are not always in a hurry to alleviate the suffering of our friend, thinking that the ailment will pass by itself. But in some cases, an anesthetic for a dog is simply necessary. In this article, we'll figure out what you can give your pet, and what to do is strictly prohibited.
How to understand that an anesthetic is necessary
The most important rule of treating animal drugs is that it is never up to you to decide on their own application. The fact is that many drugs intended for humans, for dogs can be the most real poison. And often after their adoption, there is not even time to save the animal. Therefore, before using painkillers for dogs, consult a specialist. In the cities there are clinics and veterinary pharmacies, many of them are round the clock. In addition, there are special services for calling a veterinarian at home - a kind of ambulance for animals.
Painkillers for the dog should be prescribed by the doctor based on the health of the pet, the degree of pain and the injuries received. If you have a fear that the dog is malaise, does not eat or drink well, moves little, whimpers and hides, boldly go to the doctor.
Types of Painkillers
Painkillers for dogs exist in different types and ways of impact. Each type is designed for a specific symptom and source of pain. There are the following types of drugs:
- Nutraceuticals are an anesthetic for dogs, made from natural ingredients. The composition includes various fats of vegetable or animal origin, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants. This type is considered the safest and harmless for animals. These drugs have virtually no side effects, and they are prescribed mainly for pain in the joints.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Reviews of dog owners say that these are more effective drugs. They relieve pain syndrome much faster than nutraceuticals. They include "Ibuprofen", "Aspirin", "Neprosen". However, if the dosage is incorrect, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and lack of appetite.
- Steroid drugs are also prescribed to dogs for pain relief. However, they have an even longer list of possible complications, besides, their independent use is strongly discouraged.
- Narcotic substances and opioids are used in the most extreme situations. Such pain relievers for dogs are shown, for example, in urgent surgical interventions.
Specialized products for dogs
On sale there are not too many specialized pain relievers for dogs. Veterinary pharmacies are limited to a list of four names. These are Novoks, Rimadil, Deracoxib, Meloksikam. All of them belong to non-steroidal drugs. Dog breeders note that these drugs do not cause side effects if used correctly. However, in special cases can cause problems with digestion, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, peptic ulcer and so on.
What an anesthetic can be given to a dog, the veterinarian should decide. From steroid preparations for four-legged in veterinary drugstores, you can find the following names: "Amantadine", "Gabapentin" and "Tramadol".
Has analgesic effect, relieves inflammation and fever. Assigned to animals with acute diseases of the musculoskeletal system (arthritis). It is often used in the postoperative period to prevent inflammation and swelling. The daily dose for an adult animal is 40 mg per kilogram of body weight. The dose is divided into two doses, a week after the start of the course, it is halved. Two weeks after the beginning of the course, the dog must necessarily examine the doctor. Owners of four-legged argue that there are almost no side effects from the drug, but occasionally irritation of the mucous membranes and vomiting can occur. A dog may have an individual intolerance to the main active ingredient.
Do not give the drug to the grown-up bitches and puppies. Precautions are prescribed if the animal has liver, kidney and heart disease. The cost of a bottle with thirty tablets fluctuates around 800-900 rubles. Reviews of the drug note that after taking the animal may begin diarrhea. In this case, you should cancel the medicine.
The preparation is prepared as a suspension for oral administration. The trade name is "Loksikam". Has a pronounced analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory effect. Anesthetics are prescribed for dogs of all breeds and cats with chronic pain in the locomotor apparatus (arthritis, arthrosis, dislocations, fractures), with soft tissue damage, in the postoperative period. Contraindicated in peptic ulcer diseases of the stomach and duodenum, with individual intolerance, pronounced renal and hepatic insufficiency and hemorrhagic syndrome.
It is not used for the treatment of pregnant and lactating females, puppies and kittens younger than six weeks, and also in conditions of dehydration. The drug is given to the animals once a day during feeding. On the first day, 0.2 mg per kilogram of animal weight is given, in subsequent - 0.1 mg.
Steroid preparations for dogs
What kind of pain medication can be given to a dog is determined by a veterinarian. Steroid drugs are prescribed rarely, as often they are not necessary or the side effects are so undesirable that the use of the drug is impossible. These include the following pain killers for dogs:
- "Amantadine" - helps to block the pain. For dogs, it is prescribed as a remedy for the treatment of arthritis, various diseases of the spine and cancer. When it is used, diarrhea is often observed.
- "Gabapentin". It is used for pain as a result of damage to nerve endings. Causes drowsiness in the first few days of use, then the dog gets used to this effect. It is usually prescribed in a complex of medicines.
- "Tramadol" is a mild anesthetic. This drug is prescribed for elderly dogs, who feel chronic malaise due to age.
Action in emergency situations
If local application of analgesics is required, "Ledocaine" is used. The preferred dosage form is in the form of a spray. In an emergency situation (for example, fracture), when there is not a single veterinary pharmacy nearby, the dog can be given a regular tablet of "Analgin." The calculation is based on the ratio of one tablet to twenty kilograms of weight. In no case should dogs be given the following types of medications: Diclofenac, Ketorolac, Indomethacin. For dogs, they are a deadly poison, cause severe damage to the liver and digestive system, affect the nervous system.