In Soviet times, the ceiling chandelier was the main and almost the only appliance used to illuminate the room. Today the sconce came to help this traditional source of light. They are very fond of designers, and not for nothing. After all, wall lights are not only an additional source of artificial glow, but also an important element of decor, performing a number of specific functions.
What is the sconce
The wall lamp is a luminaire which, with the help of special brackets, is attached directly to the wall. The glow from him is soft, diffused. But when using certain models of lampshades, the light can be made directional.
One of the advantages of such a lighting device is the convenience of its installation. But the main advantage of the wall is that this light source performs a number of design functions.
Functions of wall lights
A sconce is a light source that performs several functions:
- Creation of local lighting. To solve this problem, the wall lamp is placed next to the picture or mirror. You can also place a sconce over the bed. This will make the reading process more comfortable, for example. In this case, the light will not disturb others. The actual use of sconces in small corridors with low ceilings, when the use of a ceiling chandelier can clutter an already tight space. It would also be advisable to place wall lamps along the stairs.
- Create special lighting. Correctly combining the light chandeliers and sconces, you can create a certain mood in the room. In order to give the interior a festive and solemn appearance, you should simultaneously light both ceiling and wall lighting. If we confine ourselves to the included sconces, the room will be dominated by an intimate atmosphere, which has a quiet connection. Mandatory is the use of chandeliers and wall lights, made in the same style.
- Zoning of space. Correct placement of several sconces makes it possible to visually delineate the room, dividing it into functional areas. If you hang a sconce near the sofa or bed, this will indicate the rest area. You can also attach a wall lamp next to one or another piece of decor, thereby emphasizing the vase, statuette, canvas or a rare collection.
- Interior decoration. Modern sconces can be made in different styles, from antique and ending with the direction of hi-tech. That is why such wall lamps successfully cope with the role of decorative decoration and become an integral part of the interior.
Bra can be classified according to two characteristics:
- in form;
- on the direction of illumination.
Depending on the shape of the wall lamps are divided into the following types:
- Closed. Such light sources are made in the form of a matt or transparent plafond of geometric shape. Lamps made of glass, metal or plastic are made.
- "Halves". The shape of such sconces is also geometric, however, the upper part of them is cut off.
- Decorative. There are wall lights in the form of lanterns, flowers, candlesticks, birds and many other designs. They can be decorated with fabric, wood, crystal, stones. With the help of such lighting elements it is possible to decorate the room in a certain style, giving it an individuality.
Depending on the direction of lighting, wall lights are of such types:
- Direct glow. The design of these lighting elements allows you to direct lighting to a specific subject.
- Mainly direct glow. In this case, most of the lighting is directed to a certain point, the rest is scattered.
- Uniform glow. With such light sources it is convenient to read, however, these wall lamps do not exert special influence on the atmosphere of the room.
- Broken glow. In this case, the light from the sconce is directed to the upper part of the walls and the ceiling and is reflected from the surfaces. Such lighting creates a romantic atmosphere in the room due to its softness.
How to choose a wall light
When choosing a sconce, follow the recommendations given. Wall lamps should be made in the same style as the chandelier. If this condition is not met, the interior will no longer be harmonious, the room will look untidy.
When choosing a sconce for lighting mirrors, you need to stay on paired wall lamps. In this case, the lighting should come from both sides.
To emphasize the beauty of the picture, it is recommended to purchase wall light sources made of frosted glass.
If there are low ceilings in the room, then the glow from the sconce should be directed upwards, to the ceiling. Conversely, with high ceilings, light must be directed downward.
Narrow corridors should be provided with small sconces. They will visually expand the room.
After the lamp is selected, it is necessary to attach it to the wall. How to connect the sconce? This can easily be done independently, after reading the instructions attached to the device.
How to properly use wall lights in different rooms
You can install a sconce in any room, from the nursery to the corridor. Below, the features of placing sconces in such rooms as a bedroom, a living room and a bathroom will be described.
In the bedroom, wall lamps are traditionally installed above the dressing table or at the head of the bed. In this room, the task of the wall is to create a soft, muted lighting that will help to relax.
In the living room, the wall lights are better positioned next to the sofa, near the bar or fireplace. In this room the sconces will complement the main lighting and act as an ornament.
In the bathroom, the most important is the mirror lighting. It is right next to this element and the paired sconces are placed. However, often in small rooms of this type, wall lamps successfully replace the ceiling light elements.
Now you know where in the main rooms it is better to install a sconce. The photos shown in the article will help to properly place the wall lights.
The sconce is not only a device for creating additional artificial lighting, but also an important decor element that performs a number of specific functions. Wall lamps can be classified according to their shape and the direction of emission emitted by them. The article gives recommendations on the choice and proper placement of such lighting elements in your home.