What is pasteurization? Methods of heat treatment of storage tanks for preservation
What is pasteurization? It is possible to store the products in glass jars for as long as possible after sterilizing the containers beforehand. To ensure that the blanks do not deteriorate, you need not only to follow the formula exactly, but also to know how to prepare the packaging by cleaning it of contaminants and microorganisms.
What is pasteurization of cans and what is it required for?
The method involves cleaning the containers for preserving the products under the influence of high temperature. They resort to such actions in order to destroy microorganisms. The development of the latter in a sealed glass container can lead to a rapid deterioration of food.
What are the conditions for pasteurization? In order to achieve the desired effect, the storage tank must be pre-heated at a temperature of at least 85 ° C. For complete destruction of bacteria, the vital activity of which can lead to spoilage of the products, the banks must be heated for a long time. To monitor the required indicators, you usually use a thermometer, raising and lowering the temperature, which allows you to achieve this goal.
Pasteurization of cans with and without billets is a reliable solution for long-term storage of preserves in a cellar, a refrigerator. Let's find out how to properly prepare glass containers.
One of the simplest and most accessible ways is to prepare glass containers for blockage of conservation using a conventional pan. What does the method suggest? On a pot filled with warm water, a metal lattice, a sieve, any other convenient device with holes is laid. Here are placed cans that are turned upside down.
What is steam pasteurization? The essence of the method is to boil water, which evenly divides the tank with steam from the bottom up. Last such heat treatment should be at least for 15 minutes. At the end, the jars must be removed from the grill, arranged inverted on a clean towel.
An effective solution is pre-calcination of glass containers for preservation in an oven. After thorough washing and rinsing, the wet jars are placed in a preheated oven. Here, a temperature of about 160 ° C is set. Pasteurization in the oven of glass containers continues until moisture completely evaporates from their surface.
Heat treatment of cans in the microwave oven
Prepare glass containers for canning products can also be in the microwave. To do this, the bottom of the containers must be covered with water approximately 1 cm. Pasteurization in a microwave oven involves heat treatment of cans at a power of about 800 W for 5 minutes. If the above procedure is followed, the packaging will be steadily spilled.
Pasteurization of cans with blanks
Quite often there is a need for pasteurization not only of glass containers, which is used for preservation, but also for the finished product. Usually, caviar, salads, lecho, other vegetable dishes need this. Do not require temperature treatment before blockage in jars for long-term storage of tomatoes, pickled cucumbers, jam.
What is pasteurization with blanks? The procedure assumes the following:
- banks filled with ready-made products are covered with lids, which are previously exposed to boiling;
- the glass container prepared in this way is placed in a pan;
- the cans are covered with warm water in such a way that the liquid reaches about the shoulders of the containers, but does not touch the neck;
- at the bottom of the pan it is desirable to put a wooden circle in advance, which will not allow the tare to rub against each other during boiling;
- finally, the containers are heat treated, then they are pulled out and ordered.
How long should pasteurization of the glass container with the preforms placed in it last? If the products are put in cans of 1 liter, enough boiling for 10-15 minutes. Expose the pasteurization of two-liter capacity will be about 20 minutes. As for the three-liter container, the latter is pasteurized together with the preforms for about 30 minutes. These time intervals are applicable for preparation for canning of fruits, liquid salads, tomatoes. Fried meals need to be pasteurized for a few minutes longer.
There are several recommendations, the adherence to which will avoid trouble during the pasteurization of cans and storage of corked products:
- For canning it is necessary to use exclusively new covers. Products that have been used, which contain scratches on the surface or deformation, will not allow you to count on long-term storage of blanks.
- Before preserving, you must thoroughly clean the food. It is desirable to wash the blanks several times under running water.
- When pasteurizing the container in a saucepan, do not put it on the exposed bottom of a metal container with boiling water. After all, in this case, the glass can easily burst.
So we found out what are the ways for quality sterilization of cans for preservation at home. Finally, it should be noted only that compliance with the features of the technological process of preparing products for long-term storage in the off-season is the key to consuming safe, appetizing food.