Airbrushes for modeling: tips for choosing
Airbrushes for modeling are technical devices that facilitate the process of creating accurate, original drawings on miniature cars, motorcycles, aircraft, protective helmets, household items.
On what important points should you concentrate to choose an effective means for painting work? Let's figure out how to choose an airbrush for modeling.
Principle of operation
Airbrushes for modeling work as follows:
- in the pneumatic valve of the device pressure is formed;
- after pumping, air penetrates through a narrow hole, entering the near-jet region;
- here, mixing with air, paint is supplied, which is subsequently sprayed through the nozzle;
- air supply is provided by the compressor.
Individual airbrushes for modelism differ from each other according to the principle of functioning:
- Devices with external mixing of paints are an extremely common solution that is used to create vague drawings, background images. With the help of devices of this category it is difficult to create a clear picture.
- Instruments with internal mixing of colors - a pretty good, low-cost option for beginners who are engaged in decorating models at home.
- Single-action systems - it is only possible to adjust the level of incoming air. Paints are fed continuously, in a uniform amount. Mixing can be both external and internal.
- Fixed action airbrushes are equipped with special starting devices, which are responsible for regulating the incoming dye by drawing the needle. Represented mainly by expensive, professional models, which are used for the most difficult painting jobs.
- Independent airbrushes - it is possible to separately adjust the air supply and paint.
Work with airbrush in the model is provided by the compressor. The latter maintains and pumps the necessary pressure level, which contributes to the best distribution of the paint.
In order to choose an airbrush according to individual needs, it is necessary to start from the pressure indicators (indicated in kgf / cm 2) and the capacity (cu.m./min.) Of the compressor. The first characteristic determines the uniformity of the distribution of paint, the second is responsible for the speed of work.
The highest efficiency differs piston compressors:
- Single-stage work from a standard 220 V power supply. Therefore, they are applicable primarily for work in the home. Such devices easily distribute lacquer and primer in small areas.
- Two-stage possess several pistons. Here there is an intermediate cooler, which allows maintaining a stably high level of pressure, passing compressed air to the outlet in portions, as needed.
Another type of compressors are membrane devices that pump air through vibrations of a layer of elastic material. In view of the rapid abrasion of the membrane, such means are suitable for performing a small amount of work with long breaks.
The main advantage of the airbrush is the possibility of creating uniform coatings. In fact, masterfully mastering an ordinary brush, understanding the peculiarities of individual colors, you can get really uniform surfaces. However, airbrushes for modeling allow you to cope with this task faster and get a better result. Therefore, the main advantages of such adaptations are the speed and uniformity of the painting.