What to feed children with diarrhea? The child has diarrhea: the causes
Diarrhea is classified by physicians as repeated evacuation of the intestine, accompanied by intense elimination of liquid feces. This condition can be especially dangerous for children, which is due to rapid dehydration of the body. Parents need to know what to feed their children with diarrhea in order to help the child to have a normal breakdown.
Causes of Diarrhea
A small family member can experience diarrhea due to an excessively intense intestinal peristalsis, when its contents simply do not have time to digest properly. The cause of increased activity of the body can be covered in overeating, nervous overexcitation or food poisoning. In infants, these disorders are due to teething. In older children, a food lump can ferment in the intestines due to insufficient digestion of carbohydrates.
Among other provoking factors, infectious diseases, digestive failures, and incorrect nutrition are noted. Regardless of the reasons, the stool can be mushy or watery.
Diarrhea is dangerous!
Such conditions can deplete the child's body and cause serious dehydration. If the baby has fever and is constantly sick, this is the reason for immediate medical intervention. Darkening of the stool and bloody inclusions can indicate internal bleeding. It is important to understand what to feed children with diarrhea and how to properly organize a drinking regimen.
With the slightest deterioration in the child's well-being, parents should be sensitive to the problems that concern him. The main signs of diarrhea are as follows:
- Kroha complains of pains in the abdomen.
- In the intestines, there is a sensation of bubbling, rumbling.
- Characteristic frothy stool with fetid odor.
Principles of dietary nutrition
The main advice on what to feed the children with diarrhea is given by the doctor, relying on the actual condition.
The general rules are as follows:
- Dairy products should be excluded from the diet.
- The gastrointestinal tract needs rest and recovery, so you should give up heavy, fatty foods (depending on the degree of diarrhea manifestations, the abstinence period is 1-5 days).
- Showing abundant drink - to compensate for fluid loss.
- When identifying fermentation processes, it is necessary to limit the use of carbohydrates, giving preference to protein foods, for example, fish, eggs, lean meats.
- With putrefactive diarrhea, the protein menu is excluded. In the diet are introduced jelly, potatoes, dry biscuits, rice porridge. With diarrhea of this type, you can consume sugar.
As the condition of the baby improves, the range of dishes widens, but raw foods are consumed only after full recovery.
Diet in case of mild intestinal disorders
Many parents are wondering what to feed children with diarrhea in case of minor disorders. If diarrhea is not accompanied by pain, nausea, refusal of food, it is recommended to exclude foods characterized by laxative action or initiating high production of bile. These are vegetable crops, mushrooms (for children over 12 years old), baked pastries, fatty meat, smoked products, milk.
When diarrhea is better to switch to food, which was brought to readiness for a couple. Cereals should be cooked on water, rough coarse fiber is excluded. Very useful are crunches.
Restoration of the body
During the recovery phase, the children's menu is supplemented with sour-milk food. Well, if the products contain lactobacilli, bifidobacteria and prebiotics. At this time, it is still necessary to refrain from boiling broths, canned food, whole milk.
If the infant is sick
Immediately after the onset of diarrhea and vomiting, it is necessary to call a doctor. Before the brigade arrives, it is better to follow these recommendations:
- The infant should be offered a mixture or breast milk more often than usual.
- When diarrhea in a child, the nature of the mixture can not be changed.
- After each episode of diarrhea, the baby is given a drink, for which you can use a syringe without a needle or a teaspoon.
- If the baby vomited after drinking, it is necessary to give it anew. The liquid can be given in small portions every 15 minutes.
Unstable chair with teething
Why diarrhea develops in infants? If his teeth erupt, this condition is often accompanied by diarrhea. This is due to the fact that the child has intense salivation: he swallows much more saliva than usual. As a result, the intestinal peristalsis is sharply increased. Diarrhea with teeth (eruption) is always watery. The duration of the disorder does not exceed three days with episodicity 2-3 times a day.
If the baby does not experience deterioration of health, special treatment is not required for him, it is necessary only to reduce the load on the digestive tract. If the baby is on mixed feeding, it is desirable to increase the dose of breast milk, reducing the intake of the mixture. After the acute period has passed, the standard food is restored.
Children older than three years as a fixing agent can be given drinks with astringent properties, for example, a decoction of pomegranate crusts or oak bark (1 tsp 2-3 times a day).
You can not force a baby to eat - it can trigger an attack of nausea. The size of portions should be small, so that the weakened digestive system does not experience overload.
The main drink should be presented with warm boiled or mineral water, tea.
How to understand that the actions taken are effective?
According to medical observations, with all the recommendations, diarrhea lasts for 1-3 days. The first signs of recovery are improved appetite, stable activity. All signs of the disorder quickly reduce to a minimum.
Parents need to scrupulously observe the state of their child. With diarrhea, the child should not have fever, frequent vomiting and bloody stools - these are all signs of an intestinal infection that requires moving a patient to a hospital.